What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fiction read in early 1970s. During the Salem Witch trials, unconventional lady has nephew who's worried because she's suspected of being immortal. Two ship captain brothers in the story. Title had "witch" or "wake" in it? Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica Macklin | 3 comments I read this book in the early 1970s, it was checked out from a public library. The story is set in around the time of the Salem Witch trials. An unconventional lady had a nephew that was worried about her. He stabbed his leg with a needle in order somehow help with her suspected immorality. There were two ship captain brothers that became involved. The lady left town and the nephew went after her. at the end, she was in jail. Both brothers offered to marry her. I think that the title had "witch" and "wake" in it but internet searches do not return the right book.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
Gordon, as you saw in the popup box when you posted your comment, please put some plot details in your header. This makes your query a lot easier to solve.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36605 comments Mod
I added plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it (without spoilers) using the small "edit" link on the desktop website (not the mobile app).

message 5: by Monica (new)

Monica Macklin | 3 comments Thanks but this is not the book I remembered.

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (swynn68) | 81 comments There's Garland Roark's Wake of the Red Witch.

I haven't read it, but it seems to match your recollections of the title and of a nautical rivalry. It was also made into a film starring a young John Wayne, which I haven't seen. Most of the descriptions you'll find online are about the film while descriptions of the book are harder to find. There's very little about witchcraft in those descriptions, but maybe it was toned down for the film? (But then the film was a Republic release, who would rather have tended to tone that sort of thing *up*)

message 7: by Monica (new)

Monica Macklin | 3 comments I may have the title completely wrong. The Wake of the Red Witch is also not the book in question. Thanks anyway.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
Monica, are you still looking for this or did you find it?