What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Wind Blows Backward
This topic is about The Wind Blows Backward
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA novel: Years ago, a boy witnesses his father commit suicide by shooting himself. Boy is now 18, falls in love with teenage girl. Girl feels the same but her family dislikes the boy, Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass" plays a significant role. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Gonya | 5 comments Read this novel sometime between 2000 and 2007 but it could be older. A boy witnesses his father commit suicide by shooting himself. Years later, the boys is now 18 and falls in love with a teenage girl. The girl feels the same but her family dislike the boy because his father was a crook (I think he was a Ponzi schemer which is why he killed himself), walt Whitman's leave of grass plays a significant role. Boy gets into a motorcycle accident but survives. Both teenagers graduate high school and stay together. I wanna say the cover had red and black in it. maybe a motorcycle image but I can't quite remember.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
Caitlin, please add some plot details to your header since thousands of members are also looking for YA.

message 3: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Gonya | 5 comments I think the cover was red and black. I just remembered that the boy's mom was in self denial that there was anything wrong with her son after watching the father shot himself. I believe she made him go to therapy but that was about it. I also remember him asking the girl to run away with him and I believe that's when the accident happened.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36610 comments Mod
What kind of problems did the boy experience because of witnessing his father's suicide?

message 5: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Gonya | 5 comments Depression, introvert, I think he was prone to anger issues. People ostracized him (you know like teenagers) and the adults said things like "criminal like his father"

message 6: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Gonya | 5 comments I know the ending was they both graduated and he was temporarily in a wheelchair for it

message 7: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Gonya | 5 comments I found it. The Wind Blows Backwards by Mary Downing Hahn

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36610 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Caitlin. Here's the link - The Wind Blows Backward by Mary Downing Hahn.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Wind Blows Backward (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mary Downing Hahn (other topics)