Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)
This topic is about Honor Among Thieves
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Caine, Rachel--Honor Among Thieves informal buddy read starts 9 July 2018

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Honor Among Thieves by Rachel Caine.

Synopsis
Petty criminal Zara Cole has a painful past that’s made her stronger than most, which is why she chose life in New Detroit instead of moving with her family to Mars. In her eyes, living inside a dome isn’t much better than a prison cell.

Still, when Zara commits a crime that has her running scared, jail might be exactly where she’s headed. Instead Zara is recruited into the Honors, an elite team of humans selected by the Leviathan—a race of sentient alien ships—to explore the outer reaches of the universe as their passengers.

Zara seizes the chance to flee Earth’s dangers, but when she meets Nadim, the alien ship she’s assigned, Zara starts to feel at home for the first time. But nothing could have prepared her for the dark, ominous truths that lurk behind the alluring glitter of starlight.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 07, 2018 06:58PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Checking in looking forward to reading this with you all.

Deanna | 2966 comments Checking in from Team Flitwick. Thanks for suggesting this, Laura.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments No problem! As a fan of Caine I have to read it. I'm also tying to read some of the books I have before returning them to the library unread!

I've read most of her Morganville vampire series and her new thriller series that this will be an interesting read; and Co -authored . Maybe no expectations are needed? I am excited to read this!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I enjoy both these authors so it’ll be interesting to see what they came up with together.

(In for Team Tonks)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments In for Team Severus Snape!

I probably won't start until Tuesday since I want to finish Smoke and Iron (also by Rachel Caine) first :) Don't think I've ever read Ann Aguirre so will be interested in seeing what flavor she adds to it.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I haven't read anything by Ann Aguirre either. Looking forward to reading this one tonight.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Just read through chapter one. This seems like it’s going to be a suspenseful, interesting adventure. My initial thoughts:

The Leviathan - (view spoiler)

Zara - (view spoiler)

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I think I ' m page 15. I should have read the book synopsis. Oh dear; this is so far away from what I usually read. I am however willing to keep going.
I 'll come back when I finish the chapter.

message 12: by Deanna (last edited Jul 11, 2018 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deanna | 2966 comments I picked up my copy from the library today and read part one. This one really hits the ground running. It's a nice change of pace from the last couple that have been dragging at the start.

Derry - (view spoiler)

Zara - (view spoiler)

Leviathans - (view spoiler)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "I think I ' m page 15. I should have read the book synopsis. Oh dear; this is so far away from what I usually read. I am however willing to keep going.
I 'll come back when I finish the chapter."

Yeah, this is more YA Science Fiction. Reminds me of Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) by Ernest Cline and Warcross (Warcross, #1) by Marie Lu and I enjoyed both of those. I haven’t read a book with space travel in a while but I’m enjoying this.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Deanna wrote: "I picked up my copy from the library today and read part one. This one really hits the ground running. It's a nice change of pace from the last couple that have been dragging at the atart.

Derry -..."

Finished Part 1 (Chp. 1-5) and I agree with all your comments, Deanna. Regarding Derry, (view spoiler)

I’m really intrigued by Nadim. (view spoiler) This should definitely hold my interest all the way through.

Deanna | 2966 comments Finished part 2 today...

Zara - (view spoiler)

Nadim - (view spoiler)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1202 comments If you lovely ladies don't mind I think I'm going to join you on this one. :) Just got my copy from the library.

Deanna | 2966 comments Read part three and kept going to the end! 5 stars for me!

Typhon - (view spoiler)

The secrets - (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2966 comments Talia wrote: "Just read through chapter one. This seems like it’s going to be a suspenseful, interesting adventure. My initial thoughts:

The Leviathan - [spoilers removed]

Zara - [spoilers removed]"

Love the Stargate reference, and I agree. I'm surprised there has not been more skepticism from humans about the motives or demands regarding the obvious secrets.

message 19: by Shelby (last edited Jul 12, 2018 05:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1202 comments So I just finished Part 1.

I'm enjoying this a lot so far. It reads really quickly and Zara is great. I like her energy and her attitude. She's not complacent, but still has a internal set of rules.

There's a lot to take in in this opening section. But the strongest thing I'm getting, has anyone seen "Farscape?" I swear all I can think of with the Leviathan's is that show. That's even what their ships were called I think. Anyway just an interesting correlation.

As for the story... (view spoiler)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1202 comments Ok, want to know what I'm already dreading...

The fact that this is ONLY BOOK ONE IN THE SERIES AND THE REST AREN'T OUT YET! GRRRRR!

Now that that's out of my system :-p

Finished Part 2!

Loving Zara more and more. Bea and Nadim are awesome as well. I really hope that Bea and Zara's friendship grows in leaps and bounds as they start on their journey.

(view spoiler)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1202 comments Yep totally right in my feelings over here...

Part 3 in the bag...

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Shelby (last edited Jul 12, 2018 09:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1202 comments Gah! That last part spins everything!

(view spoiler) This was awesome.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Wow Shelby you flew thru it! Started a little late but so far am liking it. Am thru Part 2 now -

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Talia wrote: "Just read through chapter one. This seems like it’s going to be a suspenseful, interesting adventure. My initial thoughts:

(view spoiler)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1202 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Wow Shelby you flew thru it! Started a little late but so far am liking it. Am thru Part 2 now -

At first I thought it was going to be a little like Artemis (the thief MC) but it's not even close..."

