What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

May Swenson
This topic is about May Swenson
SOLVED: Other > SOLVED. Sci-Fi Poem Read in 1990; Cars on Earth's Highways, as Viewed from Above by Aliens [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Aug 16, 2009 04:26PM) (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 23 comments I'm trying to remember the name and author of a science fiction POEM that we read when I was a sophomore in high school (fall 1990 or spring 1991). We did a science fiction unit and read a bunch of sci-fi short stories like Harrison Bergeron and poems, etc. This poem was about aliens looking down on earth and seeing these creatures (cars) racing down the streets and highways. The aliens mused about what they saw, wondering whether the globby soft tissues inside the hard metal skeletons were the creatures' brains or their guts?

Can anyone out there help with this? I doubt it was that rare of a poem. I'm hoping there's a high school English teacher (or someone!) out there who will know.

Thank you!

message 2: by rivka (new)

rivka | 303 comments You're sure it was a poem? Because that reminds me of the 1991 short, THEY'RE MADE OUT OF MEAT.

message 3: by Rachel (last edited Aug 16, 2009 10:21PM) (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 23 comments I found that short story.
http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings....

While that is definitely NOT it, I'm sure we read that story during our Sci-Fi unit in 10th grade English class. So we are on the right track.

I don't remember the poem having any dialog. It was more like a poetic alien looking out over the landscape and philosophizing about what he/she saw.

message 4: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (shumpgullion) | 28 comments Sounds like "Southbound on the Freeway" by May Swenson. That link will take you to a copy of the poem online, and there are also a bunch of articles/study guides about it online, like this article on Answers.com.

Is that the one? If it is, I read it in high school too, but had completely forgotten about it until I read your post!

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 23 comments Yahooo! Yes, Marilyn, that's definitely IT!

"A tourist came in from Orbitville,
parked in the air, and said:

The creatures of this star
are made of metal and glass.

Through the transparent parts
you can see their guts."

OH YES! I gasped as I read the first line, I instantly knew it was the right one.

And the big ending ... it's still in there, just as I remembered! So cool to be reunited with this poem after all these years.

Thank you!

Ain't Good Reads a Bee-You-Tee-Full thing?

message 6: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (shumpgullion) | 28 comments GoodReads is pretty darn awesome. :)

Glad to be of help!