Reading 1001 discussion

Pippi Longstocking (Pippi Långstrump, #1)
This topic is about Pippi Longstocking
1001 book reviews > Pippi Longstocking

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments 3 Stars

When I was a girl I spent nearly every summer with my grandparents in Iowa. I loved those two humans more than any others I have ever met. They were wonderful. We did many things together -- concerts, amusement parks, swimming pools, camping. And, one day they took me to see a funny, sassy, spunky girl named Pippi Longstocking. I will never forget how enchanted I was by the idea of a child living alone, caring for animals and walking the widow's peak of her home to watch for her father's ship. But I never read the book until now. It was loads of fun. Pippi is a unique character who acts outrageously and who lives a crazy life. She is hilarious, silly and quite strong. I liked the book. I wish I had read it as a child, as I am pretty certain that I would have loved it then.

Diane Zwang | 1315 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "3 Stars

When I was a girl I spent nearly every summer with my grandparents in Iowa. I loved those two humans more than any others I have ever met. They were wonderful. We did many things together ..."

What a great family story Kelly. I have not read this book yet. I watched the films with my son when he was little and we enjoyed those.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Diane wrote: "Kelly wrote: "3 Stars

When I was a girl I spent nearly every summer with my grandparents in Iowa. I loved those two humans more than any others I have ever met. They were wonderful. We did many th..."

Thanks Diane. It brought back lovely memories!

Diane Zwang | 1315 comments Mod
Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
4/5 stars

One of the few children's books that made the list of 1001 books. I don't remember reading Pippi when I was growing up and I don't think I read it to my son but I do have fond memories of the 1960s TV show. The copy I checked out was illustrated by Lauren Child who illustrated the Charlie and Lola series which I did read and watch with my son. Pippi's story is timeless. It is still fresh to read about a precocious child who gets into all sorts of trouble and adventure.

message 5: by Zeejane (last edited Sep 13, 2021 03:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zeejane {Dual Review}

Me: we listened to the audiobook, narrated by Christina Moore. This was a cute story with good narration. Pippi is an entertaining protagonist and the story moves along quickly. My only complaint is there seems to be some overlap with the Anne of Green Gables storyline. The protagonists are both uneducated, 'wild' girl orphans. The coffee/tea parties, the fire scenes, the tramps/scammers etc etc. It felt like Lindgren borrowed a few plot elements from Montgomery....

A: I liked this story. The narrator was good and Pippi was a fun main character. I disagree with my mom and don't think there's any similarities between this book and Anne of Green Gables.

Valerie Brown | 646 comments read Nov. 2021

Well, that was amusing although I couldn’t tell you why it qualifies for the list. Perhaps because Pippi was so far beyond the strictures of most society. She is quite the free spirit, and luckily is endowed with some ‘super human’ qualities (ie. her strength). (Lexile 870) 3*

Gail (gailifer) | 1543 comments A delightful read about a young girl who is very strong, fearless, generous and brave. She lives alone without adult supervision and this leads to many daring adventures that are triggered by an imagination that was never given boundaries.
As a person with many freckles, it was also interesting to read about a girl who loved her freckles.
Like others, I wish I had read this as a child but still was happy to encounter Pippi as a "young at heart" adult.

Ginny | 124 comments 3/5 stars

A quick, easy read about a young girl who lives alone and likes to go on interesting adventures with her horse, monkey and two best friends Tommy and Annika.

I particularly liked the chapter about her being a 'thing-finder', it's true you can find a lot of joy and fun in ordinary things if you change your perspective a bit (maybe try standing on your hands instead).

Kristel (kristelh) | 4264 comments Mod
I read this a verrrry long time ago and remember that I really liked it. A reread and must say I remembered very little so it was a good reread. A children's book by Swedish icon author Astrid Lindgren. Pippi is essentially an orphan girl, she is living alone with her monkey and horse and she is not your ordinary girl. She is fearless and brave and she marches to her own drummer.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen | 295 comments Nobody can tell Pippi Longstocking how to live her life! She sends policemen packing, rescues children from fires and is highly creative. She is the strongest person in the world and wants to be a pirate when she grows up (or maybe a lady). She toys with traditional gender rules and social customs but is also very kind-hearted, giving away presents and money and defeating bullies.

Over-the-top comedy but with a charismatic heroine. I would have adored this as a kid, had I ever read it then.

4 stars

message 11: by Book (new) - rated it 3 stars

Book Wormy | 2082 comments Mod
3 stars

As an adult I am glad I never had to teach Pippi or to entertain her at a tea party as a child I would have loved to be her friend.

Unfortunately I really am the wrong age to be reading this for the first time because I think as a child this would have been a great book as an adult I found myself annoyed by some of her behaviour. That aside I really enjoyed the episode with the burglars and how Pippi handles them, Pippi’s unique take on cooking, the way she should up for the bullied boy and the way the story shows that girls can be anything they want.

message 12: by Pip (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pip | 1482 comments I am too old to have read Pippi Longstocking as a child. My elder daughter does not remember either the book or the TV series, but my younger daughter did and said she channelled Pippi in a song and dance routine she did when about 6 years old. I couldn't understand why my granddaughter did not reply to my queries about whether she remembered the book, which is why my review is so late. We communicate a lot on a group chat in WhatsApp, but I was asking her independently. It turns out she changed her phone number, I didn't know and have been bombarding some random guy about whether he had read Pippi as a child. Why he never replied to tell me my mistake remains a mystery! While staying in Stockholm recently noted that there is a whole museum devoted to Astrid Lundgren, which appeared to be well visited. I can understand the devotion. Pippi was independent and emotionally self contained and able to handle crises without any adult intervention.