Mock Caldecott 2023 discussion

Mock Caldecott 2019 > July Reads - 2019

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

message 2: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 398 comments What If...
The artwork for this book about a girl imagining how she can create art in many different ways was created with pencil, ink and lots of found objects to create fabulous art work that carries the story along.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 369 comments Beverly wrote: "What If...
The artwork for this book about a girl imagining how she can create art in many different ways was created with pencil, ink and lots of found objects to create fabulous art work that car..."

What If... is magnificent. So creative, beautiful and powerful. Mike Curato is truly becoming one of the best illustrators out there. I would be very happy if What If... won a Caldecott.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 369 comments The illustrations for I am a Cat by Galia Bernstein are lovely. The story is too short and doesn't really have much of an impact. Not a contender.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 369 comments I love, love, love Islandborn. The text is beautiful and really quite perfect. This is the best illustrated work that Leo Espinosa has ever done in my opinion. It truly looks like he put his whole heart and soul in this book. Another fantastic contender.

message 6: by Laura (last edited Jul 17, 2018 05:15PM) (new)

Laura Harrison | 369 comments The more I study Julian is a Mermaid the more I love it. The illustrations are more than beautiful- they are fascinating. Every page is a wonder. Julian is a Mermaid is about absolute acceptance, love and belonging. It is a brave book that is truly unique. I believe it deserves a Caldecott.

message 7: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 398 comments I Am a Cat
Unfortunately, this book was published in 2017 by Abrams, so it would have been eligible last year, but not this year.

message 8: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 398 comments Islandborn
I really liked this book about a little girl whose teacher gives the class an assignment to draw a picture of the country that they originally came from. Since Lola left the Dominican Republic when she was a baby, she has to interview family and friends for their views and opinions. Instead of one drawing, she comes to school with a whole book of pictures! The mixed media illustrations are very colorful and emphasize the diversity of children in Lola's classroom, and do a great job of depicting island life.

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessmonster) | 21 comments I thought Julian and What If were both fantastic, both in terms of artistic quality and imagination. I liked I Am a Cat, but didn't find a lot of depth in the illustrations or story.

message 10: by Janet (new)

Janet Beasley | 7 comments Island Born
The illustrations are bright, detailed, diverse and relative to the author's purpose. A story that can be read and explored on many age levels.

message 11: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (booknerd216) | 49 comments I loved the book What If... the illustrations were beautiful. I loved the mix of paint and collage, almost resembled stop animation. It had some resemblance of Viva Frida.
Islandborn is a beautiful story and a beautiful book,however I doubt we will see it on any watch list since the allegations against the author.
When readers were offended in past years by A Fine Dessert and There is a Tribe of kids, those books (beautiful yes) were never considered.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 369 comments Charlene wrote: "I loved the book What If... the illustrations were beautiful. I loved the mix of paint and collage, almost resembled stop animation. It had some resemblance of Viva Frida.
Islandborn is a beautifu..."

You are right about Islandborn. It will be a shame if it is passed on. The text and illustrations are extraordinary.

message 13: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathynorman) | 37 comments Charlene wrote: "I loved the book What If... the illustrations were beautiful. I loved the mix of paint and collage, almost resembled stop animation. It had some resemblance of Viva Frida.
How do we reconcile the art with the actions of the artist? Is it our job to do so? I love Islandborn. It is a beautiful and intricate story that moves at a perfect pace to pull young children into a complex piece of work. Right now, Islandborn is #2 on my list for the year.

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 369 comments Cathy wrote: "Charlene wrote: "I loved the book What If... the illustrations were beautiful. I loved the mix of paint and collage, almost resembled stop animation. It had some resemblance of Viva Frida.
Islandb..."

To be clear, the controversy is surrounding Diaz, not the illustrator Leo Espinosa. The writing and the illustrations are perfect together. Islandborn merits an award.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 369 comments Charlene wrote: "I loved the book What If... the illustrations were beautiful. I loved the mix of paint and collage, almost resembled stop animation. It had some resemblance of Viva Frida.

I still haven't gotten over There is a Tribe of Kids not winning even an honor. It should have.

message 16: by Cathy (last edited Jul 21, 2018 09:42AM) (new)

Cathy (cathynorman) | 37 comments JULIAN IS A MERMAID - There is so much to love about these 32 pages! The watercolor and gouache illustrations are perfect for a story about LOVING mermaids - and Julian does! Julian's imagination transforms him into a mermaid. When he announces to his abuela that he IS a mermaid, abuela is off for a bath. Alone, Julian transforms himself into a mermaid using ferns, flowers, makeup and curtains and he is so proud of himself. Abuela looks disapproving but then, lovingly, gives him beads and takes Julian to meet the mermaids. What an expression of self and of love - unconditional, wholehearted, unbounded love. I love Julian but I ADORE Abuela. This is in the top 5, for me!

message 17: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celeste_bocchicchio) | 6 comments The art really carries the story in Julian is Mermaid. I hope to see it bring in at least an honor.