The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Empire of Ashes (The Draconis Memoria, #3)
This topic is about The Empire of Ashes
Anthony Ryan > The Empire of Ashes (Full Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
Please indicate where you are in the book and use spoiler tags.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm through chapter 5, but I'm foregoing spoiler tags because this is more of a first impression.

I had totally forgotten what was going on/where we left off from the last book, so it took me several chapters to get back into it.

Also, I had no idea this book came out! I got the first two as review copies (that well seems to have dried up) so I didn't even have this book on my to read pile/next-in-series shelf for some reason.

I'm annoyed it came out the same day as Age of War, but as I've already finished that I've jumped right into this one.

Mark | 482 comments Just read the first section with the reporter, and started chapter 1, will read more tomorrow morning on the bus to work.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Lol I was going to ask about this one Rob - go figure. I don't have a great grasp of what happened in the last book, so hopefully I won't be too lost with this one. But yeah - I need to start it um....sometime. I have an audiobook going, but it is non-fiction, so I may pause that one and do this first.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I'm remembering snippets of the previous book so far. I wish all authors included a short summary of previous events (like in the last Red Sister book). That would have been helpful. But oh well - I DO remember that I like this world.

Mark | 482 comments Luckily enough I read the second one not long ago, so it was fresh in my mind.

message 7: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

So I'm up through Chapter 15:

I'm remember some stuff at this point, but there are still some details that are fuzzy at best.

(view spoiler)

Suzanne | 1582 comments My audio books are slow in the summer - although I have a 3-4 hour drive to the airport tomorrow night, so I'm sure I'll get a chunk listened to then.

Through Chapter 6 (view spoiler)

I don't have a whole lot else to comment on yet, especially since I get here and because of audio, names escape me a bit. But I'm enjoying it so far, even if I feel amnesiac.

message 9: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzanne wrote: "My audio books are slow in the summer ."

Good! You're like 100 books ahead of me for the year already!!!

And yeah, I liked that part you mentioned in your spoiler too.

message 10: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark | 482 comments Nearly a quarter of the way through, pace seems to have slowed.

message 11: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark | 482 comments Got to halfway, and still finding it great.

Suzanne | 1582 comments At about Chapter 21
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark | 482 comments Think that was a blessing Suzanne.

message 14: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm finding it a bit slow myself. I'm still enjoying it, but I wish the pace was a bit faster. I'm worried this is going to be like Queen of Fire where it was very slow until the last bit then everything felt rushed.

Spoilers throuch Chapter 25:

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark | 482 comments I think you had just forgotten who she was Rob.

message 16: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark | 482 comments I finished this at 125am uk time, I couldn’t put it down the pace really ramps up in the last 25% of the book. I really enjoyed how it ended.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I will look forward to that! I won't be able to listen again until Monday when I leave Seattle. Too many distractions :)

message 18: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I had a lot of distractions myself and didn't listen at all on Sunday, but got back to things on Monday and finished last night.

I enjoyed it overall, but didn't love it. It felt slow in places. I'm thinking like a 3.5 star rounded up rating.

I agree things really start ramping up at the end though, which is probably what bumps it up to a 4 for me.

I thought it was a much better/stronger finish to a series than Queen of Fire, which had been my main concern coming in.

However I don't really feel like there is much to discuss beyond what I've already said. Or at least nothing is jumping out as something I'm just itching to talk about.

Mark seemed to feel that way about the whole book. :-P

message 19: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark | 482 comments I did indeed Rob, his style of writing does really sit well with my reading comfort.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I hope to finish today. I'm not hating it but I'm not making extra time to read it either. Lol that should be my star rating system. :)

For me, I don't like the multiple points of view at all - they just don't work well to hold my interest. However, while thinking of the story, I suppose I can see why most of them have to be there. I'd enjoy it more though if the number of points of view was cut down.

I listened to a couple hours yesterday but didn't pay as much attention as I should have. But I'm not sure if I'm motivated enough to go back and re-listen or if I'll just go from there.