Sci-Fi Group Book Club discussion

Books of the Month Nominations > Books of the month nominations for July

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg, Muad'Dib (last edited Jul 09, 2018 12:49AM) (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
It's time to make suggestions for our July group reads! As per usual, all suggestions made in this topic will be listed in a poll in a few days so that we can vote on the two books for the monthly group read.

If a book has featured in a previous group read in the last 12 months, please do not suggest it for this next group read. You may, however, feel free to repeat any earlier unsuccessful suggestions you (or anybody else) made in previous nomination topics.

message 2: by David (last edited Jul 08, 2018 05:10PM) (new)

David Lutkins | 0 comments I'll nominate The Rediscovery of Man: The Complete Short Science Fiction of Cordwainer Smith. Volume contains all of the stories in Smith's Instrumentality of Mankind universe except, I believe, Norstrilia.

Rated 4.41 on Goodreads. Is a long collection, though: over 660 pages.

message 3: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
David wrote: "I'll nominate The Rediscovery of Man: The Complete Short Science Fiction of Cordwainer Smith. Volume contains all of the stories in Smith's Instrumentality of Mankind universe except, ..."

660 pages will be a lot to get through in just a month but I'm sure some will appreciate a doorstopper like, especially if they are on vacation.

message 4: by Mel (new)

Mel | 83 comments I nominate House of Suns
It’s got some great reviews and I am going to start reading it anyway :)

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 10 comments David wrote: "I'll nominate The Rediscovery of Man: The Complete Short Science Fiction of Cordwainer Smith. Volume contains all of the stories in Smith's Instrumentality of Mankind universe except, ..."

I'd love to try it, but anything over 500 in a month is a big ask for me. Could we spread it out over two months if it wins?

message 6: by David (new)

David Lutkins | 0 comments Phil wrote: "I'd love to try it, but anything over 500 in a month is a big ask for me. Could we spread it out over two months if it wins? "

I think that's a good idea, if the moderators permit it.

message 7: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Mel wrote: "I nominate House of Suns
It’s got some great reviews and I am going to start reading it anyway :)"

I've read some of Reynolds' short fiction (in e.g. The Mammoth Book of Best New SF 19) but haven't read any of his long fiction as yet. Maybe it would be a good time to start. But then I have such a large TBR stack to go through too!

Phil wrote: "David wrote: "I'll nominate The Rediscovery of Man: The Complete Short Science Fiction of Cordwainer Smith. Volume contains all of the stories in Smith's Instrumentality of Mankind uni..."

David wrote: "Phil wrote: "I'd love to try it, but anything over 500 in a month is a big ask for me. Could we spread it out over two months if it wins? "

I think that's a good idea, if the moderators permit it."

The group reads are intended to provide a focus for reading and discussion for members but this doesn't have to end on the specified date. The topics remain open so if it takes some people two or three months to finish a book, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to comment on their progress or their response to the book several weeks after the group read has technically finished. I'm all for discussions to keep going until the topic is exhausted rather than closing discussions on an arbitrary date.

What do you think yourselves?

message 8: by Richard, Astro (new)

Richard Buro (rwburo1outlookcom) | 35 comments Mod
If we go to longer works, let's split the read over 2 months at least, please.

message 9: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Richard wrote: "If we go to longer works, let's split the read over 2 months at least, please."

If this is what members would prefer, we could have two-month and one-month group reads going on simultaneously to reflect the variable length of books selected by the group. Would this work for you, Richard?

message 10: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
I'll nominate two Arthur C. Clarke novels which I've had for years and never got around to reading: Rendezvous with Rama and A Fall of Moondust.

Since the search function of the add book/author button isn't working I've had to manually construct those links. Hopefully, the engineers will restore search functionality soon.

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen Niedzwiecki | 16 comments House of Suns looks good (o:

message 12: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
And the poll will go live in just over 14 hours here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1....

message 13: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
...and the topics for the winning books in the poll (The Rediscovery of Man: The Complete Short Science Fiction of Cordwainer Smith and Rendezvous with Rama) can be found here and here.

If anyone would like to set up buddy read topics for the books that didn't garner enough votes for group reads, feel free to do so!