Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Free Fantasy Beta Reads by experienced writer

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyndon (new)

Lyndon Hardy | 4 comments Hello Everyone

With this note, I am announcing that I am available at no charge to be a beta reader for upcoming fantasy novels.

Doing what?

I would focus on things in your manuscript like the overall arc, plot holes, and realistic character development – broad strokes rather than details like typos and missing quote marks. I am not a good copy editor. What I would produce for you would be a (hopefully) constructive critique rather than material you would use in a review.

Why am I doing this?

Well, I am finishing up a fantasy of my own in the next few months and decided that it makes sense to pay forward first rather than obligating others to participate in a beta swap at the getgo.

Who am I?

My name is Lyndon Hardy. I have been a Goodreads member for about two years. In the 1980’s I was lucky enough to get three paperbacks published by the Random House/DelRey imprint. I have retired from the task of putting food on the table and have taken up writing again – but this time around, full time.

Any restrictions?

I am not interested in erotica or parts of epic length stories that are hundreds of thousands of words long and spanning several volumes. 100K or less would be in my wheelhouse.
IF you are interested, please get back to me by private message and we can go from there.

Lyndon

message 2: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Meredith (dennismeredith) Good morning Lyndon,

Would consider a beta read of our seventh scifi/fantasy novel?

The finished manuscript is about 95,000 words. You can read about Dennis Meredith the author at http://dennismeredith.com/mythicals_4...

and specifically Mythicals at http://dennismeredith.com/mythicals_4...

Fairies, pixies, trolls, werewolves, ogres, goblins . . .

They’re aliens, living in disguise among the "natives"!

. . . vampires, leprechauns, mermaids . . .

For thousands of years this planet has been a penal colony for their races.

. . . demons, angels, elves, gnomes, Sasquatch . . .

But now, they’ve decided the planet's inhabitants are a “terminal species,” and it’s time to end them!

(Well, actually, it’s mainly the werewolves. The fairies and pixies mostly think the native creatures are worth saving. The vampires and leprechauns are undecided.)

Thank you for your consideration,
Joanne Meredith
editor@glyphus.com

message 3: by Lyndon (new)

Lyndon Hardy | 4 comments Thanks for the post. As you might imagine, I am a little swamped at the moment. But you can send me a private message with a contact email in it and I will get back to you when I can again consider taking on some more beta reads.

Lyndon

message 4: by Rob (new)

Rob Witherspoon | 13 comments Lyndon,
I have a 59k word satire based on the question, "What would Terry Pratchett have written if he had been raised in Texas?" The Square Root of Texas has no wizards, trolls or witches. It does have inept rednecks, Mexicans and bawdy women.
If you've got the time and are interested I can email you the latest revision.
Thanks and best regards,
Rob

message 5: by Lyndon (new)

Lyndon Hardy | 4 comments Rob wrote: "Lyndon,
I have a 59k word satire based on the question, "What would Terry Pratchett have written if he had been raised in Texas?" The Square Root of Texas has no wizards, trolls or witches. It does..."

Rob:
Thanks for the post. I am still swamped. Please send me a private message with your contact email in it and I will get back to you when I can again consider taking on some more beta reads.

Lyndon