Play Book Tag discussion

Social Creature
This topic is about Social Creature
Archive: Other Books > Social Creature / Tara Isabella Burton 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Meli (melihooker) | 3682 comments Social Creature is a kinda Sex and the City meets Single White Female (I may not have come up with that on my own) or as the dust cover says "A Talented Mr. Ripley for the digital age.

I was completely engrossed in this story. It's about obsession with appearances, success, fitting in, being a part of an unpenetrable group.

I would give it 5 stars, but it doesn't fit the criteria of being recommendable to anyone. I think some readers would absolutely loathe the characters. Often narcissistic, vapid, faux intellectual, not really relatable characters coupled with some really cringe dialogue sprinkled throughout, many readers will probably be put off by the novel. I can't explain it well, but for me I was really hooked until the end. And the dialogue was so necessary for these characters. Not cringe as in poorly written, just so because of the character's deplorable nature.

If you like a New York City setting, socialites, gossip, dark undertones, a little weirdness, then I highly recommend.

message 2: by Joi (last edited Jul 10, 2018 01:19PM) (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Meli wrote: "If you like a New York City setting, socialites, gossip, dark undertones, a little weirdness, then I highly recommend. ."

Sounds up my alley. Plus unlikable characters? Also normally a win for me. Added to the TBR, thanks Meli!