Paul Reads Book Club discussion

The Outsider > The Arrest

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul | 108 comments Mod
here is a topic discussion for the first section of stephen king's the outsiders.

Mindy'sBookJourney (mindysbookjourney) I just finished the first section of the book, The Arrest. I am hooked already. This is shaping up to be a very effective crime thriller. The crime is horrible. I hope the real killer is found.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul | 108 comments Mod
I really liked how this chapter was set up. The interviews were a cool mechanism. especially the way the characters had some humor in their interviews. Mr ritz (ritz crackers:) . One of the questions I would have for this section is what did you think about how the arrest was set up? It was so public. did you understand why they did that? did you agree with it?

Mindy'sBookJourney (mindysbookjourney) I think it was not a good idea to do such a public arrest before even talking to him. I think they did it for emotional reasons to let all the parents and kids know what he did since there was so much evidence. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (musingsofacat) Paul wrote: "I really liked how this chapter was set up. The interviews were a cool mechanism. especially the way the characters had some humor in their interviews. Mr ritz (ritz crackers:) . One of the questio..."

I get why the arrest was done it the way it was, and that it's a smaller town, but they really should have done everything as normal (I think the term is due diligence), regardless of the evidence. I see this blowing up in their faces spectacularly.
Before I started the book I was leaning towards a twins theory, which I haven't ruled out, but I'm not sure now. I think it might end up being something more elaborate.