Reading the Detectives discussion

The Mystery at Underwood House (Angela Marchmont Mystery #2)
This topic is about The Mystery at Underwood House
Buddy reads > The Mystery at Underwood House - Clara Benson

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susan | 10510 comments Mod
Published in 2013, this is the second book in the Angela Marchmont series. Following "The Murder at Sissingham Hall," we see Angela's friend, Louisa Haynes, ask for her help to uncover what lies behind a series of strange, family deaths.

Old Philip Haynes was never happier than when his family were at each other's throats. Even after his death the terms of his will ensured they would keep on feuding. But now three people are dead and the accusations are flying. Can there really be a murderer in the family? Torn between friendship and duty, Angela Marchmont must find out the truth before the killer can strike again.

Please do not post spoilers in this thread.

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 9405 comments Mod
I've started rereading this, and don't remember the solution so far, but I do think it's a fantastic plot - Clara Benson is such a good writer.

I fizzled out after the first four of the series, but must really read the others.

Angela seems a bit like a more glamorous Miss Marple, being urged by her friends to investigate crimes.

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2176 comments Bit disappointing, as with the first one, I had guessed the murderer early on and this book was the same. I do like the Angela Marshmont character , and it is this that kept me reading the book.

Susan | 10510 comments Mod
I have enjoyed these too. I can see the flaws, but I find them very readable. As you say, Jill, I like the character of Angela.

The whole idea of a deceased character leaving instructions for his descendants to follow has a very Golden Age feel about it - I think this happens in some 1930s books that I've read, too.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 612 comments I found the writing style very flat at the start (& really didn't like the beginning) but it is improving now. I think I have guessed the murderer.

Sandy | 3003 comments Mod
Angela Marchmont's background, with all the references to prior adventures, reminded me of the two ladies in A Quiet Life in the Country.

I'm about halfway through my reread now and unfortunately have remembered whodunit, but I will stay out of the spoiler thread until I finish, as I have doubtless forgotten some other plot twists!

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2176 comments I think once the "who dun it" has been removed from the book, it takes a strong character or complicated plot (leaving how was it done) to carry it.

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 1172 comments Just about 6 chapters in- enjoying it so far. Glad to see Angela more on the forefront in this one- haven't guessed the murderer yet either.

Tania | 448 comments Late to the party again, but I have finally started this one