Yeah I read pretty dang fast. And it's my day off so I had all afternoon to myself which was nice.

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Shelby wrote: "Cathy M. wrote: "Wow Shelby you flew thru it! Started a little late but so far am liking it. Am thru Part 2 now -

At first I thought it was going to be a little like Artemis (the thief MC) but it..."

Well spent for a day off then :) Especially for a book that you enjoyed!

Re your spoiler - Oh, that is so very true!!! I'm mostly listening to this (also have the ebook & was reading on my breaks earlier) so I' should finish it tomorrow! Can't wait to read the other spoilers...

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Shelby wrote: "So I just finished Part 1.

I'm enjoying this a lot so far. It reads really quickly and Zara is great. I like her energy and her attitude. She's not complacent, but still has a internal set of rule..."

I haven’t seen Farscape but now I’m curious to check it out! Regarding the Leviathan, (view spoiler)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Shelby wrote: "Yep totally right in my feelings over here...

Part 3 in the bag...

[spoilers removed]"

Finished Part 3, and regarding Nadim, (view spoiler)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished the book and gave it 4 stars. It was a fun, quick read, and I haven’t read a book that takes place on a spaceship in a while, so that was cool. Looking forward to seeing how things develop in the next book (next year - ugh!).

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Didn't get to listen to as much today as I hoped but trying to get thru more before I go to bed!

Thru Part 3 -

(view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments I just got this from the library, so I'm hoping to start reading this tonight!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Cathy M. wrote: "Didn't get to listen to as much today as I hoped but trying to get thru more before I go to bed!

Thru Part 3 -

So that's why all the musicians! Crazy how deep the bond is between Zara & Nadim. A..."

Regarding the deep sleep (view spoiler)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Snowtulip wrote: "I just got this from the library, so I'm hoping to start reading this tonight!"

I hope you like it -- it was a fun read for me!

Deanna | 2966 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Didn't get to listen to as much today as I hoped but trying to get thru more before I go to bed!

Thru Part 3 - ..."

I totally agree about the secrets. There will be some answers in part 4.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Finished this last night. It lulled a little around the middle for me but that last like 30% was crazy!

(view spoiler)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Cathy M. wrote: "Finished this last night. It lulled a little around the middle for me but that last like 30% was crazy!

You would think the Elders would warn the younger Leviathans about the threats - those spid..."

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see in the next book more of the Leviathan (view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Deanna wrote: "Read part three and kept going to the end! 5 stars for me!

Typhon - [spoilers removed]

The secrets - [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Talia wrote: "Cathy M. wrote: "Didn't get to listen to as much today as I hoped but trying to get thru more before I go to bed!

Thru Part 3 -

So that's why all the musicians! Crazy how deep the bond is betwee..."

(view spoiler)

Deanna | 2966 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Finished this last night. It lulled a little around the middle for me but that last like 30% was crazy!

You would think the Elders would warn the younger Leviathans..."

This is the part that puzzles me the most. I'm hoping the next book will have more info, but I wish I didn't have to wait until February to read it.

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Talia wrote: "Just read through chapter one. This seems like it’s going to be a suspenseful, interesting adventure. My initial thoughts:

That opening chapter with the Leviathan was so good, it really just captured me and made me so excited to see what is going to go on with this story :D

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Snowtulip wrote: "Talia wrote: "Just read through chapter one. This seems like it’s going to be a suspenseful, interesting adventure. My initial thoughts:

Zara - [spoilers remove..."

I know, right? And I love that they included a pic of a Leviathan. I had started with the audiobook, so when I got the Kindle book that was a nice surprise.

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Talia wrote: "Snowtulip wrote: "Talia wrote: "Just read through chapter one. This seems like it’s going to be a suspenseful, interesting adventure. My initial thoughts:

Zara ..."

I know, I'm glad now that it was the kindle book rather than the audio that came in for the library hold :D

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Finished part one:

(view spoiler)

Right now my curiosity is ramped up and ready for Nadim!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Snowtulip wrote: "Finished part one:

I really do not think her Earth troubles are going to go away, there are still so many loose threads there - especially since she knows more about this new drug and willingness ..."

Ugh, her dad is such a jerk! (view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Wow Shelby you flew thru it! Started a little late but so far am liking it. Am thru Part 2 now -

"

Completely agree on Part 2 (view spoiler)

I'm curious to see what happens next, I'm hoping to finish tonight!

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Shelby wrote: "Ok, want to know what I'm already dreading...

The fact that this is ONLY BOOK ONE IN THE SERIES AND THE REST AREN'T OUT YET! GRRRRR!

Now that that's out of my system :-p

Finished Part 2!

Loving..."

I'm feeling your pain about there being no other books to read yet!!

message 47: by Snowtulip (last edited Jul 20, 2018 08:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Finished this last night. It lulled a little around the middle for me but that last like 30% was crazy!

..."

Regarding the leviathans (view spoiler)

The action really kept coming at the end! I absolutely love Bea, Nadim and Zara and I'm ready for the next book :D

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Snowtulip wrote: "Cathy M. wrote: "Finished this last night. It lulled a little around the middle for me but that last like 30% was crazy!

..."

Regarding the leviathans..."

(view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Snowtulip wrote: "Cathy M. wrote: "Finished this last night. It lulled a little around the middle for me but that last like 30% was crazy!

..."

Regarding the leviathans..."

."

Me too, hopefully we'll learn more about them in the next book...which is so far away!!

(view spoiler)