Albany Public Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2018 Summer Reading Progarm > SRP 2018 Week 3: Graphic Novels & Comics

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra C | 135 comments Mod
Monday, July 9 - Saturday, July 14, 2018

Welcome to Week 3 of APL's Summer Reading Program!

If you have not registered yet for the program, please look back on our discussion titled "2018 Summer Reading Program Information!" to register and get all the information needed!

If you have registered, read on!

This week we hope will be very popular: graphic novels and comics! In the last decade, we have seen graphic novels and comics become main stream media via blockbuster movies, television shows, and video games. Pop culture events like Comic Con and other literary conventions have blown onto the scene, with thousands of fans joining together to celebrate this mixed medium. Take inspiration this week, if you haven't or don't usually read graphic novels, and try some of the recommended reads below for the most popular graphic novels!

Remember to comment if you have finished a book this week, including the title and author. You can also stop into your local APL branch and pick up a BINGO card, if you prefer pen and paper to screen and keyboard!

Watchmen - Alan Moore
Maus 1, Maus 2 - Art Spiegelman
V for Vendetta - Alan Moore
Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi
Batman: the Dark Knight Returns - Frank Miller
Batman: the Killing Joke - Alan Moore
Saga (series) - Brian K. Vaughan
The Walking Dead (series) - Robert Kirkman
Scott Pilgrim (series) - Bryan Lee O'Malley
Fun Home - Alison Bechdel
Sin City (series) - Frank Miller
From Hell - Alan Moore
American Born Chinese - Gene Luen Yang
Habibi - Craig Thompson
Blankets - Craig Thompson
Black Panther (series) - Ta-Nehisis Coates
Hark! a Vagrant - Kate Beaton

message 2: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 226 comments Oh, yay! I love graphic novels, and happen to already have one checked out, but not yet read (part of Walking Dead series). Will have to get busy on it!

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily (slushies) | 16 comments I just finished reading Heir to the Shadows.
I really enjoy graphic novels and will have to read a few before the summer is over!

message 4: by Molly (new)

Molly | 15 comments It was a productive reading week: The Perfect Couple by Elin Hilderbrand, All We Ever Wanted by Emily Griffin, Murder in Paradise by James Patterson

Keep on reading!!

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 9 comments I just finished The Family Next Door, by Sally Hepworth. It was a novel that switched POVs each chapter between 4 or so main characters, all women who happen to be neighbors, who each have their own secrets and desires despite how idyllic their life appears on the outside. I would classify it as a drama/mystery, but the author also includes a fair bit of witty and dry humor through the characters, which I really enjoyed.

I will try and find one or two graphic novels to read over the summer, those can be really fun!

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (susande) | 219 comments I am not a huge fan of graphic novels. The main one I have liked is Persepolis (in list above). Any other suggestions based on that. I have read Maus, and thought it was OK.

message 7: by Vickie (new)

Vickie | 36 comments Hi, I was a bit late to the group and wasn't sure where to post. I finished The Perfume Collector by Kathleen Tessaro on June 23rd, The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman on July 3rd, and Why did I ever by Mary Robison on July 8th.
I have not been drawn in by the graphic novel and have not read any, but I do like them as television shows or movies..
I am picking up a couple of the suggested books from last week's theme of music from the library today. I love all the suggestions!!

message 8: by Diana (new)

Diana | 84 comments I used to read comics regularly and really liked hoopla's app for reading comics digitally instead of buying singles. I've been out of the superhero loop for a while, but a couple of comics/graphic novel reads I recently enjoyed were Descender, Vol. 1: Tin Stars and All Summer Long.

This week so far I've read From Twinkle, with Love, which is a great YA contemporary perfect for movie buffs!

message 9: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 44 comments finished a non-fiction Those Wild Wyndhams by Claudia Renton

message 10: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 6 comments I saw the graphic novels while at the library last night, and so I checked one out, and within less than 24 hours finished Thi Bui's /The Best We Could Do./ It's a life story of the author, whose family resettled from Vietnam in LA. I liked how much it described the circumstances of the war, and its effects on her parents, and that it gave a more multi-dimensional account of the war's last days. It was a quick read.

message 11: by Alexandra (new)

I have added all of the completed books above! You guys are rocking it! Keep going!

message 12: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Rescigno (foranimals) | 24 comments The only graphic novels I have read were a few children's books with my students. I like them but I prefer other book genres. However, I did manage to read One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline and it was great! I very much enjoyed how Lisa grabs your attention from the beginning and my initial thoughts about her main character end up being completely wrong! I judged the character before getting to know him or maybe I missed out on some of Lisa's clues on who he really was but it is definitely revealed towards the middle of the novel. There are also some plot twists and a great story line that kept my interest. Great read!

message 13: by Alexandra (new)

@Molly, @Diana, @Emily (Slushies), you all have reached prize levels. Please pick up your prizes from your local Albany Public Library branch when convenient!

