Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Personal Challenges > Terris's GAR Challenge

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terris (last edited Oct 21, 2021 06:23PM) (new)

Terris | 2868 comments I'm doing this on paper at home, but like the idea of using the Great American Read as a personal challenge here!

✔1- 1984, George Orwell
✔2-A Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole
✔3- A Prayer for Owen Meany, John Irving
✔4- A Separate Peace, John Knowles
✔5- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Betty Smith
✔6- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Mark Twain
✔7- The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho
✔8- Alex Cross Mysteries (series), James Patterson, Books #1 & #2
✔9-Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
✔10 Americanah, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
✔11- And Then There Were None, Agatha Christie
✔12- Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery
13- Another Country, James Baldwin
✔14- Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand
✔15- Beloved, Toni Morrison
16- Bless Me, Ultima, Rudolfo Anaya
✔17- The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
18- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Junot Díaz
✔19- The Call of the Wild, Jack London
✔20- Catch-22, Joseph Heller
✔21- The Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger
✔22-Charlotte’s Web, E.B. White
✔23- The Chronicles of Narnia (series), C.S. Lewis, Book #1
✔24- The Clan of the Cave Bear, Jean M. Auel
25- The Coldest Winter Ever, Sister Souljah
✔26- The Color Purple, Alice Walker
✔27- The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas
✔28- Crime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoyevsky
✔29- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Mark Haddon
✔30- The DaVinci Code, Dan Brown
✔31- Don Quixote, Miguel de Cervantes
32- Doña Bárbára, Rómulo Gallegos
✔33-Dune, Frank Herbert
✔34- Fifty Shades of Grey (series), E.L. James
✔35- Flowers in the Attic, V.C. Andrews
✔36- Foundation (series), Isaac Asimov
✔37- Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
✔38- A Game of Thrones (series), George R.R. Martin, Book #1
✔39- Ghost, Jason Reynolds
40- Gilead, Marilynne Robinson
✔41- The Giver, Lois Lowry
✔42- The Godfather, Mario Puzo
✔43- Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn
✔44- Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell
✔45- The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck
✔46- Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
✔47- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
✔48- Gulliver’s Travels, Jonathan Swift
✔49- The Handmaid’s Tale, Margaret Atwood
✔50- Harry Potter (series), J.K. Rowling
✔51- Hatchet (series), Gary Paulsen, Book #1
✔52- Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
✔53- The Help, Kathryn Stockett
✔54- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
✔55- The Hunger Games (series), Suzanne Collins
56- The Hunt for Red October, Tom Clancy
57- The Intuitionist, Colson Whitehead
✔58- Invisible Man, Ralph Ellison
✔59- Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë
✔60- The Joy Luck Club, Amy Tan
61- Jurassic Park, Michael Crichton
✔62- Left Behind (series), Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins, Book #1
✔63- The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
✔64- Little Women, Louisa May Alcott
✔65- Lonesome Dove, Larry McMurtry
✔66- Looking for Alaska, John Green
✔67- The Lord of the Rings (series), J.R.R. Tolkien
✔68- The Lovely Bones, Alice Sebold
✔69- The Martian, Andy Weir
✔70- Memoirs of a Geisha, Arthur Golden
71- Mind Invaders, Dave Hunt
✔72- Moby-Dick, Herman Melville
73- The Notebook, Nicholas Sparks
✔74- One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel García Márquez
✔75- Outlander, Diana Gabaldon
✔76- The Outsiders, S.E. Hinton
✔77- The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde
78- The Pilgrim’s Progress, John Bunyan
✔79- The Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett
✔80- Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
✔81- Ready Player One, Ernest Cline
✔82- Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier
✔83- The Shack, William P. Young
✔84- Siddhartha, Hermann Hesse
85- The Sirens of Titan, Kurt Vonnegut
✔86- The Stand, Stephen King
✔87- The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway
88- Swan Song, Robert R. McCammon
✔89- Tales of the City (series), Armistead Maupin
✔90- Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston
✔91-Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe
✔92-This Present Darkness, Frank E. Peretti
✔93- To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
✔94- The Twilight Saga (series), Stephenie Meyer, Book #1
✔95- War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy
96- Watchers, Dean Koontz
97- The Wheel of Time (series), Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
✔98- Where the Red Fern Grows, Wilson Rawls
✔99- White Teeth, Zadie Smith
✔100- Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë

message 2: by Terris (last edited Jul 09, 2018 08:45PM) (new)

Terris | 2868 comments I have read the first book in these series -- but don't plan to finish the series at this point):

Alex Cross Mysteries (I have read Book #1 & #2)
The Chronicles of Narnia
Game of Thrones
Hatchett (might finish this one, I really liked it)
Left Behind
Twilight

message 3: by Terris (last edited Jul 09, 2018 08:48PM) (new)

Terris | 2868 comments I have highlighted the ones that I would like to read. I may add others as I learn more about them or get recommendations from others.

