What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Hero writes romance novels under a pen name

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate | 122 comments This is a newer contemporary or romantic comedy book where the hero is the author of romance books. He got injured and when he was recovering at his aunt’s house, he found her romance books and started reading them and got inspired to write his own. He started releasing them under a different name and they became bestsellers and he was making a lot of money off of them.

The heroine has either read his books before or she’s some sort of editor and that’s how she’s seen his books before.

He hides the fact that he writes romance novels from her in the beginning of the story

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin Hodgson | 51 comments Book Boyfriend by Claire Kingsley has this plot.

message 3: by L J (last edited Aug 03, 2018 11:50AM) (new)

L J I've read several man writing romance novels with female editor or agent but the aunt isn't ringing any bells. Anything else you remember? When you say newer can you guess about what year?
Of all the ones I've read with that general plot the funniest so far was Single White Vampire by Lynsay Sands. Lucern writes highly successful paranormal romances based on stories about his family. Kate is his new editor who is determined to drag him to romance conventions and introduce him to fans. ETA: one of the older generation, Marguerite, is frequently referred to as Aunt Marguerite.
I put Book Boyfriend and Ink & Lies on my tbr list.

message 4: by Kris (last edited Aug 03, 2018 11:42AM) (new)

Kris | 36601 comments Mod
A guess - Exquisite Betrayal by A.M. Hargrove?

Kate, what's the tone - romantic, angsty, steamy/clean, funny, etc.?

How and where do the couple meet? Love/hate at first sight? What job does he pretend to have? Does a family member/friend pretend to be the author for him?

What's the location - country, region, big city/small town?

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6966 comments Mod
Ok, I've also added the Ink & Lies book to my tbr mountain range. Sigh, I read a book and add 3 new books to the pile. But I have perfect faith. God will not let me die until I've read every single book on that TBR pile. (I saw a similar saying on a car bumper sticker--except it was about fabric and quilting. But hey, it works for reading too, right?)

And L. J.'s suggest about the Argeneau series could be the one you are looking for Kate, especially if you've read any of the other books and gotten the name mixed up. The first 3 or 4 books in the series all have Marguerite as the mother of one of the MCs. After that, she's the Aunt and busy being a match maker. (Well, and also a time or two she's the sister-in-law who is being a match maker.) The series has a lot of light and fun parts and some darker parts. But this is a series that I heartily recommend.

message 6: by L J (last edited Aug 03, 2018 07:31PM) (new)

L J Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Ok, I've also added the Ink & Lies book to my tbr mountain range. Sigh, I read a book and add 3 new books to the pile. But I have perfect faith. God will not let me die until I've r..."

Thanks. I like your tbr saying. I want a book bag with that on it.
It seems most of the elements fit SWV and the ones that don't fit are elsewhere in the series. The main thing that made me doubt it? No mention in description of character being named Kate but that is not something I would count on remembering.

message 7: by Erin (last edited Aug 31, 2018 09:51PM) (new)

Erin Hodgson | 51 comments Capture A Shadow by Leigh Michaels, maybe? I'm on mobile and it won't let me add links for some reason.

When top-selling romance novelist Valerie St. John announced that she was giving up her career, and disappeared into obscurity in the Midwest, editor Shelby Stuart was appalled. Unless she could persuade Valerie to write another book for her, Shelby would be fired. But the man who was supposed to be helping her look for Valerie -- Mark Buchanan -- seemed to be more interested in Shelby herself than in the search, and Shelby felt as if she was hunting a shadow.

message 8: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Original Love, maybe?

message 9: by Temeritous (new)

Temeritous | 20 comments Haven't this one yet, but could this be it? Word Play by Amalie Silver

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
Kate, are you still looking for this or did you find it?