Play Book Tag discussion

July 2018: Dystopian > Scarlet by Marissa Meyer (3.5 stars)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
3.5 stars
Great literature this is not but I enjoyed it quite it a bit so my rating reflects enjoyment rather than the quality of the book.

This was shelved as dystopian almost 2000 times. I don't think it is really but an argument could be made for it.

Anyway, this was the second book in the Lunar Chronicles. I like to intersperse some YA or fantasy among my literary fiction reading and this was a nice break from some of the heavier stuff I've been reading (Sight is taking me forever to read). In this second novel, we continue the story of Cinder (book one was a a re-telling of cinderella with the main character re-imagined as a cyborg) with new fairy tale characters added. This book adds Little Red Riding hood into the mix.

While not a great literary work, this was pretty fun and I find that Meyer is really clever in how she retells some of our most well known fairy tale stories. Her retellings are creative and fresh and will surely appeal to young adult readers. I breezed through it.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I really want to get to Cinder this month. Even if it is not "really dystopian," I will probably count it anyway since I just read a true dystopian novel.

So many books, so little time....

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Nicole R wrote: "I really want to get to Cinder this month. Even if it is not "really dystopian," I will probably count it anyway since I just read a true dystopian novel.

So many books, so little..."

well, I think it would count for the tag. A strong case could be made for it being dystopian.

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Audio-friendly, you think? Though, I could probably fly through it in print....

message 5: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments Nicole R wrote: "Audio-friendly, you think? Though, I could probably fly through it in print...."

I enjoyed the audiobooks of the series! Reader is a little bit... high-pitched, I think? I wasn't sure I liked it at first, but she does a nice job with different voices.

message 6: by Karin (last edited Jul 09, 2018 04:26PM) (new)

Karin | 7460 comments Mmm, you could argue for dystopian, I think, but I didn't shelve it that way--the 4th book in the series definitely is because Luna is one, even though I didn't shelve it like that.

This was the weakest book in the series for me as I thought the first half very stilted, but my girls vehemently disagreed. I only gave it 2 stars, but the rest were all 4 stars (even if one was rounded up) and a prequel 3 stars.

message 7: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Not great literature, but I love the series. Cinder is probably my favorite but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Enjoying the series, finished Cinder, Scarlet and Cress and have Fairest and Winter in the TBR shelf.

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Ladyslott wrote: "Not great literature, but I love the series. Cinder is probably my favorite but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Enjoying the series, finished Cinder, Scarlet and Cress and have Fairest and Winter in the ..."

It was a fun read. I’m definitely going to keep reading the rest of them.

message 9: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2666 comments I’ve just read them all and enjoyed them. Cinder was my favourite as the concept was so fresh and the writing was probably tightest, but the others were good too.

Nicole R, I listened to Scarlet on audio - it was competent but I found it hard work (it dragged out the story a bit) so switched back to print for the others. Can’t imagine Winter on audio - it would be soooo long!!

message 10: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments I enjoyed all of them and I couldn't imagine them on audio... I think it would be hard. I think I enjoyed Scarlet the most.