Have read 69 at this point (not counting the 7 that are included in the series).

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3420 comments Terris wrote: "I have highlighted the ones that I would like to read. I may add others as I learn more about them or get recommendations from others.

Have read 69 at this point (not counting the 7 that are inclu..."

Great Job Terris! I have to get updating mine. You should put your star rating next to the one's you've read when you get a chance. You could actually read almost all of them! I say one in a series is good enough!

message 5: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Chaitra wrote: "I'm new to Goodreads and I was wondering is this like we have to read and every book on list or is it okay if we read a few on dis list (just asking) pretty much interested in joining the challenge..."

No rules or regulations. Read what you want, when you want, however long you want.

message 6: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments Chaitra wrote: "I'm new to Goodreads and I was wondering is this like we have to read and every book on list or is it okay if we read a few on dis list (just asking) pretty much interested in joining the challenge..."

Chaitra, it is definitely just a reading guide, and you read whatever you want, whenever you want! Just have fun with it!
I also love looking at everyone else's lists to get ideas and recommendations :)

message 7: by ALLEN (new)

ALLEN | 623 comments I've read seventy of them. Some of the list seem to be there for nakedly commercial purposes, but at least I was cheered to see A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole made it to no. 2. Yay!

message 8: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments Chaitra wrote: "Oh cool. Thanks alot I was pretty lost when I saw your list. 😅"

No problem! This "GAR Challenge is "The Great American Read" sponsored by PBS (Public Broadcasting System) and everyone is invited to go online and vote for their favorite book. They are not all the very best books, as Allen said, some of them are just commercial/popular books -- not great literature. But it's a pretty good list to go by, and I happen to have read quite a few over the years, so decided to use it for a challenge.
But I would recommend that you look at some other people's personal challenges or challenges like the Bingo and Old/New categories. And you can ask people about their lists or favorite books, etc. Everyone here is very friendly and eager to share their favorite reads! :)
Always feel free to ask question too! Happy reading ;)

message 9: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments ALLEN wrote: "I've read seventy of them. Some of the list seem to be there for nakedly commercial purposes, but at least I was cheered to see A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole made it to no. 2. Yay!"

Allen, 70 is pretty good! But I hate to tell you that I think A Confederacy of Dunces is only #2 because it is 2nd in alphabetical order! ;)
However, I am so glad that you mentioned it because it is on my list for this year (actually sitting right here on my desk beside me!), but I've started it before (and quit) and I'm kind of daunted by it.
Can you give me any kind of encouragement or inspiration -- maybe why you liked it? Thanks!!

message 10: by ALLEN (last edited Jul 10, 2018 04:53PM) (new)

ALLEN | 623 comments Hi, Terris! I tried to make that argument in my GR review lately.
To wit:

EditMY ACTIVITY
Review of ISBN 9780802130204
Rating
1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars[ 5 of 5 stars ]
Shelves read edit
Format Paperback edit
Status
June 16, 2018 – Shelved
Finished Reading Add a date

Review "There sure was plenty of beaux at that ball, but at least I still have my honor."

What could go wrong in early-1960s New Orleans? Everything. John Kennedy Toole had already died of his own hand before his mother, Thelma, got the MS of DUNCES to Walker Percy, who became its champion. Toole sends up almost every conceivable group and sub-group on the local scene, including gays, lesbians, Italo-Americans, rednecks, pimps, tavern owners, showboating college teachers, a stripper, a very memorable "beatnik" (Myrna Minkoff) and on and on. His central character, Ignatius Reilly, is a misfit of the modern world, complaining that it no longer contains the kind of "geometry and theology" to accommodate a savant like him. Not everyone likes this kind of free-swinging satire, but to me it's damn funny and deserves to remain a staple of 20th Century American literature. (less)

flag5 likes · comment · see review

message 11: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments ALLEN wrote: "Hi, Terris! I tried to make that argument in my GR review lately.
To wit:

EditMY ACTIVITY
Review of ISBN 9780802130204
Rating
1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars[ 5 of 5 stars ]
Sh..."

Thanks Allen! It's definitely staying on the list, and I'll get to it in the not too distant future. Wish me luck! ;)

message 12: by ALLEN (last edited Jul 11, 2018 05:11AM) (new)

ALLEN | 623 comments Much luck, Terris! I'd love to hear what you have to say about it.

Image result for confederacy of dunces book cover

(pbk. covers):

message 13: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments My cover is the green hat with the yellow bird on top! I'll let you know what I think when I get to it! ;)

message 14: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments Sue wrote: "Terris wrote: "I have highlighted the ones that I would like to read. I may add others as I learn more about them or get recommendations from others.