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (tetchy) | 16 comments Just finished The Secret Loves of Geeks by Hope Nicholson (editor) which has a mix of different forms to tell their stories inc. comics! So hopefully this fits the challenge for the week. 😊

message 15: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (readersbeadvised) | 96 comments Mod
I'm so excited for this group and would highly recommend as I'm obsessed with Saga by Vaughan. I wait for the volumes to be compiled rather than read each issue because I like to torture myself, so I can't wait for October! I am going to dive into the World of Wakanda because I don't know much about it other than it was a blockbuster hit.

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 62 comments Finished this week: one novel and a bunch of graphic novels!
Rosemarked: a girl with a chronic illness and a boy with PTSD on a spy mission in a swords-and-sandals setting.
Batman: The Killing Joke is a good standalone Batman/Joker tale, but more violent than I expected.
Monstress Volume 2: Gorgeous art, lots of intriguing backstory in this one, VERY violent. I love the animal people.
The Five Fists of Science: not much of a plot, but might be good for people who like steampunk. I think it would've been better without the historical figures, or maybe without the Lovecraftian monsters.
UQ Holder Volume 1: another tale in a (sort of) series about a family of magic-users. In this one, the main character gets turned into a vampire and goes on a journey with his mentor.

I think I forgot to post "Daughter of the Centaurs" last week. It manages to be enjoyable as both a horse book and a fantasy novel!

message 17: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 62 comments And for people who don't read a lot of graphic novels or know what to look for, some more recommendations!
If you like Maus/Persepolis/Fun Home and are looking for more graphic memoirs, try "Alan's War," anything by Lucy Knisley, or a health-based story like Our Cancer Year/Cancer Vixen/Good Eggs.

If you like Alan Moore and want more violent tales, try something from Mike Mignola (Hellboy, BPRD, etc.) or Jason Shiga's "Demon." If you don't mind body horror (and reading right-to-left), you may also like "Parasyte" or anything from Junji Ito. If you like creepy tales but not necessarily a lot of blood, try "Courtney Crumrin" or Neil Gaiman's "Sandman."

Finally, if you want something lighter, Gene Luen Yang is a good place to start. You can also look up Derek Kirk Kim or Raina Telgemeier. If you have no idea what you like, pick up an anthology of short stories like "Flight" - the volumes are all standalones, so you don't need to go in order!

message 18: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 44 comments Actually on topic this week! Finished Ron Wimberly's Prince of Cats today, recommended by Kathleen. The illustrations were especially nice in this one.

message 19: by Alicia (new)

Kathleen wrote: "And for people who don't read a lot of graphic novels or know what to look for, some more recommendations!
If you like Maus/Persepolis/Fun Home and are looking for more graphic memoirs, try "Alan's..."

And for light AND local, Vera Brosgol's new Be Prepared! is about the few years she lived in Albany and on her way to camp, she passes a Stewart's. I actually got an ice cream and posed with the book for a #RiotGrams challenge because of it!

message 20: by Alexandra (new)

I have added all the completed books above. Fantastic job so far guys!

message 21: by Alexandra (new)

Just as an update:

@Diana - you have Level 1 and Level 2 prizes to pick up
@Kathleen - you have Level 1 - 4 prizes to pick up (congrats! You have reached the 12 book goal!)
@Michelle H - you have a Level 1 prize to pick up
@Diane B - you have Level 1 and Level 2 prizes to pick up
@Alicia (aabdul) - you have Level 1 - 3 prizes to pick up
@Molly - you have a Level 1 prize to pick up
@Emily (slushies) - you have a Level 1 prize to pick up
@Susan DE - you have a Level 1 prize to pick up
@Jennifer (jaybee) - you have a Level 1 prize to pick up
@Karie (kariesaurusrex) - you have a Level 1 prize to pick up
@Katie K - you have Level 1 and Level 2 prizes to pick up
@Jessica (wildmtnhoney) - you have a Level 1 prize to pick up
@Kristopher (aadahl) - you have a Level 1 prize to pick up
@Paul R - you have a Level 1 and Level 2 prize to pick up

