Play Book Tag discussion

Call the Midwife: A True Story of the East End in the 1950s
This topic is about Call the Midwife
Archive: Other Books > Call the Midwife / Jennifer Worth - 4****

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6514 comments Call the Midwife A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth
Call the Midwife – Jennifer Worth
Digital audiobook narrated by Nicola Barber.
4****

Originally titled: The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy and Hard Times . This was renamed to coincide with the popular television series. And in case you haven’t seen the TV show, the subtitle is really all the synopsis you need.

Worth was a 22-year-old young woman, with no particular religious affiliation, who found herself assigned to Nonnatus House, a convent, for her training as a midwife. She got an excellent education, more practical experience than she bargained for, and an appreciation for the spiritual beliefs that helped the sisters cope with the realities of their work.

Worth has been criticized for how brutally honest and graphic some of these recollections are. But I was not particularly bothered by this. She was working in an impoverished area of London, in the 1950s. Times were hard, many buildings were still in dilapidated condition following damage sustained in WW2, prostitution was rampant, and tenements were crowded. I felt that the gritty reality of her experiences added to the memoir.

She also makes time to show the tenderness of a loving marriage, parents who are devoted to raising their children despite their limited resources, and friends / colleagues on whom one can rely. I think she did a good job of honestly recollecting her experiences during this time frame.

The printed book includes a Appendix that addresses the difficulties of “writing the Cockney dialect” and a glossary of terms. These are not included in the audio version.

Nicola Barber does a fine job narrating the audiobook. I’m sure that my devotion to the TV series helped, because I clearly pictured the scenes/actresses from the show.

LINK to my review

Jgrace | 3156 comments I did enjoy this book, but I can't agree with you about Nicola Barber. She sounded too cutesy little girl for the adult content. It was annoying.

Cheryl Coppens | 400 comments I loved the show and was wondering how the books would compare. I'm glad you enjoyed this and I will definitely be reading this!

message 4: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 441 comments I love the show as well, so glad to hear the books are good as well :)