Read Dem Releases discussion

JULY 2018 l The Wicked Deep > Chapters 16 - 22

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mady (new)

Mady DeJulio | 25 comments Mod
What did you think of these chapters? Let us know in the comments!

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Martin (kellymartinbooks) | 11 comments I think it would have been neat to see Penny/Bo grow a relationship and see how it organically went. Since Penny wasn't Penny when they were together, he has really no idea if he'd like her-- or if she'd like him.

I liked the ending except for the last 2 lines. It doesn't feel fair to Penny (who did nothing wrong, tbh) to be the 'ghost' or a 'memory' to Bo about Hazel. Like maybe he's just with her because she reminds him of his true love. AGAIN, things that would have been cool to read about.

All in all, I really did like the book. It definitely kept my attention. I read it super fast. I liked that it was a bit different. Even though I complain about it, I did like the town and how it was just what it was... a weird place. The Owen/Hazel scene was HEARTBREAKING. I would love to have read their story.

Great pick this month, Madison. :)

message 3: by Mady (new)

Kelly wrote: "I think it would have been neat to see Penny/Bo grow a relationship and see how it organically went. Since Penny wasn't Penny when they were together, he has really no idea if he'd like her-- or if..."

AAHH the last 75% of the book had me so emotional. The story didn't pick up for me until the plot twist which I thought was so well done.

I do agree that Bo might only be with Penny because she's the body he fell in love with. But he didn't fall for her. It'd be nice if this book had a sequel where we could see the relationship between him and the real Penny to find out for ourselves how real it is. But I'm pretty sure this is only a standalone. :(

The romance grew on me right after we found out that Penny is Hazel. It got so interesting. And in the end when Bo tells Penny that he lost someone he loved, I found myself crying in public on a bus. xD
And I want a story about Hazel and Owen! Like maybe a novella? That was so sad.

The beginning and middle of the book was iffy for me because I didn't like the characters (until later on) and couldn't connect with the romance. But I loved the tone and the plot of it all throughout. It's a four star for me. I really liked it! I can't wait to do a video review on it. :)

Thanks!

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Martin (kellymartinbooks) | 11 comments I think it will be neat to go back and read the book knowing that Penny is Hazel and see if that changes how/what we think about Penny. I had my suspicions early on that she was a sister, but I wasn't sure. I an't wait to re-read.

message 5: by Mady (new)

Kelly wrote: "I think it will be neat to go back and read the book knowing that Penny is Hazel and see if that changes how/what we think about Penny. I had my suspicions early on that she was a sister, but I was..."

That's what I was thinking! I'm sure there has to be a lot of hints that I didn't catch.

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Martin (kellymartinbooks) | 11 comments Madison wrote: "Kelly wrote: "I think it will be neat to go back and read the book knowing that Penny is Hazel and see if that changes how/what we think about Penny. I had my suspicions early on that she was a sis..."

Oh definitely. What I didn't like was that her Mama knew she was Hazel, and she did nothing to protect her from becoming Hazel. For three years, she'd been her. And yeah, I get the first year and her Daddy trying to help her. But for the THIRD year, wouldn't her Mama like lock her in her room or maybe TELL HER not to go near the water. That's one of the problems with the plot. Everyone "knows" something is going on, but no one wants to deal with it. The town throws parties while boys die and girls get possessed and abused. And Hazel's mom sees she's Hazel and she hasn't done anything about it. It's interesting. Maybe she can't get over that 'Penny' killed her husband? I think Penny's mom and dad's story would be interesting to read.