YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

One Man Guy (One Man Guy, #1)
This topic is about One Man Guy
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > One Man Guy by Michael Barakiva - Starting 10th July

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 48942 comments Mod
A heartfelt, laugh-out-loud-funny story of romance, family, and self-discovery.

Alek Khederian should have guessed something was wrong when his parents took him to a restaurant. Everyone knows that Armenians never eat out. Between bouts of interrogating the waitress and criticizing the menu, Alek’s parents announce that he’ll be attending summer school in order to bring up his grades. Alek is sure this experience will be the perfect hellish end to his hellish freshman year of high school. He never could’ve predicted that he’d meet someone like Ethan.

Ethan is everything Alek wishes he were: confident, free-spirited, and irreverent. He can’t believe a guy this cool wants to be his friend. And before long, it seems like Ethan wants to be more than friends. Alek has never thought about having a boyfriend—he’s barely ever had a girlfriend—but maybe it’s time to think again.

19% (view spoiler)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Maddison wrote: "19%

Also it..."

(view spoiler)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments 52% (view spoiler)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments 56% (view spoiler)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments 77% (view spoiler)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Chapter 17 (view spoiler)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Chapter 19 (view spoiler)

Haha swapped from % to Chapters. At least I have a lot of updates :D

62% (view spoiler)

Shae wrote: "52% [spoilers removed]"

Yeeessss

Shae wrote: "56% [spoilers removed]"

They're cute

Shae wrote: "Chapter 19 [spoilers removed]"

I knoooow I can't believe that! And after, she took it so well!!!

Finished. (view spoiler)

Review: Picked this book up completely on a whim, never heard a thing about it before. But boy I'm glad I did listen to this one! It was so cute! I loved all of the characters (apart from his mother at the restaurant at the start of the novel), and the development of their family bonding and the relationships are completely gorgeous. Yay for this book :D I love how Ethan and Alec's relationship grew, and how they were always honest with each other. And how Alec was able to see the issue from Ethan's side after (view spoiler) I'm really pleased that (view spoiler)

message 15: by Edit~A (new) - added it

Edit~A (edit-a) | 4232 comments As an Armenian I'm so intrigued and scared of this book that I had to pop in and read your comments lol I found out some interesting things from them

(view spoiler)

Haha yeah I saw you mentioning your Armenian ancestry over on the Number Challenge thread Edit XD Coincidentally when I was listening to the book!

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Edit~A (new) - added it

Edit~A (edit-a) | 4232 comments Maddison wrote: "Haha yeah I saw you mentioning your Armenian ancestry over on the Number Challenge thread Edit XD Coincidentally when I was listening to the book!

[spoilers removed]"

Hahaha really? You didn't say anything tho :D
OMG now I see, yeah sucks. (view spoiler)

I was just reading the conversation back haha.

Yeah but it's the whole 'history doesn't define us' thing. The genocide is over, the young people didn't participate, so why blame them?

message 19: by Edit~A (new) - added it

Edit~A (edit-a) | 4232 comments Maddison wrote: "I was just reading the conversation back haha.

Yeah but it's the whole 'history doesn't define us' thing. The genocide is over, the young people didn't participate, so why blame them?"

I know what you mean and my cosmopolitan part says the same, but the fact that my family was a victim and a survivor of it says something else. It doesn't define us, but look people know about holocaust cause Germans admitted it, Turkey says they didn't do it, so it's the denial that hurts. I know for foreigners it's hard to understand, but they killed 1.5 million Armenians, robbed everything they had, took their homes and most importantly took our lands. So yeah, it's more then the 'history doesn't define us' part cause till now we suffer from it, from the consequences, so it still does. Cause it didn't happen long ago just in 1915 so..

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I actually didn't know much about it at all until I read this book and did a bit of research.