Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > First three chapters of high seas fantasy adventure novel

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 1 comments Hello,

I am looking for beta readers for the first three chapters (about 12k words) of my 102k word adult fantasy novel The Islands of Al-Suriza, a story loosely inspired by the famous Islamic explorer Ibn Battuta and set in the Al-Suriza Archipelago, a chain of islands whose culture and economy is inspired by the trading cities of the historical Swahili Coast of eastern Africa, as well as the Islamic northern African coast that Ibn Battuta hailed from.

This is a second draft and should be relatively clean of spelling and grammar mistakes. I’m mostly looking for feedback on whether the beginning of the story is engaging enough, if the world is believable and interesting, and if the characters are engaging, but I am open to any feedback or constructive criticism you might have. If you want to keep reading after the first few chapters, that is also fine.

Here’s a short blurb:

‘Harun has spent his whole life studying to follow in the scholarly footsteps of his parents, but when his admission to the Madrasa Academy is sabotaged, Harun must journey across the seas of the Al-Suriza Archipelago to unravel the mystery that lies at the heart of his research thesis. Along the way he is caught in the sights of a shadowy organization who will stop at nothing to see that some truths remain hidden.’

If this sounds interesting to you, please let me know.

message 2: by Claire (new)

Claire Barna | 1 comments Hi Josh,
This is Kaitlin's friend Claire. She told me about your book and I am interested in reading it. Let me know what steps I need to take.
Thanks, Claire