NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

Need Help? [Ask the Group] > Quoting books/Posting images of comics

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne (EvanescentFlame) | 7 comments Are we allowed to post limited images from say a comic, manga, or childrens book along with our review?

Are we allowed to quote the book?

Can we do this once the book has been released if we are reviewing after the release date? NetGalley FAQ could not answer my questions, so here I am! :)

Jen - The Tolkien Gal (fayepixie) | 25 comments Anne wrote: "Are we allowed to post limited images from say a comic, manga, or childrens book along with our review?

Are we allowed to quote the book?

Can we do this once the book has been released if we are ..."

Hello :) I've done both in copious amounts. The only time I don't add images or quotes is if the publisher's asked me to keep the hold back the ENTIRE review before release date. I've never encountered a problem with publishers or authors and they seem to prefer this. I also haven't seen an official NG rule against either :)

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne (EvanescentFlame) | 7 comments So I shouldn't get into any trouble ( for the most part. :) unless someone wants to be a big meanie) for say, posting a picture of the middle of a comic if I'm using it to reference the art style or something? I'm glad to hear that someone has.

Jen - The Tolkien Gal (fayepixie) | 25 comments Anne wrote: "So I shouldn't get into any trouble ( for the most part. :) unless someone wants to be a big meanie) for say, posting a picture of the middle of a comic if I'm using it to reference the art style o..."

I post at least five images for every comic I review. If anything, publishers seem to prefer this as some of those reviews have been used on their homepage. I think they prefer that their comic is seen and not just heard. :)

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne (EvanescentFlame) | 7 comments Awesome. Thank you so much for the info! It really helps a lot!

Jen - The Tolkien Gal (fayepixie) | 25 comments Anne wrote: "Awesome. Thank you so much for the info! It really helps a lot!"

No problem. Happy reading! :)

message 7: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (wheninapril) | 36 comments I don't think its a problem. If it is, the publisher will let you know about it. I have reviewed 3 children books. and took snapshot of 3 pages of each to post with the review. (for giving a sample of the gorgeous illustrations). They did not complain. they even featured my reviews and made me auto-approved!! <3

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne (EvanescentFlame) | 7 comments Tale of a Bookworm wrote: "I don't think its a problem. If it is, the publisher will let you know about it. I have reviewed 3 children books. and took snapshot of 3 pages of each to post with the review. (for giving a sample..."

Awesome! Its good to know that more than one person has had success with this. I couldn't find any info on it on NG so I had to ask here.

message 9: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettytaylor) | 1 comments I have also posted a few photos of pages of children's books since the illustrations are critical. I have never had a complaint.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 87 comments There are a lot of books which ask that you not quote the ARC because the content could change before it's released (and you wouldn't know unless you bought the final version after the release). Basically, they don't want you quoting a line that could get removed or changed before it's released. If they have this notice, it will be at the start of the book.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 4 comments I just reviewed a children’s book that specifically requested no quotes. Although I’ll often make a note of quotes that resonate with me in my journal, I generally don’t make it a habit to quote books in my reviews. I think it’s a personal choice.