2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Camille's Reading 50 in 2018

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Camille (last edited Jul 10, 2018 06:10PM) (new)

Camille | 14 comments Hello, I set a challenge for myself to read 50 books in 2018. I currently have read 23 books. They are as follows:
1) Origin by: Dan BrownOrigin
2) discognition by: Steven ShaviroDiscognition
3) Tears WE Cannot Stop: A Sermon to White America by: Michael Eric DysonTears We Cannot Stop: A Sermon to White America
4) For White Folks Who Teach in the Hood...And the Rest of Y'all too: Reality Pedagogy & Urban Education by: Christopher EmdinFor White Folks Who Teach in the Hood... and the Rest of Y'all Too: Reality Pedagogy and Urban Education
5) Teaching Critical Thinking: Practical Wisdom by; bell hooksTeaching Critical Thinking: Practical Wisdom
6) Multiplication is for White People: Raising Expectations for Other Peoples Children by: Lisa Delpit"Multiplication Is for White People": Raising Expectations for Other People's Children
7) Information Literacy & Social Justice by: Lua Gregory & Shana Higgins ed.Information Literacy and Social Justice: Radical Professional Praxis
8) How Democracies Die by: Steven Levitsky & Daniel ZiblattHow Democracies Die: What History Reveals About Our Future
9) Happiness for All? by: Carol GrahamCarol Graham
10) Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism by: Safiya Umoja NobleAlgorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism
11) A Path with Heart: A Guide Through the Perils and Promises of Spiritual Life by: Jack KornfieldA Path with Heart: A Guide Through the Perils and Promises of Spiritual Life
12) Life: THe Leading Edge of Evolutionary Biology, Genetics, Anthropology and Environmental Science Life: The Leading Edge of Evolutionary Biology, Genetics, Anthropology, and Environmental Science
13) The Global Novel: Writing the World in the 21st Century by: Adam KirschThe Global Novel: Writing the World in the 21st Century
14) Solitude: A return to the Self by: Anthony StorSolitude: A Return to the Self
15) Rocket & Lightship by: Adam KirschRocket and Lightship: Essays on Literature and Ideas
16) The Beast Reawakens: Fascism's Resurgence From Hitler's Spymasters to Today's Neo-Nazi Groups and Right Wing Extremists by: Martin A. LeeThe Beast Reawakens: Fascism's Resurgence from Hitler's Spymasters to Today's Neo-Nazi Groups & Right-wing Extremists
17) 1Q84 by: Haruki Murakami1Q84
18) Questioning Library Neutrality: Essays from Progressive Librarian Ed. Alison LewisQuestioning Library Neutrality: Essays from Progressive Librarian
19) The Idea of Decline in Western History by: Arthur HermanThe Idea of Decline in Western History
20) The Leipzig Connection by: Paolo LionniLeipzig Connection
21) Fragments of an Anarchist Anthropology by: Davis GraeberFragments of an Anarchist Anthropology
22) Occupy by: Noam Chomsky (Occupied Media Pamphlet Series)Occupy
23) The Fire Next Time by: James BaldwinThe Fire Next Time

Phew, that's a lot of typing...

Currently I am reading: 1) The Intellectual Foundation of Information Organization by: Elaine Svenonius Intellectual Foundation of Information Organization
2) The Marx-Engels Reader 2nd Ed. Ed by Robert C. TuckerThe Marx-Engels Reader
and 3) Human Smoke: The Beginnings of World War 2 and the End of Civilization by: Nicholson Baker (on my Kindle)Human Smoke: The Beginnings of World War II, the End of Civilization

Hopefully some of you will find these books interesting. I look forward to seeing/ reading what book challenges and books other people are reading.

Thanks,

Camille

message 2: by Camille (new)

Camille | 14 comments I have finished Intellectual Foundation of Information Organization.. It was a pretty difficult read, but I felt it was worth it.

Camille

message 3: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments Doing great keep up the great reading! Do you have a book that stands out?

message 4: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Camille wrote: "Hello, I set a challenge for myself to read 50 books in 2018. I currently have read 23 books...."

Wishing you the best of luck with your goal Camille & happy reading!

message 5: by Camille (new)

Camille | 14 comments Blagica wrote: "Doing great keep up the great reading! Do you have a book that stands out?"

The book that stands out to me would probably have to be: "Rocket and Lightship" because of the depth of the essays. Worth reading if you ask me.

message 6: by Camille (new)

Camille | 14 comments I gave up on the Marx and Engels Reader, because it was just too dense. The Marx-Engels Reader by Karl Marx
I finished Intellectual Foundation of Information Organization by Elaine Svenonius Also finished Insane America's Criminal Treatment of Mental Illness by Alisa Roth which was very interesting, a must read.
Also finished Democracy in Chains The Deep History of the Radical Right's Stealth Plan for America by Nancy MacLean
And a book I forgot to mention, Essays by Wallace Shawn
that was also an interesting read about a range of topics.

Not sure what i'll read next.