Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Experienced reader with a few open slots [CLOSED]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alan (new)

Alan Ross | 2 comments Hey everybody,

I'm an experienced story analyst and occasionally I have some time to do beta reads, mostly just to keep my storytelling chops in good shape. Any genre is fine.

I do 30,000-foot-view constructive feedback about what it was like to read your work. I don't really get into the advice thing. I don't charge, however:

1.) The work needs to be in beta condition, meaning it's a final draft that needs some fine-tuning or is trying to find its target market. In other words, it's not a round of editing–that's another service. Whether it's proofed or not is up to you, although putting your best foot forward isn't the worst idea.

2.) I strongly believe that manuscripts need to earn the read. If it doesn't grab me or hold my attention, I'll let you know the details. Think of it as having a test run at an agent or editor but from someone who wants you to succeed.

3.) If it's still somewhere in the draft process, I'll probably pass, reason being that it's incredibly difficult to provide useful feedback when the story is still evolving. And very often that can be useful feedback as well.

Just hit me up with a title, word count, genre (what bookstore section it goes in) and logline (your story in 1-2 sentences).

Cheers!

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Morey | 15 comments Alan, I have two completed historical fiction manuscripts intended as an original and a sequel, although the sequel can be read as a stand-alone story. Ketsumeidan is 60,000 words set in Tokyo in 1932 and 1933, and has a police inspector and a geisha combining forces to prevent the rise of militarism. Takeyara is 90,000 words set in Tokyo and in Shanghai from 1936 to 1946, and has the police inspector and geisha dealing with the Seinin Shoko coup, the Sada Abe murder case, the 1937 war in China, and later the war in the rest of the Pacific. This war is told from the perspective of a young, conscripted soldier who becomes involved with espionage work in Shanghai, while those in Tokyo have to deal with the consequences of total war.

I'm fairly happy with Ketsumeidan but I'm not sure about Takeyari (bamboo spear of the last line of defence of the Emperor). This is the story I would like to be beta read, if you're interested. I will also send you a message.

Mark Morey

message 3: by John (new)

John Graham Wilson | 15 comments Alan,

I have been reading this beta group for some time and waiting for someone to talk like this. My work is not yet in top beta condition so I will press the friend button in anticipation of the right time to submit.

John

message 4: by Penny (new)

Penny Fields-Schneider | 6 comments Hi Alan,
I have 1100000 words ready for beta reading. .... Would love you to read any part thereof!

Set in the 1930s Divided into five parts it is the story of Jack, a young man with extraordinary natural artistic talent, travels to England to visit relatives. His talent brings him into contact with the extraordinary Bloomsbury artists of the UK, and renowned art critic Roger Fry who arrange for him to attend the Julian Academie, Montparnasse, Paris.
He, fellow art student Andres, and his beautiful twin sister Carolina explore the bohemian art world of Paris, Roger Fry engineers a meeting with Gertrude Stein and Picasso. Jack continues to achieve artistic accolades. However, illness besets Andres, and Jack accompanies he and Carolina to their home in Malaga, where they share a life absorbed in art, romance, Spanish culture, until, a combination of events leads them to Australia.
Art remains their passion, and Jack and Carolina relinquish conventional values to become entwined in the extraordinary Montsalvat movement led by Justus Jorgenson, with tragic personal consequences.

This story is all but finished, and I would appreciate any feedback!
Please contact me on pennyfields4@gmail.com

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan Ross | 2 comments Thanks, John!

John wrote: "Alan,

I have been reading this beta group for some time and waiting for someone to talk like this. My work is not yet in top beta condition so I will press the friend button in anticipation of the..."

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 10, 2018 09:48AM) (new)

Hey Alan,

The title is Welcome to Nothing. It is a sci-fi comedy of about 75,000 words.

In an absurd 22nd century landscape the kind and portly, Jonathan, was provoked by his illegitimate father, Francis, to help create two genderless beings to find the truths behind nature vs. nurture. Little does Jonathan know that Francis has an ulterior motive to use the children as a weapon to replace humanity.

Let me know if this would be of any interest to you and I'll send over the link.

Thank you.

Matt

message 7: by Dave (new)

Dave Anderson | 54 comments Alan, I have a highly polished 72k NA Romeo and Juliet styled Romance where Romeo recounts his story during prison sponsored group therapy for convicted murderers.