What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Teen/YA novel, read 1990s, young pregnant (unmarried) woman runs away from home rather than be forced into marriage (modern setting).

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aspiring (new)

Aspiring Scribbler | 67 comments I remember I read this book a couple of times when I was in high school. It is set in Australia, so I'm pretty sure the author is also Australian. I want to say I probably read it in the last few years of the 1990s. (No earlier than 1996, no later than 1999.)

The story starts with an engagement party held at the local footy club (AFL/Aussie rules) for one of their players, and his girlfriend who is pregnant. (I think she's about 18 or 19?) It is pretty clear that it is completely her father's idea, and she's really not happy about the whole thing.

I can't remember exactly how it happens, but she ends up running away and going on a road trip on a motorcycle with a guy who was either a total stranger or a local bad-boy.

I probably don't need to spell out how it ends up... Any ideas what it was??

message 2: by Aspiring (new)

Aspiring Scribbler | 67 comments Found it... it was Cross My Heart by Maureen McCarthy