Have read 69 at this point (not counting the 7..."

I'll work on the stars, Sue! And I guess I will count the ones that I read in the series! It seems like I should get some credit ;)

message 15: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments Ok, so re-counting -- I have read 75 counting the first books in the series that I have read!

I checked out White Teeth today and it's pretty good so far. It will be my first Zadie Smith. I'm interested to see what it will be like :)

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4199 comments You've read such an impressive number of these, Terris! I read White Teeth earlier this year--my first of hers too--and loved it. Hope you do too.

message 17: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments Kathleen wrote: "You've read such an impressive number of these, Terris! I read White Teeth earlier this year--my first of hers too--and loved it. Hope you do too."

Yes, I'm really liking it so far!

message 18: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments I'm about 40% through White Teeth. Still not quite sure where it's going, but fairly entertaining so far :)

message 19: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 393 comments We've read a lot of the same ones, Terris. I think I have 28 to go, but I am kind of disgusted with the list. I don't know if I care enough to push through 50 Shades, Flowers in the Attic and Jurassic Park. I just read The Shack and it was pretty stinko. The concept of the book was interesting but the execution was a mess. And I have TRIED the LOTR books and they drove me nuts. Okay...so that was 30 years ago, but I don't have happy memories of Frodo and his homies.

message 20: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments I totally agree! I'm not super impressed with this list (I think it might just be a popularity contest). And after I read about 4 more I probably won't try to read any more -- not all 100 for sure. Like you, I am not at all interested in reading LOTR even though it is at the top of most lists! I'm rebelling -- I'm not going to read those books! ;)
And some of the other ones -- I just don't know how they got on the list -- but, whatever....

message 21: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments White Teeth by Zadie Smith
White Teeth by Zadie Smith, 3***s
Added another to the list! I'm up to 76 :)

message 22: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2058 comments Chaitra wrote: "Oh cool. Thanks alot I was pretty lost when I saw your list. 😅"

Or you can make your own list with the books in your TBR or Wishlist...

message 23: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2058 comments Terris wrote: "I totally agree! I'm not super impressed with this list (I think it might just be a popularity contest). And after I read about 4 more I probably won't try to read any more -- not all 100 for sure...."

I do like LOTR but 50 shades nope, not interested..

You can just make 76/__ rather than 76/100 as you don't want to read the others,Terris.

message 24: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments Good idea!

I am now at 76/82! :)

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy | 13 comments I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t list LOTR as some of my faves! I read Flowers in the Attic a loooong time ago (I snuck the third one off my mom’s shelf when I was a kid and then had to go back and read the first two to understand what was going on) otherwise I probably wouldn’t have bothered with those either!

message 26: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments I have said that I don't have a desire to read LOTR but recently I've thought of giving the first book a try.
If I hate it I may not finish it or go for the other two books. But I am thinking about it now.....

message 27: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments Just happened to look over this list which I haven't paid attention to for awhile, and found that I've added three books!

Ghost (Track, #1) by Jason Reynolds
Ghost by Jason Reynolds

Foundation (Foundation #1) by Isaac Asimov
Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #1) by Armistead Maupin
Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin

And, right now, I'm reading:
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

and that'll make 4! I don't know if I'll ever get 100% because there are a few on the list that I just don't want to read. But I guess I'll just keep reading and see what happens! :)

message 28: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3633 comments Mod
You are very close to be finished!! Great job.

message 29: by Terry (new)

Terry | 1865 comments Very impressive!

message 30: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments Thank You! :)

message 31: by Terris (last edited Oct 21, 2021 06:24PM) (new)

Terris | 2868 comments Jillian ❀‿❀ wrote: "Oh, here's your thread! :-) WOW, you're doing great! I assume you are basically done with this, & that the bolded titles are ones you prefer to skip? CONGRATS on phenomenal progress! :-) :-)"

Hey, Jillian -- I just saw your note here!
I have not updated this list in SO long & just saw that I had even posted it!
I have (the last year -- or 2!!) read A Confederacy of Dunces (Loved it so much!!); The Godfather (enjoyed it more than I expected to); The Lord of the Rings series (I'm glad I finally read it!)

I have now read 84/100. There are still a few on the list that I will try to get to and a few that I will probably never read. But we'll see..... ;)
(The highlighted ones are the ones that I think I will try to read.)

message 32: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) | 3445 comments The Confederacy of Dunces is one of all-time favorites. Great stuff. . . . Enjoy your reads.

message 33: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2868 comments Cynda wrote: "The Confederacy of Dunces is one of all-time favorites. Great stuff. . . . Enjoy your reads."

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It seems to be a "love it or hate it" read, but I enjoyed it so much. I thought it was so funny!