Awesome job everyone!!! We are only in week three and a lot of you have already reached Level 2! Please stop into your local Albany Public Library branch when convenient to pick up your prize (and let the person at the Reference Desk know you are on the Goodreads list!)

message 22: by Kristopher (new)

Kristopher Aadahl (hawaiianguy3) | 23 comments Yay, I have a prize! Also, I just finished 'The Stars, Like Dust' by Isaac Asimov. Inspired by the library bingo sheet: a genre I've never read. It was pretty sexist, had a vapid plot and ended up being quite America-centric (which was predictable). Glad I finally read an Asimov book though.

message 23: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 44 comments Read another graphic novel. The 14th Dalai Lama: A Manga Biography by Tetsu Saiwai

message 24: by Josanna (new)

Josanna (josanna14) | 4 comments Just finished reading America by E.R Frank. Great story about a boy who gets lost in the system and finds a way to dig himself out.

message 25: by Alexandra (new)

Josanna wrote: "Just finished reading America by E.R Frank. Great story about a boy who gets lost in the system and finds a way to dig himself out."

I have added all the books above!

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I just finished reading My Ex-life by Stephen McCauley.

message 27: by Vickie (new)

Vickie | 36 comments I have finished the book "France is a Feast: The Photographic Journey of Paul and Julia Child." Most enjoyable, especially if you enjoyed "My Life in France." It changes the perspective and gives wonderful black and white images.

message 28: by Diana (new)

Diana | 84 comments Just finished Freshwater. Wow, what a debut! Gorgeous, troubling, mythic literary fantasy.

message 29: by Jen (last edited Jul 14, 2018 04:37PM) (new)

Jen (jenb_jb_jb) | 10 comments In Week 3 I finished Home (Binti #2) by Nnedi Okorafor and Small Favors by Jim Butcher.
Like some others, I haven't been able to get into graphic novels. Audiobooks are my jam, and graphic novels are the opposite (my jelly? lol). I did read and like Persepolis some years ago, but when I tried any others, I just couldn't follow. For example, I tried the graphic novel version of one of Terry Pratchett's early Discworld books, b/c the library didn't have it as an audiobook. When I picked up the next book in the series, I realized plot points and world-building key info had been missed. Much respect to the authors, illustrators, and fans, but not my thing.

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan (susande) | 219 comments I just finished reading Allegedly, a YA book. You can ignore my 2 star review since everyone else seemed to love it, but there were too many plot lines that were never resolved or went nowhere in my opinion.

I have reserved several of the graphic novels you all suggested above, so thanks! Maybe I will learn to like that genre.

message 31: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenb_jb_jb) | 10 comments Diana wrote: "Just finished Freshwater. Wow, what a debut! Gorgeous, troubling, mythic literary fantasy."

Looks like something I'd enjoy- thanks for the tip!

message 32: by Alicia (new)

I read volume 4 in the Black Panther series as well as a YA graphic novel, All Summer Long by Hope Larson as well as several picture books (visuals, people!) including Night Out, Islandborn, Drawn Together (gorgeous illustrations!) and Julian is a Mermaid (more gorgeous illustrations). Then an early reader chapter book series Rosie Revere and the Raucous Riveters to round out the illustrated content I read this week. Then of course, some YA titles!

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan (susande) | 219 comments Also listened to Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America, which is definitely NOT a graphic novel. And interesting non-fiction book about the gang-related murder in Los Angeles. The discussion of the roles and attitudes of the police were especially interesting to me given the internal drama in the Albany Police Department that has been going on while listening to this book.

message 34: by Mirkat (last edited Jul 15, 2018 01:32PM) (new)

Mirkat | 226 comments Read this today: The Walking Dead: Here's Negan! . My review.

message 35: by Paul (new)

Paul R | 46 comments I did include a graphic novel in this week's reading: The X-files: Season 10 #1. I also finished the audiobook Echo that Mirkat recommended in week 2. The music with the story made the tale. The story really kept me going until the end. I also finished both Kian and Arden novels by Melody Anne. I finished Accidental Fiancé by R.R. Banks and Saying I Do: A Small Town Romance by Tracey Alvarez (my favorite New Zealand author by a bit since I like so many).

message 36: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 226 comments Yay, so glad you enjoyed the Echo audiobook, Paul! :)

message 37: by Katie (new)

Katie Kurtessis | 10 comments This week I read: Educated by Tara Westover and Us Against You by Fredrik Bachman. Both were great.

message 38: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 11 comments I finished "Before and Again" by Barbara Delinsky this week. Quick summer read.

