Beta Reader Group discussion

Critique Partners and Swaps > Beta swap: mine is 80K Urban Fantasy, yours is ?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 3 comments I just finished revisions on an 80K urban fantasy/paranormal suspense (paranormal with psychics, one ghost, and a couple of spirits, but no werewolves or vampires :)).

My pitch is still a work in progress: While consulting on a celebrity missing child case, a repressed psychic falls into a trap from her past, finds her long-ago surrendered daughter, and must finally master her talent-- only to be given a terrible choice.

This is a fairly "clean" read in that there's no sex and only a few f-bombs, but the tone is darkish.

I'm a writer and a librarian who enjoys fantasy, character driven sf, mystery, and non-gory, pyschological horror, so I'm happy to read anything of similar length, no promises on epics!

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1 comments I'd love to swap reads if you're up for it! I have a completed light paranormal mystery. (To be honest, I'm not sure what genre it is, something you could help me with using your librarian superpowers maybe?)

Here's the quick-and-dirty summary: Three government agents work for the Agency of General Equilibrium writing up contracts and filling out paperwork in order to keep the balance between good and evil. A run-of-the-mill case turns into a mess that sends them scrambling to figure out who's behind it all and how to stop them.

It's about 87K words.

Please message me if you're interested. Thanks!

message 3: by Ysobel (new)

Ysobel (ysobelblack) | 7 comments Hello,

I would also be interested in swapping, if you are still looking to do so.

I have a 75k fantasy/historical/sci fi mashup about a girl with sword. Here is the blurb, so you can see if you are interested.

Paladinne. Claviger of Qataban. Demon Dealer. Bloody Harridan. Black Marid. Annihilator of Armies. Ravenshield. Her friends call her Zax,

It's just another day - take the relic to the place the person that needs to use it will find it when the time is right. The only problem is there's a demon in between Zax and where she needs to put the relic.

Dealing with the demon, resurrecting a phoenix, restoring a Tree of Life, and freeing Thuận Thiên is all in a day's work, but when Zax returns home, she learns an epic crisis that threatens to destory gods and goddesses, civilizations, and maybe even the world is looming - and only she can stop it.

All over the world things have already been set in motion by malevolent forces bent on using war, slavery, misery, and death to gain power and subjugate the world to their will. But, if there's one thing Zax likes almost more than a good fight, it's a convoluted, complicated plan - she's got one of those, and she's had it for longer than even she knows.

In Sotomemopia, Awaji, Kurufaba, Eire, Kemet,and Aztlan, along with Bastian, her quantamly entangled soul mate, Kasuku, an immortal parrot, Hellion, a sentient sword cursed by Hel's Hunger to embody Vengeance, the fleet of the Bloody Harridan, and a coalition of Vagabonds, Zax sets out to do what she does best - save the world.