Addermire Institute (Semi-Advanced) discussion

Syracuse > | cafe epistles

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

The Outsider (Whales or Whatever) (davekatislife) | 1501 comments Mod
description

message 2: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek led Leila forward after quite a bit of walking and idle chatting flirting, stopping and gazing up at the banner. "It's small" he spoke up, "Not a lot of people come here but... seems nice" he shrugged, gesturing for her to follow as he stepped into the cafe.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Looking around, Leila took in a deep, lungful of flower-scented air. Mixed with water and the smells of various things within the street. Pausing for a moment, the short woman admired the area before following Derek's disappearing form.

message 4: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek frowned faintly when he noticed many people within the rather lively venue had turned to stare at him. Dire wolves didn't exactly have the best reputation - dire wolves of the moon influence were even worse. They eased up when they saw Leila though. The smell of food was heavy in the air - music from the karaoke machine did well to set the atmosphere. He glanced at her, "... You wanna order?" he asked, glancing up at the menu.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Fully focused on her surroundings, Leila didn't register the tension that relaxed when she stepped forward so that she was at Derek's side.

"Hmm?" Pulling her eyes away from the walls, the karaoke machine, everything-Leila let her attention return to her companion, "Sure," she shrugged, plopping down in a seat across from the dire wolf.

message 6: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

The seats were elevated a bit, about half the size of bar stools. He glanced back at the stage where someone was singing a somewhat off tune version of the friend's theme song. They seemed to be having fun though. He turned his attention to the menu, tilting his head and turning to face her. "... It's okay? Here I mean" he asked.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

At his question, Leila's face erupted into a grin-which caused those who were glancing at them to form the traces of a smile as well, call it a "magic" ability she has ((not actual magic, tho)). "Of course it's okay, the atmosphere is amazing and really comfortable," she went on, eyes flicking back down to the menu in her hands.

message 8: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

The corners of Derek's lips perked up faintly and he nodded, "... good" he replied, deciding finally that he'd get a plate of pasta. Maybe a dessert later too. "You could sing.. if you want" he offered, gesturing towards the machine on stage.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Choosing a simple salad with milk for a drink-Leila likes milk, who needs water, pfft-the woman glanced up in surprise at Derek's suggestion. Thinking of the days when she was younger, how her House had always encouraged her to sing and be free, how Saffron's alumni members would babysit her when Leila was too young to attend classes.

Shaking herself out of memory lane, Leila laughed softly, face serene. "I wouldn't know what to sing," she pointed out.

message 10: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek thought for a moment, watching her closely, not realizing he'd leaned forward. She was just magnetic in that way. "... Anything" he shrugged awkwardly.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Standing up, Leila strode over to the stage and whispered the name of a song to one of the men ushering the last singer off stage. Twisting her purse in her hands, Leila stepped up to the stage and fixed the mic so that it would match her height. And then she sang.

(view spoiler)

message 12: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek's eyes widened and he swallowed harshly, holding onto the edge of the table so tightly his knuckles whitened. His brows furrowed against his forehead and he stilled completely, ignoring the waitress even as she approached to take his order.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Letting the song come to a gentle close, Leila's eyes flickered over the room nervously before she hurried back down to her seat. She was shaking with nerves. Singing for her House and for Akihiko was one thing, singing for a crowd was another. Greeting the waitress, Leila ordered her salad and milk before waving a hand at Derek, "I have no idea what he's happening, though."

message 14: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek still stared at her, eyes wide. He only realized the waitress was there at all when she spoke up about it. He glanced at the woman, "spaghetti" he muttered, sitting back in hair chair and biting his lip, "That was really ... good" he spoke up after she'd left, unable to fully voice how he felt.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Leila was silent for a moment before erupting in nervous laughter, "U-uhm, sure... Right, thank you..." But she sort of doubted that, she knew her voice was clear and her notes were spot on-but Leila just... Always hated her own voice. Never liked having to hear herself recorded and then played for her, Leila always felt an indescribable dislike for having to listen to her own singing-even talking!

message 16: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek shook his head, "No it was.. You're really good.. I..." he blushed, looking away and sighing quietly. He was never good at this. Gosh she probably thought he was so stupid.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Curiosity peaked at Derek's obvious uncertainty, Leila wondered how much the poor man could take with all these butterflies. At least, they felt like butterflies for Leila-or squirming caterpillars... Painfully familiar but on the brink of something new. "Thank you," Leila repeated, with a steadier voice.

message 18: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek glanced up at her and leveled his gaze, nodding and glancing at the stage once more. French had been his first language, if he spoke long sentences in English the accent was faint, but he'd spent a long time trying to hide that. He liked to sing though, he just didn't really know any English songs. "Do you sing a lot?" he asked.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

"Hmm... Used to, I really only sang for my animals and for the Saffron members." Leila sighed, eyes flicking to the right as she was caught up in a memory. "You know, I first learned how to sing in Latin-English came after. I know it's weird, weirder still since latin is a 'dead language'," at the last part, the teacher turned back around to use air quotations.

