Play Book Tag discussion

Red Clocks
This topic is about Red Clocks
July 2018: Dystopian > Red Clocks by Leni Zumas - 3.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Imagine if you will, a United States in which Roe v Wade has been overturned, abortion has been outlawed and replaced by the 28th Amendment - The Personhood Amendment. Through the lives of 4 different women, Zumas examines this issue. At the same time it speaks to how women are seen by society; spinster, mother, witch, expendable.

While not as visionary as I hoped, it felt all too realistic and possible for that to be the case, it was definitely a novel I will keep thinking about and would make an excellent book club selection, if you are willing to tread the politically frought topic.

Susie | 4488 comments It is politically charged, isn’t it? Even from over here I have to tread lightly as my husband’s family are very religious. At a family gathering over the weekend someone asked me what I had been reading and I chose to avoid mentioning this one!

Nicole D. | 1497 comments I'm so glad you are back and writing reviews! I gave this 3ish as well

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Susie, is definitely political. I try to tread lightly with political topics too, but I had rather enough this last week after one too many bigoted comments about a senseless shooting of an unarmed black boy in the back here in Pittsburgh and the protests that have since swept the city. I said a few words and stormed off, and it rather ruined my night. None of them are readers so at least I didn't have to discuss abortion too, because they are all super Catholic and it wouldn't have gone over well.

Thanks Nicole! I am finally starting to feel myself again after a horrible first half to the year, and I hope that feeling sticks around.

Anita Pomerantz | 6748 comments Sara wrote: "Susie, is definitely political. I try to tread lightly with political topics too, but I had rather enough this last week after one too many bigoted comments about a senseless shooting of an unarmed..."

So happy to "see" you Sara and hopeful that part II of 2018 is much, much better!!!