Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited Jul 09, 2018 05:57PM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments Yep, I'm in love with Temaraire! I have read some books on dragons. In fact, when I joined Shelfari back in 2008 and participated in Play Book Tag group, my first tag was dragons and I thought "no way, that's my son's favorite subject and my husband like fantasy, but not for me." However, I had committed to do this and I did. I was completely surprised at how good a book with dragons could be. It's still not my go to subject but I don't shy away.

When I realized that this book also included lots of good history, I knew I was likely to be entertained. This totally captured me though, the realism alongside the fantasy was perfect. It made the book so believable, if that's possible. The relationship between Temeraire and Laurence was perfect. The author did an amazing job of setting up the "rules" of the relationship. Such as the fact of how difficult it would be to be part of the Aerial service as a married person. Women were also given good rolls in this story and I appreciated that.

I love Laurence and how surprised he is about so many things, such as the women in the service, the intelligence of the dragons and Temeraire in particular. I so wanted this book to be illustrated! So many beautifully described dragons, and their harnesses. If I had one area I didn't care for, it was the feeding of the dragons! But, realism (of a sort) is realism and they had to be fed!

In Novik's work, she tells the story of the real world during the Napoleonic Wars with the dragons being the only fantastic part. Everything else is historically real. I love how she did that.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9371 comments Lovely, Barbara

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Wonderful review. I love how you committed yourself back in 2008. I have yet to read any book involving fantasy and dragons and honestly I don't relish the thought. But I have experienced several different genres I never thought would interest me in the last few months. What I have learned is never say never.:) Your review gives me hope in myself that I will pick up a book like this soon.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments You’ve convinced me to add it to my list.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments I read this book last month, and really thought if I reviewed it, I would get some raised eyebrows-lol. When I wrote the review Jason and Amy both commented that they were committed to it in July-and now, so many are reading it! Love that-definitely on team Lawrence/Temeraire-great review.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9371 comments Isn’t it so interesting that so many people are falling in love with this particular odd relationship between a handler and a dragon. Jason and I both swore we would not like this book in the least. Shows you the power of PBT. I will again state, that I think part of my enjoyment of the book has been reading it with all of you and the sheer pleasure of discussing it. Raised it for me completely. For someone who loves complicated and then usual relationships, this one was a pleasure I had not anticipated. Not that I’m necessarily going on with the series or anything. But it’s why this group is so wonderful. To see one expand their genres and pick up things they would not have.