Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > “The English Patient” takes out the public poll for best Booker winner

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2679 comments Michael Ondaatje’s masterpiece has won the public poll for best Booker winner.

This may not work as a hyperlink because I’m on the app, but here’s the Guardian article ...

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/amp.th...

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Now I absolutely must read it. Thanks for letting us know Kate!

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments I was NOT a fan of this book. What a slog!

message 4: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6895 comments I am on the love side with this book. I loved the story and am a fan of Michael Ondaatje.

message 5: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9085 comments Probably to no one's surprise, I have not enjoyed the few books by him that I've read. I liked the movie, but it was slow-going, and with not liking his other books, I have no desire to read this one.

message 6: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments I liked the book and the movie, and I always mean to read something else. I'm definitely intending to read his newest book; Warlight

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Jgrace, Warlight keeps catching my eye too!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Sadly I have not read this book, nor have I seen the movie. From what I'm reading here the book is slow going? Are all his books like this?

message 9: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2679 comments He’s got a unique writing style, Rachel - poetic in its sparseness and clarity. Definitely not fast or easy but I find his stories absorbing. This book veers between intimate and epic.

message 10: by DianeMP (new)

DianeMP | 454 comments Well said, Kate. I'm a little late to the party, but still well said. The English Patient is on my all time favorites list and I highly recommend it.

message 11: by Hope (new)

Hope | 150 comments Oooh I’m late to this conversation too but I love Michael Ondaatje. I love his poems and I really liked The English Patient. I was sadly underwhelmed by Warlight which I just read recently.

message 12: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2679 comments Dang - Warlight is on my August list

message 13: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’m listening to Warlight at the moment and I am enthralled. I adore it.

message 14: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2679 comments Great! It’s next after Snap for me.

message 15: by Ann☕ (new)

Ann☕ (ann_reads) | 183 comments I enjoyed reading the mix of comments above, some in praise of The English Patient, and others, not so much. That is the perfect example of why reading is such a personal and unique experience. :-)

For myself, I liked the movie but for whatever reason, it didn't make me eager to seek out the book version of The English Patient. Sometimes I avoid books that have won big literary prizes, as my reaction to award winners has been mixed (meaning over 50% of the time, I really didn't enjoy the story, writing, characterization, etc). Maybe winning something like a Man Book Prize, sets up high expectations for the reader?

message 16: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9085 comments Ann R wrote: "Sometimes I avoid books that have won big literary prizes, as my reaction to award winners has been mixed (meaning over 50% of the time, I really didn't enjoy the story, writing, characterization, etc). ..."

This sounds very much like me, as well! I'm not sure if it was ever that the expectations are high for me, but now, for sure not. I am almost disappointed when I see something I want to read has won a major award, knowing that I usually don't enjoy award-winning books!

message 17: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2679 comments I’m with you too, Ann. I often have mixed reactions to prize winners too. For instance I may be the only person in the universe who was ambivalent about “All the light we cannot see” - loved bits of it (some gloriously written passages) was totally ‘meh’ about other bits and got bored with them, and overall ended up 3 starring it. Perhaps just the fact that it won the Pulitzer had me wondering why it won the Pulitzer rather than taking it on its merits