Team Hooman discussion

Glamour in Glass (Glamourist Histories, #2)
This topic is about Glamour in Glass
Glamourist Series discussion > Glamourist #2 - Glamour in Glass

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rebecca (rebecita) I wasn't sure what to expect from this sequel but I trusted Scott that it would add more genre elements. I didn't expect espionage!

I loved that it took a tiny twist into alternate history, and now everytime I see the word Waterloo out in the world I mentally substitute 'Quatre Blas'. Has everyone read the awesome Temeraire series? Napoleonic era but with dragon airships?

So much appreciation for the treatment of family planning (or lack thereof ugh) in this book.

Also don't skip the afterword in which the author describes her process of checking her work for anachronisms by filtering it against Jane Austen's complete works 😮

message 2: by Scott (last edited Jul 11, 2018 12:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott | 59 comments Mod
I have to say Glamour in Glass is probably my favorite of the series, though admittedly I may be biased because I love spy novels and military history.
I was curious to see how it would fit in with the first book, especially since the romance plot was concluded so neatly in Milk and Honey. Mary has described her elevator pitch for Milk and Honey as “Jane Austen with magic,” and while that’s certainly accurate and is prevalent throughout the series, this what showed it could become much more than that.
I think the family planning stuff was interesting too. You don’t see such a realistic take on it even in “vanilla” historical fiction.
I love the Temeraire series too. If you like this series and that one, check out Marie Brennan’s Natural History of Dragons series.

I don't think the audiobook version has the afterword, at least not to my memory. But, she has mentioned her process on Writing Excuses. Funny enough, a few years ago, Patrick Rothfuss held a contest on Twitter to see if any of his friends could fool his followers into believing they were him, and Mary used the same process to actually win the contest. http://maryrobinettekowal.com/journal...