2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Ugly Love
This topic is about Ugly Love
Buddy Reads > Buddy Read - Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover - August 2018

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Aug 12, 2018 02:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 11426 comments Mod
When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.

39 Chapters
Epilogue

Character List
(view spoiler)

Karen and I are reading this in August. All are welcome to join.

Karen, I’m going to start this tomorrow. That work for you?

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 443 comments That's fine. I'll start it next. I have one more to finish.

I actually started it tonight, intending to just get it started on my phone for about 5 minutes. I forced myself to stop after 1 1/2 hours:)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 443 comments Uh oh! I was afraid of that! I hope to start by Sunday at the latest.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 443 comments I started tonight thinking I wouldn’t get into it too far. I’m having a hard time stopping...lol. I’m on chap 9 - about 20% in. I’m really enjoying this back and forth between the past and present.

See what I mean?! It’s hard to stop.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 443 comments It certainly is...lol

Laura | 2344 comments You two are making me want to do a re read, and I usually don't.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 443 comments It’s so good, Laura!

I’m almost done:)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 443 comments I’m only on Chap 13...too much going on this weekend.

I had some cleaning and cooking to do so.....

So you’re at Thanksgiving.

message 16: by Karen ♐ (last edited Aug 12, 2018 04:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 443 comments I loved when Corbin thought Miles was gay!

That was hilarious!

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 443 comments I keep wondering what happened with Rachel that he was drunk and kept saying he was sorry!

Patience...

I’m finished!

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 443 comments Trying to get to a bit more tonight...

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 443 comments Finished! Wow! Loved this book. Thank you so much for BR with me. I would never have read this otherwise. I thought this author writes YA only of which I’m not a big fan.

I’ve read a few others and they were new adult or regular contemporary romance. Of course, it’s her newer stuff.

I loved this story. Miles’ story was gut wrenching and it brought me to tears. While I understood Rachel’s pain and need to blame Miles, I found it cruel that she let him wallow in that guilt for six years. Why didn’t she reach out to him??? Her excuse didn’t cut it for me.

I really liked Tate. She knew what she was getting herself into and even though she wasn’t straight with Miles, she was with herself.

Strange how Miles’ father and Rachel’s mother’s relationship didn’t survive. Not sure what to make of that.

I liked how much time was given to Tate and Miles’ relationship to develop once he was emotionally freed. Loved the epilogue.

Laura | 2344 comments I'm so happy you both liked it. I would love a book about Tate's brother. Were you surprised how it went down? It's been awhile since I read this but I think at the time I thought that they both had died.

message 24: by Jonetta (last edited Aug 14, 2018 06:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I thought they both died, too, and then it dawned on me that in the first chapter when he was drunk he was apologizing to Rachel, meaning he didn’t save the baby.

Yes, I was surprised. I’d imagined a lot of things but not that.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 443 comments I really loved this story. The back and forth kept me wanting to read on and I, also, thought that both Rachel and the baby had died. At first, I thought maybe in childbirth but when they went into the water, I was sure neither one made it.

When he was sobbing his apology to Rachel, I thought that somehow he couldn't save her when something happened.

I was wondering why his Dad and her Mom weren't still together too but I think a big part of it was that Miles looked like his Dad and they said the baby looked like Miles so perhaps Rachel and her Mom couldn't get over that and time passed before it would have been bearable.

I agree that Rachel should have reached out to Miles when she was able to move on. Just to see if he was okay. She had to know that he would carry the guilt especially when she blamed him. He talked to his Dad when the plane crashed to tell him he was okay so I'm sure they were talking before that at some point. Wouldn't his Dad have known that Rachel was with someone else? I guess possibly Lisa and his Dad had broken all ties.

I would like to read a book about Corbin too. I really liked him. And also Ian.

Karen ♐ wrote: "He talked to his Dad when the plane crashed to tell him he was okay so I'm sure they were talking before that at some point. Wouldn't his Dad have known that Rachel was with someone else? I guess possibly Lisa and his Dad had broken all ties...."

I got the impression that phone call was not the norm. But, to your point, if his father knew (which I’m not sure he did), he definitely should have told Miles. I suspect, since Dad was married to someone else, he and Lisa probably permanently severed their ties when she returned to Phoenix.