SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Recommendations and Lost Books > [looking for] fantasy-romance books/series

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by BobJosh (new)

BobJosh | 15 comments -Medieval style fantasy, like lotr, eragon, got etc.
It can have magic, multi-dimension, as long as its not steampunk or morden themed.

-romance, without love triangle and drama involving 3. Party. -it can be a hard earned/fought romance, just no 3. Romantic interest-

-happy ending ->the couple stays together at the end, and both are alive (unless a 200year time skip or something, saying they died of old age)

message 2: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
First of all, I have to laugh. I apparently have no books that I can recall that specifically meet these requirements. Which seems ludicrous to me!! But such is life, I suppose.

Here's my best offering: The Blue Sword is veeery light on the romance, but it's still sweet. I'd call it more "flint lock" fantasy than medieval though...

message 3: by BobJosh (new)

BobJosh | 15 comments Well.. yeah, it's hard to find stuff with these requirements unfotunately.
Well, I forfot to say it in the opening post, it's fine if the romance is not the main theme, in fact I don't mind that at all, if there is a love interest with a happy ending, even if there are only a few moments between them its fine.

Thanks for the recommendation!

message 4: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Oh! If romance isn't the A plot...

Archangel (it's been a minute, but I don't think there's a triangle)

The Belgariad by David Eddings (multiple happy unions!)

message 5: by BobJosh (new)

BobJosh | 15 comments Thank you! I always forget to mention this, I always think that bringing eragon/lotr style up is enough, but maybe not :D

message 6: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Marco wrote: "Thank you! I always forget to mention this, I always think that bringing eragon/lotr style up is enough, but maybe not :D"

I'm sure it should haha. I parsed it as separate requirements instead of a whole picture. I got there eventually!

message 7: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1018 comments Allison wrote: "First of all, I have to laugh. I apparently have no books that I can recall that specifically meet these requirements. Which seems ludicrous to me!! But such is life, I suppose.

Here's my best off..."

I love The Blue Sword!

message 8: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1018 comments Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn would fit those requirements.

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 35 comments You may have already read it, but this is screaming The Princess Bride to me!

message 10: by BobJosh (new)

BobJosh | 15 comments Thank you!

message 11: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 964 comments CURSE OF CHALION, by Lois Bujold.

message 12: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 146 comments Warbreaker and Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

message 13: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 444 comments These days, I think that "both stay alive" will be a condition that's hard to meet.

If you'd like dragons and something lighthearted, you might give Dragon Fate a try but the romance is probably not that prevalent. But again, they survive the four book and there's no hint of an 'intruder' though one of the characters has a bit of tragic past.

Now, a series I am not sure if it could be a good tip for you is starting with Soldier Son but again, the romance between the MC and the girl is often in the background (but it meets the 'hard-fought' criteria) and I am not actually sure if it's more a crush than romance. At least they are both alive at the end of the fifth book where the series ends. It is more a military fantasy with coming of age elements, though, so again, no clue if it's what you'd like.

For all books in the two series I mentioned, I've done a review so if you'd be interested, you can read it here on GR or ask me for my blog if you'd like my thoughts in a longer form than my usual GR review.

Anyway, good luck with your search.

message 14: by BobJosh (new)

BobJosh | 15 comments Thanks for the recommendations Tomas, I will check them out.
And I don't mind if the books are older, if thats what you meant by hard to find this day.

message 15: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 444 comments Since I am often into self-published books, most of what I read is possibly less than five years old. I don't know exactly when self-publishing became a big deal, my best guess would be the late 2000s but that's irrelevant now.

Anyway, different question: would a book with a good end (they both survive and end up together) and no drama would be okay IF they were not each other's first romance but there would be some gap between them (so there would be no love triangle, it would just be that one relationship ends for some reason, then there's some break, then the second starts)? This question is mostly from my own curiosity.

message 16: by BobJosh (new)

BobJosh | 15 comments While I prefer it if they were each others first romance, the one you mentioned is also fine, as long as there is development between them

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 49 comments I second Dragon Prince and The Curse of Chalion

If you like more of dragons you could give a try to Dragonflight. Less romance here though.

The Empire Trilogy starting with Daughter of the Empire is also great if you don't mind a woman as MC

And then The War of the Flowers with a very complex world and great prose.