message 39: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 62 comments Since last week, I read a bunch more graphic novels!
Vampire Diaries: Too many bad YA tropes for my taste, but the art's nice. At least there's no romantic triangles.
The Girl Who Owned a City: Nice art here too, but kinda destroys your faith in humanity. I'd like to THINK there are enough good people to overpower the bad, even after the apocalypse.
So I'm a Spider, So What? Volume 1. A girl is reborn as some kind of spider monster! This is a very genre-savvy title, as she's aware of the RPG-like nature of her situation. Even as a spider, she's going to make the best of it, and level up her weird new abilities!
Giant Spider and Me Volumes 1 and 2. Another post-apocalypse title, in which a girl on her own befriends a spider the size of a large motorcycle. It's a cooking manga, so there's lots of tasty recipes you can learn to make on your own! I got annoyed with the cliffhangers at the end of the volumes, though.

message 40: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 44 comments Finished sci fi - New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson

message 41: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 226 comments Day before yesterday, I finished A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership , and I banged out a review this morning.

message 42: by Kristopher (new)

Kristopher Aadahl (hawaiianguy3) | 23 comments I read A Hologram for the King by Dave Eggers. Very good. About the struggle of a man who wants to accomplish big things but is hampered by the severe cautiousness of the American economy and global outsourcing.

message 43: by Lauren (new)

Lauren C | 81 comments I just finished Pictures of Perfection, by Reginald Hill--it's one of the books in the Dalziel and Pascoe mystery series. This is the first in the series that I read, and I already checked another out! If you like British mysteries with great writing and lots of atmosphere, I definitely recommend these.

message 44: by Alexandra (new)

I have added all of the books listed above. Great week of reading, guys!

message 45: by Alexandra (new)

For those of you who have read this week, please remember to pick up your prizes at your convenience at your local Albany Public Library branch!

@Meredith S - Level 1 prize
@Michelle H - Level 1 & 2 prize
@Susan DE - Level 1 prize
@Alicia (aabdul) - Level 1, 2, 3, 4 prizes (Congrats on finishing the 12 book challenge!)
@Mirkat - Level 1 prize
@Paul - Level 1, 2, 3, 4 prizes (Congrats on finishing the 12 book challenge!)
@Katie K - Level 1 & 2 prize

message 46: by Abi (last edited Jul 18, 2018 05:33PM) (new)

Abi (foureyedabi) | 75 comments I finished Elsa Lanchester, Herself on July 13th. great book about an amazing woman and her incredible marriage! Then on July 14th I finished After Dead: What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse, which is a sort of conclusion of the Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood novels and was very sweet.

message 47: by Molly (new)

Molly | 15 comments Hello!

Hope that you were all able to enjoy this beautiful cooler day we had today!

Between You and Me - Susan Wiggs
Narwhal: unicorn of the sea - Ben Clanton
Super Narwhal and Jelly Jolt - Ben Clanton
Peanut butter and Jelly- Ben Clanton
The President is Missing - James Patterson/Bill Clinton

Have a great one!

message 48: by Rich (new)

Rich Pearson-strain (richpearson-strain) | 43 comments For week three I read “How Music Got Free” by Stephen Witt. This was a fun read, especially since it was a nice trip down memory lane, growing up in the 90’s when computers starting making their way into households, the Internet started coming into its own, and several industries became upended as technology (disc burners, MP3 players) came to the masses. Industry fought hard to make this technology illegal for purchase, but the genie was out of the bottle. Music became one of the first commodities to be hit hard, pirated viciously over a growing internet. The book became a little stale after awhile, but did a decent job exploring how we as a society have slowly expected things to be “free” when it concerns access to products over the Internet (something newspapers are struggling to adapt to). The book also plays as a cat and mouse game, tension building as the music industry (chiefly through law enforcement) attempts to catch up to the “pirates” profiled by the author. All in all, I’d recommend especially if your a byproduct of the Napster generation.

message 49: by Alexandra (new)

I have added all of the read books above. Great job, everyone!

@Molly, you have Level 1, 2, and 3 prizes to pick up at your convenience
@Rich, you have a Level 1 prize to pick up at your convenience

message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan (susande) | 219 comments As I said, graphic novels are not a genre I like that much. After attempting several of these books and not finishing - the pictures in Habibi, especially were too "graphic" for me to enjoy - I finally found I could read all the way to the end. Of course, it's a kids book. The book is Be Prepared. Thanks for the suggestion, @Alicia Abdul!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.