message 20: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek genuinely chuckled at that and nodded, "it's still a good language - latin I mean, very pretty... suits you" he replied, his voice a little bit over its usual quieted, hushed tone. Their drinks arrived and he gazed down at the little martini he'd gotten. He figured since they were just walked, some alcohol couldn't hurt.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Blushing, Leila grinned, "Why thank you!" Pausing, the woman considered whether or not to tell him... "The song I sang was for you, y'know." And there she went, sticking her hand into the flame and praying not to get burnt-after all, Leila had been burned before. It had been a downright awful experience, and took a lot of cartons of ice cream and "sick days" from work.

message 22: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

His expression softened and he sipped his drink, "... yeah?" he replied, almost unable to believe her. He couldn't really imagine someone singing for him. His chest ached and he wasn't sure why, he wasn't sure why a lot of things were happening actually. He wasn't sure he cared.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Eyeing her glass of milk, Leila moved to grab it when she took note of Derek's disbelieving tone. Hazel optics flashing to meet Derek's, Leila narrowed her eyes-serious as can be. "Yes. I've never met anyone like you, Derek. You're different-I've been in only one relationship, with similar meetings, different setting and different person. She wasn't like you, she was probably the opposite. But I like to think that my past as given me a chance to be much more careful on who I choose to sing to. And I only sing to my family-the Saffron House-and my beloved, the animals." Face releasing all tension, Leila picked up her tall glass of milk and took one long sip before her fingers began to tap on the table.

"I want to make this work, but it's scary-I'm going into uncharted waters. We're moving on from what I know and going into something new." Locking eyes with the man across from her, Leila sat up, straight and tall. "Do you want this to work out?" It was a simple question, but there was a weight heavier than the Earth itself behind those seven, single syllable words.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

((ooff. This was a long post))

message 25: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek stared at her the whole time, watching her closely before nodding in reply. "y-yes of course" he whispered. He wasn't sure what else to say. He wanted desperately for it to work the moment he laid eyes on her. He couldn't quite explain it, a primal demand.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Slumping back down, Leila's lips tipped upwards, "Great, cause I can't make another speech for the life of me." Moving forward so the her arms and elbows propped her upper body up on the table, and so that Leila's face was close to Derek's, the chatty woman went on, "So, this is date one... We really should try seeing a movie next time-I love older movies, especially musicals."

message 27: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

If he were being honest he was genuinely surprised by Leila's bold monologue. If he were being blunt he found it incredibly hot attractive of her to go and make statements like that. He swallowed, eyes flickering down to her lips before he quickly finished up his martini, "What is your favorite musical?" he asked.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

((I love the Derek x Leila ship more and more, with each passing post..... :D))

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

"Hmm..." Considering, Leila bobbed her head from side to side before shrugging. The musicals with Julie Andrews," she finally said, "Mary Poppins is a classic, and hard not to love. But The Sound of Music was absolutely wonderful-I love both."

message 30: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek thought for a moment, nodding, feeling just the slightest bit lightheaded. He ordered another drink though, just as the food came, plates set in front of them. "mmm haven't seen any" he answered truthfully. "Show me them sometime"

<< yeah same they've got great chemistry >>

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Placing a hand to her heart, Leila clicked her tongue like a mother hen, "It's absolutely mandatory that you see at least one musical with Julie Andrews," picking up her fork, Leila pierced the lettuce and pushed it into her mouth. Chewing slowly, she began to think of all the musicals she knew. Derek didn't seem to be a musical kind of guy, both in regards to music or movies with songs. But Leila might be surprised...

message 32: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek was about half way through his second drink when he felt the full effects, sitting back in his chair and loosening up a bit. "What got you into all that old stuff?" he asked. He didn't mean it in a rude way, he was genuinely inquiring, the faintest hints of his accent bleeding through his words that were spoken at a normal volume, which was a stark contract to his usual soft spoken tone.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Surprised to find Derek wasn't whispering like a frightened child ((no offense to the man, of course-but he spoke so...

quietly

)) "Well... I don't know, when I was growing up the Saffron House-the Institute in general-wasn't as updated. And the Saffron House didn't have many movies that weren't VHS tapes. I ratted around when I was bored and found mounds of treasure! Like an old egg beater, a bunch of Julie Andrews movies-that's how I fell in love with Sound of Music and Mary Poppins, and a collection of old books." Which she still had, and needed to get repaired at some point... They were in poor shape.

message 34: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek nodded, "Wow... Okay yeah" he replied, "I was in Brigmore" he added. It was unsurprisingly really. Seemed like all the bad eggs went to Brigmore. "I like.. Hitchcock" he added, eyes flickering over her form once more as he struggled to silence the wolf within him. It was difficult being half actual animal.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Tapping her fork to her plate, Leila tilted her head to the right, "Hmm... Hitchcock. I haven't seen any of his movies, admittedly, but I've heard that a lot of them are thrillers, right?" She was also aware that Hitchcock was a well known film-maker, but other than that... She was pretty much lost.

