The BURIED Book Club discussion

unBURIED Authors A-D > Brian Castro

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tonymess (new)

Tonymess | 12 comments Australian writer Brian Castro – author of eleven novels (one in cantos!), with a grand total of 40 reviews across his whole oevre.

Titles, number of reviews on GR, and awards books have received:

• Birds of Passage (1983) – 4 reviews – Winner “The Australian/Vogel” National Literary Award 1982 (award for an unpublished manuscript for an unpublished writer)
• Pomeroy (1990) – ZERO reviews (I’ve added one)
• Double-Wolf (1991) – 1 review (one star – bloke who wrote it no idea) – Winner Vic Premier’s Literary Award 1992 (two awards Innovative Fiction and Fiction), Winner “The Age” Book of the year for imaginative writing
• After China (1992) – 3 reviews – Winner Vic Premier’s Literary Award 1993, Shortlisted National Book Council Banjo Prize for Fiction 1993
• Drift (1994) – 2 reviews - Shortlisted National Book Council Banjo Prize for Fiction 1995, Shortlisted “The Age” Book of the Year 1994
• Stepper (1997) – 2 reviews – Winner National Book Council Banjo Prize for Fiction 1997
• Shanghai Dancing (2003) – 7 reviews – winner NSW Premier’s Literary Award for Fiction and Book of the Year (2 Awards) 2004, winner Vic Premier’s Literary Awards 2003, Longlisted IMPAC Dublin Literary Award 2005, Shortlisted Festival Awards for Literature (SA), Innovation in writing 2004, Shortlisted “The Age” Book of the Year 2003
• The Garden Book (2005) – 4 reviews – winner QLD Premier’s Literary Award 2006, Longlisted IMPAC Dublin Literary Award 2007, Shortlisted Miles Franklin Literary Award 2006
• The Bath Fugues (2009) – 3 reviews – Shortlisted Miles Franklin Literary Award 2010, Shortlisted Adelaide Festival Award for Fiction 2010
• Street To Street (2012) – ten reviews -
• Blindness and Rage; A Phantasmagoria (2017), a novel in 34 cantos – 3 reviews

Essays
• Looking for Estrellita – ZERO reviews

A number of his books have been translated into German, French and Chinese.
Today he has a published article at the Sydney Review of Books about “difficult” writing and literary reception - https://sydneyreviewofbooks.com/blind...
Widely applauded by literary types, but generally ignored by readers and reviewers.

message 2: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 354 comments Intriguing. Thanks for the detailed unearthing!

message 3: by Tonymess (new)

Tonymess | 12 comments I've countered the single 1 star review for "Double-Wolf" where the reader complains that the parenthesis open on page one and he sees no sign of them closing - the WHOLE book is between parenthesis, pity the reviewer wasn't that switched on.

Brian Castro’s third novel investigates the famous Sergei Konstanovitch Pankejeff, a patient of Sigmund Freud more commonly known as the Wolf Man.

It plays with language, fiction and analysis. A worth while read indeed.

fourtriplezed  (4triplezed) | 6 comments I too am intrigued Tonymess. Why have I not heard of Castro before?

message 5: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (nathandjoe) | 138 comments read Drift and can thoroughly recommend it. Have Pomeroy and Bath Fugues on my shelves, and plan to get to them soon.

message 6: by Tonymess (new)

Tonymess | 12 comments I’m wondering if his obscurity has anything to do with being an Asian Australian (or “ABC” Australian Born Chinese). A leaning towards bland white make writers happens over here too. I own every one of his books (besides an out of print collection of essays), and love the stimulating originality of his work.

message 7: by Domenic (new)

Domenic Molinaro | 1 comments First i've heard of him...mmm..rare....thanks! I guess this guy could have used a fancy pseudonym