Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #1)
This topic is about A Natural History of Dragons
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > A Natural History of Dragons [July 14, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
July 14th.

message 2: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1768 comments I started this the other day,for another group. Not far with it, though.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7854 comments Ahh I adored this series. Hope whoever is reading enjoys! :)

message 4: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 3 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7555 comments Mod
I loved it too. ^_^

message 5: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1613 comments Checking in!

Looking forward to this!

Delitealex | 403 comments Looking forward to this

message 7: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 17897 comments Mod
I might join if I have the time... this has been on my radar for awhile... and Temeraire ended back in May...

message 8: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1613 comments I really want to read Temeraire. I have just finished Uprooted and started Spinning Silver though. Have you read them yet?

message 9: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

I read Uprooted back when it came out, and really enjoyed it... planning to read Spinning Silver at some point...

Uprooted is a pretty divisive book around here, tho :) ... I know Petrik & Mayim rated it one star... they really didn't like it...

message 10: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1613 comments I really enjoyed Uprooted though there were a lot of places in the book where I had to skim through this book.

I looked at the group activity for the book and didn't find their reviews but I found Melanie's https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I think she explains many things that were not that great with the book very well but I will still give it 4 Stars.

message 11: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1613 comments Iain wrote: "I read Uprooted back when it came out, and really enjoyed it... planning to read Spinning Silver at some point...

Uprooted is a pretty divisive book around here, tho :) ... I know Petrik & Mayim r..."

Spinning Silver starts off very well!

Saar The Book owl | 2057 comments No! Why do I have to see this now?? I have it on my list, but none of the libraries have it.

message 13: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1613 comments I started this and listened to one and a half chapters.

The narrator is superb and really brings the book to life.

message 14: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena That’s good to hear. I’m on hold for the audiobook.

message 15: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1768 comments Kate Reading, isn't it? She's great.

message 16: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

I started this and am enjoying it... any book paced like this always reminds me of Sherlock Holmes and Mary Russell series, for some reason...

Narrator is Kate Reading... I'm up to Lady Trent's presentation to society to find a suitable husband...

message 17: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

I've always been a fan of this dragon chart:

Here's the link in case the image fails on my phone: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/01/88/b9/01...

message 18: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1613 comments Yes! I'm really liking Kate Reading. I'm only upto the point where they are hunting the wolf drake

message 19: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

I’m 50-75% thru now and loving this light read...and all the foreshadowing of bigger adventures to come...

message 20: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena Just started.

message 21: by Lena (last edited Jul 14, 2018 05:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena 15% in. Prey down!
That was a hilarious way to mentally think of being proposed to, but suitable for the time period.

message 22: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena 46% in. Might seem an odd thing to say about something that’s clearly fantasy but I’m enjoying the non revisionist domestic historical fiction aspects. Their 19th? Century roles have been stamped on them all their lives so it wouldn’t feel true if they suddenly acted like it was 2010. Jacob and Isabelle stumble and fight and compromise and I like them better for it.

message 23: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Agreed...

90%: (view spoiler)

message 24: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena 92% in.
EA6E5196-B58F-4D85-B2E1-D6E67582DC27.gif

Dramatic. Painful.

I probably won’t be reading Book Two.

Delitealex | 403 comments I'm halfway through.

(view spoiler)

Delitealex | 403 comments Lena wrote: "92% in.

Dramatic. Painful.

I probably won’t be reading Book Two."

You have me worried about whats gonna happen

message 28: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena You have a right to be worried.

Delitealex | 403 comments Finished I will definitely be continuing on with this series.

(view spoiler)

I agree it was dramatic and painful