#HPReadathon2018 discussion

#HPReadathon2018 > HBP: Draco

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Drew (new)

Drew (thataleech) | 40 comments Mod
Is Draco Malfoy to blame for his actions or is he a victim of his circumstances?
- Do you feel that his descent into being a Death Eater makes sense, looking back on the events of previous books?

message 2: by Elisa (new)

Elisa (ravenclaw_patronus) | 29 comments I think Draco is not to blame for being a Death Eater, but he is to blame for bullying students. He grew up with Slyherin relatives who were all Death Eaters, so they all wanted Draco to be like them when he was old enough. Draco’s parents always wanted him to be a Death Eater even if Draco might not have wanted, but he couldn’t opt out of it because his parents are very strict and something bad might happen to him. I think Draco just took the death Eater position quickly without saying anything. If he wanted the position or not, Draco certainly didn’t know about what he had to do. He certainly didn’t think he’d be the chosen one to kill Dumbledore and he didn’t want that resposibility.

message 3: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Wells | 24 comments Draco was forced into becoming a Death Eater by Voldemort, there's definitely no way that he was given any choice in the matter, Voldemort is not that type of person. Whilst his bullying cannot be forgiven in the earlier books, it can be understood due to the family he was brought up in and his lack of understanding for the lives of anyone else. When he was forced into becoming a death eater, whilst he may have appeared delighted by the news, he was probably concerned due to his father's experience. I cannot stress enough that Draco suffered so much during this book and he deserved a redemption so much more than Snape.