SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

The Gray House
This topic is about The Gray House
What Else Are You Reading? > "The Gray House" by Mariam Petrosyan (BR)

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments We'll be starting The Gray House on July 15th!

message 2: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 2611 comments I’ll be joining this one too!

Aleksandra Gogić (aleks_g) | 197 comments Me too! :)

message 4: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 2287 comments Yay! Reading it for two groups now. :)

Aleksandra Gogić (aleks_g) | 197 comments I’ve started today, couldn’t wait any longer :)
Chapters don’t have numbers, so I’m going to mark progress by mentioning title of last chapter read and percentage of complete trilogy.

The house interlude, 7% completed
(view spoiler)

message 6: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 2287 comments I'm reading extra carefully, just past where you are, still very confused. I do assume that I'll understand more as I go along.

But I don't know if I can trust Smoker's perspective. He's very unhappy, but it doesn't seem like all the others share his negativity. Maybe this isn't such a bad place....

Is this a Lord of the Flies situation? I mean, sometimes it seems so, sometimes it doesn't... I hope we don't have to wait *too* long to find out. Maybe it's more like Ender's Game, in which we don't learn the truth until very near the end (iirc),... We'll see!

Cornerofmadness | 55 comments I received this for review a while back. I got about 300 pages in before setting it aside. I'm going to pick it up again hesistantly. I hate to say it but so far there isn't a character that I like.

message 8: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 2611 comments So I took a peak at the first couple chapters of this today. I really like the writing and Smoker's point of view. I'm intrigued by the house and finding out a little more about it.

I'm curious- for those of you saying you quit- why did you quit? Did you just lose interest? I'll admit- I'm kind of nervous about the length of this one.

Cornerofmadness | 55 comments Sarah wrote: "So I took a peak at the first couple chapters of this today. I really like the writing and Smoker's point of view. I'm intrigued by the house and finding out a little more about it.

I'm curious- f..."

Honestly I stopped reading because I found the characters abrasive, the story line was odd without being involving and I was bored. I am giving it another try but I wasn't that interested in a bunch of rather awful kids. Even their disabilities seemed arbitrary but I was also wondering if a lot of my issues with it (like the opaque plot) had to do with the fact this is translated.

Aleksandra Gogić (aleks_g) | 197 comments I've finished 27% of the book and there are still mysteries unresolved but I like it so far. There are lines that make me laugh and make me cry, and for some reason it's quite emotional book for me :)

Aleksandra Gogić (aleks_g) | 197 comments I’ve finished 30% and the events threw me off the balance (quite opposite of my previous post)... Cornerofmadness I think I can understand why you stopped reading, however I’m still intrigued and want to find out what’s happening in the House

Aleksandra Gogić (aleks_g) | 197 comments I've finished book 2 and started book 3... still intrigued and I hope I'll finish book soon because I have a feeling that things are going to get revealed in last few chapters.

(view spoiler)

Aleksandra Gogić (aleks_g) | 197 comments I finished book yesterday, here's my review .

It worked for me, it was something different and I was always on the edge (good and bad). Even the fact that not all questions were answered is not bad thing for me, I see it more as invitation for reader to come up with their own answers.

There's also group of people who read this book one year ago, and they managed to get clarifications from translator. Their comments helped me to connected few dots. Here's interview with the translator, and discussion on last few chapters (read the comments only, you can skip summary).

message 14: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 2287 comments I had to put it down, and just cannot make myself pick it up again. It's brilliant, and the translation is gorgeous, but it's just too much for me.

message 15: by Patricia (new) - added it

Patricia | 38 comments I just had to get this book after reading your posts. Went down the rabbit hole to see the interview by the translator and then to the article by Hesse on his take on the different types of readers. Amazingly, today Amazon Kindle Unlimited is offering the ebook with audible for free. Sooooo weird.

Aleksandra Gogić (aleks_g) | 197 comments Patricia wrote: "I just had to get this book after reading your posts. Went down the rabbit hole to see the interview by the translator and then to the article by Hesse on his take on the different types of readers..."

I'd like to hear your thoughts, post here whenever you start reading. I plan to reread it in next few months, now when I know what to expect I won't be wasting time hunting for clues but only enjoy book itself :)

message 17: by Patricia (new) - added it

Patricia | 38 comments Why not post when you decide to reread. I may read it at that time, too.