If you don't mind more focus on romance let me know and I have another few titles on my list. :)

message 18: by BobJosh (new)

BobJosh | 15 comments Thank you!

I don't mind more focus on it! And women MC is also fine

message 19: by Charissa (new)

Charissa Duff (charprincessa) | 1 comments Try Jeff Wheeler. There's magic, intrigue and romance in his Kingfountain series.

message 20: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Here's a list that seems to have many of the books that come to mind when I think about you requirements. Not sure the situation on the triangles, but...

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8...

message 21: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Can anyone comment on Garden Spells or Malazan? I know Malazan isn't light whatsoever, but is there a happy ending for some romantic duo?

message 22: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

I'm so silly! I kept thinking about the most delightful book I've read in a long time and then discarding it because it wasn't really a romance...forgetting that there's totally a romance, it's just very small inside the story. But cute!

The Goblin Emperor

Absolutely charming. I'd add that "fantasy of manners" might also yield more content for your searches. Sort of like Austen novels, but with fantasy elements. (no, not like Pride, Prejudice and Zombies!)

message 23: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 146 comments Allison wrote: "Can anyone comment on Garden Spells or Malazan? I know Malazan isn't light whatsoever, but is there a happy ending for some romantic duo?"

I don't know about the romance, but Garden Spells seems set in our world in modern times.

message 24: by Trike (new)

Trike Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey will fill the bill, even if it’s not strictly what you’re looking for. Lessa and F’lar have a solid relationship by the end and in the next book, Dragonquest, they are a cohesive couple who remain solidly together. By the third book, The White Dragon, they take a supporting role, but are still going strong 18-20 years later.

The Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett features some solid romances and relationships, and in different cultures, as well. It’s not the focus of the books, but is a major component for the lives of many of the main characters. First one is The Warded Man, aka The Painted Man.

message 25: by BobJosh (new)

BobJosh | 15 comments Thank you very much, that sounds good!

message 26: by Jan (last edited Jul 12, 2018 05:05PM) (new)

Jan (jan130) | 314 comments Radiance Radiance (Wraith Kings, #1) by Grace Draven might fit the bill. There's a second book as well, and I believe a third is promised.

The Dragonflight series is an oldie but goodie. The romance is secondary to the adventure, but there is definitely a bit of romance there. Without wanting to get into a genre debate, the Dragonflight series is actually sci-fi, although the first couple of books read pretty much as fantasy. There are quite a few books there if you do get hooked on the series. although, as is often the case, the later books aren't as good as the first ones.

message 27: by Trike (new)

Trike Jan130 wrote: "Without wanting to get into a genre debate, the Dragonflight series is actually sci-fi,"

There’s no debate. They’re Fantasy. :p

message 28: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 314 comments Ha ha Trike. Let's not start.

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 49 comments The Pern books do have spaceships also so Fantasy/Sci-Fi? 😊

And I agree. The later books aren't that good.

I also loved Radiance. :)

message 30: by Clay (new)

Clay (snoweel) | 30 comments Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is very much in the LoTR vein. There is a romance without a love triangle (to the best of my recollection), but I can't recall how much of the story it takes up.

Another candidate would be Stardust by Neil Gaiman, which sort of reminded me of The Princess Bride. There is kind of another love interest at the beginning but it is pretty much one-way.

message 31: by Kaa (new)

Kaa | 1454 comments Uprooted. I think some of Mercedes Lackey's books, although I couldn't tell you anymore which ones have love triangles. And I know the Alanna series by Tamora Pierce has a love triangle, but I think some of the other Tortall series would qualify. I used to read a lot of fantasy romance, but can't remember at all now what did and didn't have a triangle. (Unless you're open to m/m or f/f romance, because those are more of my recent reading.)

I feel like most of Terry Pratchett's Night Watch books would qualify, actually?

message 32: by Tara (new)

Tara | 13 comments Red Gloves. Beth Vaughan would fit your bill pretty well. It has a classic fantasy feel, but with a kick-ass female protagonist and a love interest who prefers to stay home and take care of the farm.

No triangles (I can't abide those either), and a satisfying ending.

I believe it was published in the US as Dagger-Star.

message 33: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Turner | 19 comments Another vote here for The Curse of Chalion and other books in the Five Gods Universe. Also, having recently re-read Memory, Sorrow & Thorn by Tad Williams I would say it fits the requirements fairly well, not just the romance but also the epic fantasy.