Art Lovers discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Jul 10, 2018 07:24AM) (new)

Heather | 8545 comments I posted this biographical information in another thread in the Poetry folder, so this part is redundant, but I want to introduce some of his artwork, too.

Biography

Khalil Gibran was born Gibran Khalil Gibran on January 6, 1883, in Bsharri, Lebanon. He immigrated with his mother and siblings to Boston in 1895 - his father remained in Lebanon to address financial matters. Gibran would return to Lebanon three years later to continue his education but returned to America after illness took the life of one of his sisters. He met Mary Haskell who encouraged his artistic development. During his life, Gibran was a prolific artist who created hundreds of paintings and drawings.

In 1920, he was a co-founder, along with other poets of Arab and Lebanese backgrounds, of The Pen-bond Society, a literary society, also known as Al Rabitat al Qualamiya.
ADVERTISEMENT

Gibran's works, written in both Arabic and English, are full of lyrical outpourings and express his deeply religious and mystical nature. The Prophet (1923), a book of poetic essays, achieved cult status among American youth for several generations.

In 1928, he published Jesus, the Son of Man. Gibran died in New York City on April 10, 1931."

https://www.biography.com/people/khal...

message 2: by Heather (last edited Jul 10, 2018 07:31AM) (new)

Heather | 8545 comments "A little silly to point out - but Khalil Gibran is a legend worldwide when it comes to poetry. In the visual arts, his name hasn't made it as far. In comparison to how well-acquainted readers are with The Prophet, very few are familiar with a single one of his paintings.

This is up for debate, but Khalil Gibran was a talented painter, and has painted alongside some of the most acclaimed artists of his days, most notably alongside French sculptor Auguste Rodin."

http://www.bananapook.com/2015/03/Kha...

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments

Woman Discovering Nature

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments

Let Me Go

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments

Birth of a Tragedy

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments

The Beaten Being

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments

Two Crosses

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments

Remorse

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark André I sort of like these paintings, but I don't really agree with any of their titles. - )

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments I wondered about the titles, also. I wonder if they went according to Or accompanied by an essay or poem he wrote?

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark André I do not see the pictures as being nearly as morbid as their titles. - )

message 12: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Very reminiscent of Bocklin`s work, inspiration to Georgio DiChirico.

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments I see that inspiration to DiChiroco, Geoffrey. Thank you for pointing that out!