Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist bio) > You know!--Henri Julien Félix Rousseau

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark André That's hard. I had to peak. Didn't know anything about his musical gig. - )

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Ugh, I feel so foolish! I got the first names mixed up, or brought up the wrong biography!

You're right, Mark, he didn't have a 'musical gig', nor was he a philosopher! Here is more of the RIGHT information! (I deleted my first post)

"____________ became a full-time artist at age 49...

_____ famous nickname, "the toll collector."

"self-taught _____________ became the archetypal naïve artist. ___ amateurish technique and unusual compositions provoked the derision of contemporary critics, while earning the respect and admiration of modern artists...for revealing "the new possibilities of simplicity."

Anyone?

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments "Although ___ had ambitions to become a famous academic painter, ____________ instead became the virtual opposite: the quintessential "naïve" artist. Largely self-taught, ___________ developed a style that evidenced ___ lack of academic training, with its absence of correct proportions, one-point perspective, and use of sharp, often unnatural colors. Such features resulted in a body of work imbued with a sense of mystery and eccentricity."

"The untutored and idiosyncratic character of ____________'s art was derided by many early viewers of his work, with one Parisian journalist memorably writing that "_______________ paints with ___ feet with ___ eyes closed." Yet this quality resonated with modern artists such as Picasso, who saw in ______________'s work a model for the sincerity and directness to which they aspired in their own work, by drawing inspiration from African tribal masks and other "primitive" and traditional art forms."

"Influenced by a combination of "high" and "low" sources - academic sculpture, postcards, tabloid illustrations, and trips to the Paris public zoo and gardens - ____________ created modern, unconventional renderings of traditional genres such as landscape, portraiture, and allegory. The fantastic, often outrageous imagery that resulted from these hybrid influences...was celebrated by the Surrealists, whose art valued surprising juxtapositions and dream-like moods characteristic of ____________'s work."

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1957 comments Rousseau?

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Ruth wrote: "Rousseau?"

You got it, Ruth!
I'm afraid I wasn't giving enough information. You do know your artists, though!

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments I like doing this thread because as I read and pick through the biographies, I am learning a lot about the individual artist's lives, too, in addition to just their productions.

I hope this thread is enlightening some of us more, too!