WLE "Kids Deserve It!" discussion

July 9th Chapters 19-22

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Schafer | 15 comments Mod
1) How can you help your colleagues or students learn not to let their failures define them?

2) What benefits could come from looking at things from our kid's perspectives?

3) How are you pushing yourself to take advantage of every minute?

4) Think about someone in history who probably got the alien look. How would our world be different if they hadn't pushed the envelope?

message 2: by Dina (new)

Dina | 7 comments There were a couple of messages that really stuck out at me in this part of the book. We often get caught up (and yes I am guilty of this) with thinking one day of testing judges our entire year. We need to always remember the positive impact we had with children throughout a year. The accountability system is important, and we must use the information to help us reflect on what took place. However, we must always remember there is "more to the story."

I also love the part of the book where we are reminded to tap into the "childlike self." Thinking from the perspective of a child will only allow us to try and fully engage a child in learning each day. What is their perspective on what we do at school? Are we finding ways to reach them? Yes!!! We are! Let's continue to build on that. Our Eagles deserve it. :)

message 3: by Racheal (new)

Racheal Ham | 4 comments 1) One of the ways we can help our students not let their failures define them is to be honest about our own failures. Transparency is so important when it comes to building relationships with students. Share with them a time that you made a failure or mistake and talk about what lesson you learned from it. I think this can also be true with colleagues. We often want to look like amazing teachers that never make mistakes, but being vulnerable about our failures can break down walls of insecurities we share between one another. It's not that we want to celebrate the failure, but we do want to share how that failure helped us overcome an obstacle or learn a very important lesson.

2) Our kids have an imagination like no other! Tapping into that can be a key component to building relationships and engaging them in lessons. It's interesting what you'll hear when you walk around the track with kids or play kickball with them at recess. Thinking like the kids, and sometimes even acting like them (in the appropriate way) can help us understand their perspective and connect with them on their level. One fun thing I did this year was create a "secret" class chant with my students. Every day right before dismissal we would do this chant in a circle on the carpet. My kids loved it because it was unique to our class and they helped create it! They thought it was fun to shout in my classroom and they loved that I was doing it with them!

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda Davis | 9 comments I am uncomfortable with failure, but I tell myself and my students that we can let a failure "go" as soon as we try the task again. The results of the attempt are not as important as the attempt itself. Something is learned in each attempt. Failures are scary but not trying anything is FAR worse.
My confession: I got behind in my responding to the chapters as per the suggested timeline. I read ahead and have finished the book. I will read everyone's responses as the discussion continues. I may not post again. Here are some of the "feels" I connected with- Chap. 18 "Being an educator is exhausting, even deflating at times." My thoughts were, the first part of that sentence- always, the second part, often. I planned some fixes for myself for those problems.
On pg. 125 "Our most important job is to love kids and convince them they are absolutely incredible..." " Academics are a bonus!" I have tried not to take this quote out of context, but I strongly disagree that academics are a bonus- I suspect that the author means in some moments it is more important to impart those good feelings in students, but I can't agree overall that in the long run we have done right by the students if we don't give them the needed academics, core education so that they can be truly successful. Teachers have educational roles which make more impact when in conjunction with positive family and community members.
Because I feel that giving students an academic advantage - the desire to learn, seek answers-the knowledge that they can study anything and go far beyond what any class any school year presents is so important, I feel constant pressure to use each/ all instructional moments. I am keenly aware of the fact that I can't waste a day because each day is the only one anyone has. ( Time isn't built into our days/ years to redo curriculum pieces. That's scary1)

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 9 comments 4) Many artists had the "alien" look. Vincent Van Gogh's art was never appreciated until long after his death. The works of Henri Matisse were considered the works of a "wild beast." Leonardo DaVinci rarely finished many of his works. But these names became the masters of At History and there is an appreciation, love and admiration for their works.