Play Book Tag discussion

The Selection (The Selection, #1)
This topic is about The Selection
July 2018: Dystopian > The Selection by Kiera Cass 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte | 1663 comments The Selection by Kiera Cass
3 stars

I'm so embarrassed to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I don't remember why I downloaded it, other than the fact that I found it for free for my Kindle. I saw it pretty high on the first page of the popular dystopian list and it's rated 4.15, so I figured I'd start it and see what's what.

Well... I started it yesterday afternoon and ended up staying up over 2 hours past the time I normally go to bed, to read it. I ignored my husband, my dogs, everything... no one and nothing was as important as reading this book yesterday. I got up early today and finished it pretty quickly. Now I'm going to have to spend money to get the rest of the series because I'm addicted.

What I find funny is that I've gone back and read other people's reviews and they all had similar experiences to me. My favorite piece of a review that describes this book is, "...It's really small and really bad for you and not really that satisfying but darn if you don't enjoy it...." I couldn't describe it any better.

Think the TV the Bachelor (and I hate that show) set in a dystopian society except the contest is used to find the wife of the Prince of what used to be the US before the 4th world war.... all of it is absurd. The names of the girls in the competition are like stripper names... they are ridiculous... The way the women and girls are perceived goes against everything I believe in and even so, I couldn't stop enjoying it! lol

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8436 comments I just love when I find a book like that and just ignore life as I know it to finish it! I had read the GR blurb on this and thought "Oh No! not for me". But the pure joy you found in reading it (and yes it shines through) has made me have second thoughts!

message 3: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Glad you liked it, this is totally a guilty pleasure read for me as well. I enjoyed the whole series (Books 1-3), and I heard there are more additional books now also.

Charlotte | 1663 comments Joanne wrote: "I just love when I find a book like that and just ignore life as I know it to finish it! I had read the GR blurb on this and thought "Oh No! not for me". But the pure joy you found in reading it (a..."

I thought the same thing, but the high reviews on both Amazon and Goodreads intrigued me. It's super short, so you might give it a chance.

Joi wrote: Glad you liked it, this is totally a guilty pleasure read for me as well.

Yea... there are 5 now, #4 is The Heir and #5 is The Crown, there are also a handful of short stories... I'm not sure I'm going to read the short stories but I'm probably going to knock out the other 4 of the series if they are all as short and sweet as the first one.

message 5: by annapi (last edited Jul 10, 2018 11:38PM) (new)

annapi | 5160 comments LOL not my genre, but now I'm intrigued.

message 6: by evsbooks (new)

evsbooks | 17 comments I was going to read this book for this month but changed my mind at the last second! now im thinking i should read it anyway!!

message 7: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments Guilty pleasure books are the best.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Selection (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kiera Cass (other topics)