SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Recommendations and Lost Books > Adult Historical Fantasy with Viking Necromancers who invade Greeks/Celts. Middle-eastern MC, woman author.

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.W. (last edited Jul 11, 2018 06:34AM) (new)

K.W. Colyard (kristianwriting) | 14 comments I am looking for a historical fantasy novel written for adults. The story featured three main people groups: a utopic coastal society modeled after either Ancient Greece or Celtic Britain, a Middle-Eastern desert culture, and a bunch of Viking necromancers. These groups are not called by their "real-world" names in the book, but that's how I'm referring to them here, because I don't remember what the book called them.

In the beginning of the novel, the Viking necromancers attack the Ancient Greeks/Celts, who wait for word from their oracle priests regarding what to do. At the end of the intro, the priests kill themselves by diving off of a cliff into the sea, and the necromancers attack the city. The Vikings sail in ghostly ships, and their warriors can fly.

This book was a thick hardback with a bluish/grey/purple cover, somewhere between 400-500 pages if I had to guess. I believe it was the start of a series. One of the main characters could do some sort of magic (perhaps pyrokinesis?) and had red hair.

I picked it up to read somewhere between 2007-2015. It was newish at the time, in hardcover. The writer was a woman who majored or minored in medieval or ancient history, per her author bio.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific with this. I have googled everything I know to google and can't find it. If you have questions, I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

It is not by any of the following authors:
Jacqueline Carey
Juliet Marillier
Peyton Reynolds

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2610 comments Kristian wrote: "I am looking for a historical fantasy novel written for adults. The story featured three main people groups: a utopic coastal society modeled after either Ancient Greece or Celtic Britain, a Middle..."

I don't have the name of the book- but this sounds pretty awesome! I hope someone knows what it is. If you remember please come back and let us know!

message 3: by K.W. (new)

K.W. Colyard (kristianwriting) | 14 comments Sarah wrote: "I don't have the name of the book- but this sounds pretty awesome! I hope someone knows what it is. If you remember please come back and let us know!"

Thank you, Sarah! I will :)

message 4: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Sorry I can’t help you...that does sound interesting, though. And very specific! Are you looking for it just to reread it? I’m curious.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2610 comments What about Juliet Marillier’s books? Seer of the Seven Waters sounds like it has some of those elements and Juliet sounds like she has a similar background.

message 6: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
It's not a Sevenwaters book...but could be one of her other series, she is a historian of Celtic lore. My initial thought was maybe a Jacqueline Carey? One of the Phaedre books or something? Not the first one, but all of those cultures show up in a mystical sort of way and it's a blueish cover...

message 7: by K.W. (new)

K.W. Colyard (kristianwriting) | 14 comments Anthony wrote: "Sorry I can’t help you...that does sound interesting, though. And very specific! Are you looking for it just to reread it? I’m curious."

I never got to finish it in the first place, but yes, I'd love to reread it, because it was such an interesting concept. :)

Sarah wrote: "What about Juliet Marillier’s books? Seer of the Seven Waters sounds like it has some of those elements and Juliet sounds like she has a similar background."

It's not one the Sevenwaters books, nor does it appear to be anything by Marillier. By my recollection, the author was young (<45) and the main character was male, although I could be wrong on both counts, as I am terrible with ages and such, haha.

Alison wrote: "It's not a Sevenwaters book...but could be one of her other series, she is a historian of Celtic lore. My initial thought was maybe a Jacqueline Carey? One of the Phaedre books or something? Not the first one, but all of those cultures show up in a mystical sort of way and it's a blueish cover..."

It is not any of Jacqueline Carey's novels, but the Phèdre books are on my TBR. :)

message 8: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (last edited Jul 09, 2018 11:38AM) (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
Hang on, we have a couple great book detectives in the group, someone must remember this set up. I'm invested now, too!

message 9: by K.W. (new)

K.W. Colyard (kristianwriting) | 14 comments Allison wrote: "Hang on, we have a couple great book detectives in the group, someone must remember this set up. I'm invested now, too!"

Haha, that's been the case every time I've tried to find out if someone knows the book. No one ever remembers it, but they love the concept!

message 10: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
Did you already try the What's the Name of That Book??? group? I don't follow it enough to know how many fantasy readers there are, but with over 35000 members I'm sure some of them must also read fantasy.

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris | 1046 comments Could it be Auguries of Dawn or any of that series?

message 12: by K.W. (new)

K.W. Colyard (kristianwriting) | 14 comments I have a request going in that group, too, Anna!

And Chris, unfortunately no, but thank you!

message 13: by K.W. (new)

K.W. Colyard (kristianwriting) | 14 comments Will do, Nicki!

message 14: by Udayan (new)

Udayan | 62 comments Its obviously not this one but somehow got reminded of The Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay from your description.

message 15: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (1stavenue) | 29 comments Udayan wrote: "Its obviously not this one but somehow got reminded of The Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay from your description."

It made me think of The Last Light of the Sun too and The Saxon Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell.

message 16: by Mimi (new)

Mimi (1stavenue) | 29 comments I recently came across a bunch of books by Morgan Llywelyn and the description above sounds like it could be her book Druids. Published in 2006, has a bluish cover, is historical fantasy, but it's the Celts and Romans, instead of Vikings and Greeks. The author has a background in ancient history.

If not Druids, then maybe one of her other books? She has a huge backlist that chronicles Celtic history from ancient times to modern.

message 17: by Cristin (last edited Jul 12, 2018 12:16PM) (new)

Cristin | 6 comments Could it maybe be Threshold by Sara Douglass ? The author, Sara Douglass was a lecturer in medieval history, and the first US edition came out in hardback in 2003...

Edited to add more detail.