YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Smell of Other People's Houses
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > The Smell of Other People's Houses by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock - Starting 11th July

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 48916 comments Mod
In Alaska, 1970, being a teenager here isn’t like being a teenager anywhere else. Ruth has a secret that she can’t hide forever. Dora wonders if she can ever truly escape where she comes from, even when good luck strikes. Alyce is trying to reconcile her desire to dance, with the life she’s always known on her family’s fishing boat. Hank and his brothers decide it’s safer to run away than to stay home—until one of them ends up in terrible danger.

Four very different lives are about to become entangled.

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments 19% (view spoiler)

I'm keen for this one. How long's it?

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments 5.5 hours I think :)

Oh wow same length as OMG!

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments 37% (view spoiler)

Shae wrote: "19% [spoilers removed]"

Yup I thought totally the same thing.

Shae wrote: "37% [spoilers removed]"

Really Shae? You have to ask 'what happened with Ray' XD I would have thought you'd know by now how babies were made :p But yeah he was such a fleeting thing. At first I thought that they were just saying because she was eating more, but then she (view spoiler)

The brothers (view spoiler)

Review: I'd heard of this short novel a little bit around on social media, and my friend borrowed it as an audio from the library, so I just raced through it today. If anything, this book was super confusing! The way all of the characters connected. I think I managed to keep track of it, and it was really interesting, but yeah just quite complex for such a short book. 4 MCs, a lot of information, lots of background, I just got slightly lost. But it's read now, and I'm glad I read it!

This book just kept on throwing out the hard stuff, I have to say! I don't think any of the characters were happy the whole novel. So many absent parents, I just had no idea who was who anymore. Hard to keep track.

message 10: by Shae (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Maddison wrote: "Shae wrote: "37% [spoilers removed]"

Really Shae? You have to ask 'what happened with Ray' XD I would have thought you'd know by now how babies were made :p But yeah he was such a fleeting thing. ..."

(view spoiler)

Ikr haha. Wow the update allows to view spoilers kn the phone!!

message 12: by Shae (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Ruth (view spoiler)

message 13: by Lane (last edited Jul 31, 2018 08:59PM) (new) - added it

Lane (crookshanksandcoffee) | 1286 comments Chapter 3 (view spoiler)
Chapter 8 (view spoiler)
Chapter 12 (view spoiler)
Finished (view spoiler)

Maybe you'll make me understand it more XD