Play Book Tag discussion

Shelter in Place
This topic is about Shelter in Place
Archive: Other Books > Shelter in Place by Nora Roberts 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte | 1663 comments Shelter in Place by Nora Roberts
4 stars

First... I'm a huge Nora Roberts fan. She is my go to when I'm feel stressed or sad and need to snap out of it. I enjoy the predictability of her books and I read her specifically for that and the happily ever after quality of her books. I also like her focus on the development of the relationships between characters in her stories, it's something that I feel she has become a master at.

I read Year One a couple of weeks ago and now after reading this one, I feel like she is experimenting and taking more risks with her stories that she has in the past. I feel our societies sensitivity around mass shootings could make this book a hard one to pick up. I know I had tears in my eyes and had goosebumps within the first couple of chapters. Lately I haven't been reading the summary of books prior to reading them, so I went into this one blind and the shock value of the story immediately hooked me.

The reason I gave it four stars is the story line that evolves out of the mass shooting took forever and (view spoiler)

Not my favorite Nora novel, but definitely up there in the top 10.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I am also a huge Nora fan!! Like you, she is totally my go-to author.

I noticed some of the changes you did with her newer books. Did you know she switched publishers? I think that perhaps her old publisher was trying to keep her too much in the contemporary romance genre and she wanted to try something a little bit different. So far, she has published Come Sundown, Year One, and Shelter in Place, under the new publisher and—as you noted—they are different than her previous books!

I also though the "final showdown" was slow in coming, and there was definitely less of an emphasis on the romantic relationship. I mean, (view spoiler) But, also like you, I just love the way she builds and portrays relationships. All relationships. Friends, family, loves. All of them.

Which, leads me to my big question: do you have a favorite Nora book?!? Also, do you read her In Death series?

Karin | 7465 comments Nicole R wrote: "I am also a huge Nora fan!! Like you, she is totally my go-to author.

I noticed some of the changes you did with her newer books. Did you know she switched publishers? I think that perhaps her old..."

Interesting. I might read more of her different books, then, if she is with a new publisher and it's not all romance.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Karin, you would still categorize them as contemporary romance but she has definitely dialed down the relationship portions. It is still one of several major themes though.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments And, I believe you just read Shelter in Place, right? That is with her new publisher....

Charlotte | 1663 comments Nicole R wrote: "I am also a huge Nora fan!! Like you, she is totally my go-to author.

I noticed some of the changes you did with her newer books. Did you know she switched publishers? I think that perhaps her old..."

I think we've had a similar conversation before ;) ... I have #5 of the 'In Death' on my real life TBR along with The Obsession and Liar and the series The Cousins O'Dwyer. I have a couple more on my Kindle waiting to be read.

I think some of these new ones are definitely moving up to the top of my favorites list. I really liked Come Sundown and Year One. I think Shelter in Place is definitely in the top 10 but further to the bottom. I really like her first book, I read that recently and was surprised.

Charlotte | 1663 comments Karin wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "I am also a huge Nora fan!! Like you, she is totally my go-to author.

I noticed some of the changes you did with her newer books. Did you know she switched publishers? I think tha..."

Even some of her old books aren't ALL romance but she definitely focuses on the relationships between people and their interactions.

I like her because I can count on her books as being an easy, quick and fun read.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Charlotte wrote: "I think we've had a similar conversation before ;)."

Ha! Sorry. I get so excited to talk about Nora's books, and I have a horrible memory, so it is totally likely that we have had this conversation.

I don't even know what Nora's first book is! lol. Maybe Irish Thoroughbred? Is that the one you read? I haven't read many of her really old books that she published under Silhouette and Harlequin. I really got on the Nora bandwagon when she moved to Penguin.

Even some of her old books aren't ALL romance but she definitely focuses on the relationships between people and their interactions.

I would squarely put all of her books in a contemporary romance or romantic suspense genre. Not straight romance with the bodice ripper covers, but there is a central male/female romantic relationship at the center of each of her stories.

Year One is a little less focused on a single romantic relationship, but there definitely is one or two.

