Reading the Detectives discussion

Police at the Funeral (Albert Campion Mystery, #4)
This topic is about Police at the Funeral
Albert Campion group/buddy reads > Police at the Funeral - Margery Allingham

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susan | 10510 comments Mod
The fourth Campion novel is a more traditional mystery than the earlier books. Published in 1931, this book sees Campion requested to investigate a missing uncle and an eccentric family - but things soon turn to murder.

Please refrain from posting spoilers in this thread.

I actually finished this, this morning! Of the Campion books I have read, I did like this best so far.

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2176 comments This book was different from the first three, insofar, as this was Campion at a family home trying to solve the mystery and there were no criminal gangs. Being alone, apart from the strange behavior at the very beginning, Campion is a much more serious character. Having been engaged as a personal assistant by the matriarch of the family, who turns out to know him, but never reveals his true identity, he works his way through the mystery, which had me guessing right until the end.

I think the next one goes back to the same type of thing though. Criminals, conspiracies and racing against time. I suppose she was writing something different, compared to the other 'Queens of Crime,' but I liked Campion better in this one.

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 9405 comments Mod
I've just finished rereading this one - I enjoyed it a lot, although I remembered the plot from previous reads. Campion is one of my favourite detectives (or adventurers as he describes himself!), and I enjoyed seeing a more serious side of his character in this one, though he still goes in for some of the humorous rambling that is his stock-in-trade.

I remember the next one, Sweet Danger, as one of the best books in the series, though it is indeed an adventure again - it's also the one where Amanda arrives!

message 6: by Susan (last edited Jul 13, 2018 11:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dare I ask whether Amanda is yet another love interest? Our GA authors were quite romantic, weren't they?

Sandy | 3003 comments Mod
I also liked this book better than the adventure ones. Quite a family! A couple of dysfunctional families in our mid-month reads.

Susan wrote: "Dare I ask whether Amanda is yet another love interest? Our GA authors were quite romantic, weren't they?"

Yes indeed :)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2176 comments I hope it isn't like the other pair we have had! I think that would be out of character if he turns lovestruck and slushy.

message 10: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

On the romance theme, I was interested to see that the Pagets are briefly mentioned again, reminding those who remember Mystery Mile of Campion’s lost love Biddy.