Aleksandra Gogić (aleks_g) | 197 comments I will :)

Cornerofmadness | 55 comments Am I alone in feeling like I'm missing something? I see so many loving reviews and all I can think of is 'this is such a slog to me. What am I not getting?'

message 20: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 2287 comments No, you're not alone. I can see why some love it, but I was not able to finish it myself.

Cornerofmadness | 55 comments Cheryl wrote: "No, you're not alone. I can see why some love it, but I was not able to finish it myself."

Thanks. Good to know. I was looking at 62% five star ratings (over a thousand of them) wondering what I was missing.

Aleksandra Gogić (aleks_g) | 197 comments Cornerofmadness wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "No, you're not alone. I can see why some love it, but I was not able to finish it myself."

Thanks. Good to know. I was looking at 62% five star ratings (over a thousand of them) won..."

I don't think you should be upset with the ratings, some books just don't work for you and maybe they never will so it's not a sin if you don't finish it :) so don't feel bad if you never lift it up again.

I have some type of OCD so I usually finish what I start, but knowing that I carefully plan what I'm going to read... my ratings confirm it, over 147 books and average rating 4.12 :D

message 23: by Yuri (last edited Aug 09, 2018 04:20PM) (new)

Yuri Machkasov Cornerofmadness wrote:
Thanks. Good to know. I was looking at 62% five star ratings (over a thousand of them) won..."

Those include the Russian original, and over there it's a fandom of Harry Potter like proportions (especially considering that they managed to botch the actual Harry Potter books, twice)

Cornerofmadness | 55 comments Aleksandra wrote: "Cornerofmadness wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "No, you're not alone. I can see why some love it, but I was not able to finish it myself."

Thanks. Good to know. I was looking at 62% five star ratings (over..."

That's definitely true. You'll never find 100% love for any book. I used to finish everything I started reading. Now that I'm older, and the TBR pile is never shrinking, I'm able to give books up if I'm not liking them (but not if I've been given them to review so I'll eventually finish this).

Cornerofmadness | 55 comments Yuri wrote: "Cornerofmadness wrote:
Those include the Russian original, and over there it's a fandom of Harry Pott..."

I had no idea about that. Thanks.

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments Cornerofmadness wrote: "Am I alone in feeling like I'm missing something? I see so many loving reviews and all I can think of is 'this is such a slog to me. What am I not getting?'"

I started this a week ago and I've only managed to get 7% in. It's not grabbing me at all. And I'm the one who suggested it. lol. Hopefully I can make some progress tonight.

Cornerofmadness | 55 comments Kristin B. wrote: "Cornerofmadness wrote: "Am I alone in feeling like I'm missing something? I see so many loving reviews and all I can think of is 'this is such a slog to me. What am I not getting?'"

I started this..."

Good luck.

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments Help! I'm confused!

I'm at 25% and I'm hoping someone who has read further can shed some light for me.

(view spoiler)

I did just read a review that said the author took 18 years to write this novel. So I'm not really surprised that it is extremely complicated. I just don't usually like to work so hard when I'm reading for fun.

message 29: by Yuri (new)

Yuri Machkasov Kristin B. wrote:
Yes, it does (about 6 years back and forward); I insisted that the episodes in different times are done in different fonts in the book. You're right on 2 nicks out of three; Beauty is still around, and Noble is not him (he came later - in the very first chapter he gives the exact time, to the day, that he's been in the House).

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments Yuri wrote: "Kristin B. wrote:
Yes, it does (about 6 years back and forward); I insisted that the episodes in different times are done in different fonts in the book. You're right on 2 nicks out of three; Beau..."

Thank you!

I'm reading the ebook, so there isn't really a font change. I think the beginning of the past timeline chapters are in italics, but that's it for an indication in the books.

I feel much better and I will enjoy the book more now! I still won't be able to keep everything straight, because there are just so many characters. But at least I have a better grasp on it now.

Thanks again!

message 31: by Yuri (new)

Yuri Machkasov Some more nick correspondences:
(view spoiler)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments Yuri wrote: "Some more nick correspondences"

You're my hero! :)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments This may be the first book in my entire adult life that I DNF. I've been on it for almost three weeks and am only a third of the way through it. In the meantime I am getting way behind with all the other things I need to read because I don't like reading more than one book at a time.

I think I'm going to pick up something else for awhile and maybe come back.

Cornerofmadness | 55 comments Kristin B. wrote: "This may be the first book in my entire adult life that I DNF. I've been on it for almost three weeks and am only a third of the way through it. In the meantime I am getting way behind with all the..."

Yep, that's what I did once before and that's what I'm doing again. This is just not for me.