Victorians! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations Archives > Nominations for September 2018

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Renee M | 1995 comments Mod
Please post your nominations here. One nomination per person and per author. Nomination thread will be up for one week or when we reach eight nominations. If possible, please include the link to the book you've nominated.

*Eligible nominations should be written and published in Great Britain between 1837 and 1901.*

Link to Ineligible List:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

If you are looking for ideas, please peruse our Victorians! Bookshelf: To Read.

Brittany (Lady Red) (ladyred19) | 152 comments The Wings of Azrael by Mona Caird

message 4: by Renee, Moderator (last edited Jul 09, 2018 10:53AM) (new)

The Wing of Azrael by Mona Caird

Although long out of print, a Kindle Edition of this novel is available for purchase. There may be other venues which offer it as well.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 62 comments I would like a book likeThe Woman in White. I thought it was great. It was fun and had a lot of suspense and surprises. I read the Moonstone by the same author and was disappointed. It was too drawn out and I found it hard to finish. Let's try to find something that has a reasonably good pace and is not too long. Thanks.

Brittany (Lady Red) (ladyred19) | 152 comments Oops sorry new here, forgot I was supposed to link them. Thank you!

message 7: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Not a problem, Brittany. :)

message 8: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Would you like to make a suggestion, Joanne?

message 9: by Vicky (last edited Jul 09, 2018 10:58AM) (new)

Vicky D (readingwithmrsd) | 6 comments I nominate The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope.
If you would rather not have Trollope again so soon though, I could change this nomination. Thanks.

message 10: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Actually, although TGLOG and TWWLN are both by Anthony Trollope, I would expect them to be very different. It might be very interesting to make comparisons. :)

message 11: by Judy (new)

Judy | 49 comments Shirley by Charlotte Bronte

Brittany (Lady Red) (ladyred19) | 152 comments I like the idea of Shirley, I’ve never read it

message 13: by Vicky (new)

Vicky D (readingwithmrsd) | 6 comments Renee wrote: "Actually, although TGLOG and TWWLN are both by Anthony Trollope, I would expect them to be very different. It might be very interesting to make comparisons. :)"

😀👍

message 14: by Mariana M. (new)

Mariana M. (marianamfm) | 4 comments Bleak House

I've been wanting to read this one for years!

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 12 comments I would like to nominate Dicken's social commentary on the cruelties of London + child labor.
I nominate Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
Thanks. --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 17: by Renee, Moderator (new)

I took my own advice and looked over the “To Read” list on our homepage. So many yummy titles!
I’m nominating East Lynne by Mrs. Henry Wood because it looks like a corker.

Brittany (Lady Red) (ladyred19) | 152 comments It is! And a pretty fast read despite its size

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2 comments East Lynne is the perfect ridiculous Victorian novel. I couldn’t put it down! I felt the same way about Poor Miss Finch by our beloved Wilkie Collins!

message 20: by Renee, Moderator (new)

*Adds PMF to TBR ASAP* ;-)

message 21: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  | 2 comments Hello fellow Victorians,
I would like to suggest “North And South” by Elizabeth Gaskell or “The Mayor of Casterbridge” by Thomas Hardy.

message 22: by Kerstin, Moderator (last edited Jul 10, 2018 02:23PM) (new)

Kerstin | 626 comments Mod
Sandra, North and South is currently ineligible as we read it in 2016. We do a 3-year pause between re-reads.

message 23: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Doucette | 1 comments I would be on board for Shirley as well, it's on my to read list and it's currently waiting for me on my bookshelves

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  | 2 comments Thank you so much. I was unaware of that rule as I just recently joined the group. Actually, it’s the first time I am participating. :-)

message 25: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Glad to have you along, Sandra!
There’s a link to the list of ineligible books in the first post of this thread. We’ve read a few Hardy novels in the last 3 years, but The Mayor of Casterbridge should do just fine this year.

message 26: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Which makes 8 nominations! I have a full day tomorrow but I will have the poll set up before the weekend. Thanks, Everyone!

message 27: by Renee, Moderator (new)

The poll should open at midnight tonight! :)

message 28: by Jane (new)

Jane Robinson (nagoyaka) Bleak House

message 29: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Dubois (gabrielle-dubois) | 463 comments Renee wrote: "The Wing of Azrael by Mona Caird

Although long out of print, a Kindle Edition of this novel is available for purchase. There may be other venues which offer it as well."

I didn't know this author, I would have liked to read her, because I'm really interested in the subject, but I can't find any French version, what a pity!

May I suggest Indiana by the French George Sand? Or maybe only British authors are allowed?

Brittany (Lady Red) (ladyred19) | 152 comments I’ve just found a good edition of Indiana in English translation, so it wouldn’t be an issue for English speaker

message 31: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Dubois (gabrielle-dubois) | 463 comments Brittany wrote: "I’ve just found a good edition of Indiana in English translation, so it wouldn’t be an issue for English speaker"

Good news, Brittany, that's kind of you, thanks.

message 32: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Sorry, Ladies.
1) Only British Victorians.
2) The Nomination period has ended.

Please feel free to vote in the poll on our homepage.

Brittany (Lady Red) (ladyred19) | 152 comments That’s fine, Renee, I had forgotten it was only British authors

message 34: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Dubois (gabrielle-dubois) | 463 comments Renee wrote: "Sorry, Ladies.
1) Only British Victorians.
2) The Nomination period has ended.

Please feel free to vote in the poll on our homepage."

No problem, Renee!

message 35: by Renee, Moderator (new)

I’m closing this thread until the announcement of our winner.

There is still time to cast your vote in the poll.

message 36: by Renee, Moderator (new)

We have two terrific books for the fall! So we will read Bleak House in September through mid-October. Then, East Lynne from mid-October to the end of November. We also have A Christmas Carol scheduled for the month of December. Autumn is going to be a fabulous season for Victorians!! 🍂🍁🍂

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.