message 36: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

"Yeah thrillers, they're thrillers, spooky stuff" he replied, leaning forward on his hand - of which he was using to hold his head up, "you are.. so pretty" he mumbled, blinking, "I'm sorry I- I didn't mean to say that I just... I should stop drinking" he pushed his glass to the side.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Copying his movements, Leila raised a brow, "Are you sure it was wise to have two martinis? Are you aware that it could take more than a couple of hours to get over just a single martini?" Trust me... I would know.. She recalled that, on a dare, Leila had tried to down as many drinks as she could-the result was.. Multiple visits to the toilet and then passing out. She woke up with a headache that kept Leila from thinking straight the day after. "Hmm... Though, alcohol does seem to get you to talk more-still. No more martinis."

message 38: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

"Psh yeah" he waved it off dismissively, no longer critically aware of how many people were staring at him, "I'll be fine" he twisted pasta along his fork, holding it up to her, "there's no meat" he added quickly, keeping in mind she was a vegetarian. His mind was clearer though, looser and open. Gorgeous he thought to himself, he was half dog after all.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Raised brow not shifting as her gaze darted over to the pasta, Leila shrugged-why not? It was just pasta. Capturing the fork and leaning back as she chewed the pasta, expression thoughtful, she nodded slowly, "I like this place," Leila commented, admiring the cozy building once more before turning back around. "Thanks for bringing me here," she said cheerfully, though her smile was less brilliant as usual. More soft, gentle-appreciative.

message 40: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

He genuinely grinned, nodding, "I like it too" he agreed, glancing back at the stage, "It's quaint and.. cozy. Do you .. not go out much either?" he inquired. It was a popular joint - he figured someone like her would have come by at some point.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

"The alcohol must really be setting in, cause I'm fairly certain you're smiling right now." Leila teased, using her index finger to poke the man's arm. "And, no, I don't really go outside of the Institute grounds-unless I'm buying supplies, but they're always short, strictly business outings." Finishing off her long-since forgotten salad, as well as her milk, Leila felt a spark of amusement. It's good we're not driving, or I'd have to drive. Which was fine, of course, except for the fact that Leila also disliked driving. Cars were fine, being put at the wheel wasn't.

message 42: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek glanced down at her hand and suddenly took it gently in his own, "Your hands are so small" he furrowed his brows, gazing over them. They were so delicate and feminine. She drove him crazy. He stopped when he realized how weird this probably was, releasing her from his grip, "I.. mm. You take your job really seriously" he added.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

For once, Leila made no comment-not like she could. Her face was flaming red and the woman was more focused on not squeaking like a mouse. When Derek did release her hand, however, Leila immediately felt the cold of the surrounding air-she also felt like a wall of security that'd been forming had stopped and was beginning to fall apart. Unlike Agatha, Derek made Leila feel a lot safer, a lot better than anyone else could. House Saffron was comfortable, and the people were loyal-but Leila never felt the level of security she was beginning to feel around Derek than what she already felt with her fellow Saffron alumni. "Oh, uh-yes. I do, I try."

message 44: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

He noticed her expression, the shift in her scent, tilting his head quizzically, "Are you.. okay?" he asked, leaning forward and pressing the back of his hand to her cheek, "You're not sick are you?" he questioned further, growing concerned, probably absurdly so.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

"No, I'm-it's," waving to her face, Leila internally berated herself, keep your cool, c'mon woman. Are you seriously becoming a stuttering mess-now?? "I'm blushing," she finally murmured, pulling Derek's hand from her cheek and instead laying the man's hand flat on the table. But not before tucking her own smaller hands into the safety of Derek's. "I'm perfectly well and healthy, I rarely get sick-if ever."

message 46: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

He held her hand there, glancing up at her, brows raised like a confused puppy before he suddenly smirked, "You're embarrassed? Because I think you're pretty?" he asked almost casually.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

"OH, now you're all comfortable in your own skin-guess it took about six ounces of alcohol to get you that way, hmm?" Leila cocked an eyebrow, lips rising upward to reveal shining white teeth in a clearly delighted grin. "And yes, it's not every day I'm called pretty." Sure, plenty of people called Leila attractive, lovely, nice, blah blah blah. But such a simple, yet full of meaning, word like "pretty" was just so nice and fresh in Leila's ears.

message 48: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek sat back and poked at the pasta with his fork, "You're gorgeous and you should know that" he murmured, not quite realizing he'd said that out loud. "do you want a dessert?" he asked suddenly. He wanted to get her something sweet, he wanted to get her anything she wanted.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Leila felt another blush coming along when the word "dessert" was mentioned. "I live for dessert," Leila proclaimed, nodding vigorously, "I can pay for it, of course." By now, she'd assumed that Derek could-but it was so odd not splitting the check with him. Whenever Leila did have her friends go out and bring food back to the Institute-usually when she was swamped with work-they would all divvy up the amount of money they each had to give up for the bill. Dates were different, she wasn't sure if Derek or herself should pay or half it. It should've been obvious-but Leila was blind as a bat about some things.

message 50: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek shook his head, gaze lingering over her for a moment before he turned his eyes down to the menu, "mmm it's fine I've got it" he said simply, "ice cream? Or... pie? Both?" he thought about it, weighing the options out in his mind. You he thought to himself, still not looking up. He was really glad he'd stopped at two drinks.

« previous 1 3