I often call her "romance light" when describing her! lol

Charlotte | 1663 comments So I'm a HUGE dork and created a spreadsheet with my "main" writers to know what they've written, what was the publication date, what are the series, etc.. I think Goodreads does a horrible job. That way I can easily filter to see what I've read, what I haven't, what's next, what's part of a series, what isn't.

Nora's first book was Irish Thoroughbred published originally in 1981, it is part of the Irish Hearts series. She wrote the 2nd, Irish Rose in 1988 and the 3rd, Irish Rebel in 2000. They've since republished the 3 stories as 2 books, Irish Hearts and Irish Dreams: Irish Rebel / Sullivan's Woman. The 2nd book includes a standalone, Sullivan's Woman. I read it as the 4 stories (the series and a stand alone)/2 books and I really liked all 4.

I can usually find a lot of those older ones at the used bookstore or for cheap on kindle so I'll stock up for when I get into a reading slump :)

message 10: by Nicole R (last edited Jul 10, 2018 01:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Charlotte wrote: "So I'm a HUGE dork and created a spreadsheet with my "main" writers to know what they've written, what was the publication date, what are the series, etc.. I think Goodreads does a horrible job. Th..."

Hahaha! That is impressive! I rely on Nora's website for lists of her series (I agree that GR is not great with her older series, it seems to get especially confused by reprints/rebundles). I have read everything she has written (excluding her JD Robb stuff, I am on #20 there)—both stand alones and series—since the Irish Born trilogy in....the early 90s probably. You would know the year! lol

I have read a few of her older stuff. A couple of the MacGregor's and maybe a handful of others. I would like to read all of the MacGregor books, but I just haven't gotten there. I hit my yearly NR limit with just her new releases plus one or two of her In Death books!

I figure that I will outlive her (I hope I do at least given our age difference!) and leaving some unread for now will tide me over later in life ;) Plus, given my swiss cheese memory, I will be able to reread from the very beginning and each book will be like new! lol

Charlotte | 1663 comments 1995 ;)

I think I started reading her books just after that. My grandmother was a fan and I got her hand me down books. I think it was the early 2000s that I really got hooked.

I still have a ton that I haven't read and I've thought the same thing about outliving her and being able to "catch up". That's awesome that you have a yearly NR limit hahah... love it!! I don't limit myself... I use her to get out of slumps or if I get too stressed with work or life. I don't even want to talk about how many I've read this year so far.

I'm not as excited about the In Death, so it's going to take me forever to get through those... I do hope to get at least the one on my real life TBR read this year.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Charlotte wrote: "That's awesome that you have a yearly NR limit hahah... love it!!"

It is not so much a hard and fast limit as it is just how many of her books I can enjoyably read in a year. If I read too many of them in a row, my brain goes a little fuzzy and I don't enjoy them as much because the overall story arcs are pretty formulaic and predictable. (I am like that with all romance, not just Nora).

But, like you, if I am super stressed out or in a reading slump, I reach for Nora! I have actually been saying for years now that I would really like to reread both the Bride Quartet and the Inn Boonsboro Trilogy.

message 13: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5156 comments Charlotte, I'm opposite of you - I like Nora's romances ok, but her In Death series is one of my absolute favorite comfort reads and Roarke is my sexiest man in literature. The first 3 or 4 books were ok, but really the best thing about it is the slow development of the characters and their relationships over time. She brings in new characters and slowly develops them too, so they become old friends that I love to visit every year with each new volume.

I also keep a spreadsheet (since 2007 only, unfortunately) to keep track of my reading!

Charlotte | 1663 comments annapi wrote: "Charlotte, I'm opposite of you - I like Nora's romances ok, but her In Death series is one of my absolute favorite comfort reads and Roarke is my sexiest man in literature. The first 3 or 4 books w..."

It's been so long since I read them, I could probably stand to re-read the last couple... and that may be why they aren't my favs... I just never got far enough into them.

I started the spreadsheets because I accidentally ended up with two of the same paperback... so the spreadsheet helps keep track of what I read and own both kindle and paperback. I color code them based on if I've read them, own the paperback, own the kindle version, or it's on my list.