Play Book Tag discussion

Riddley Walker
This topic is about Riddley Walker
July 2018: Dystopian > Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments First of all, let me say that favorite children's books are wonderful, but the author just may have a dark side. Bread and Jam for Francis, this is not.

What it is, though, is a really good read.

Set 2000 years or so in the future, this is a brief story of how a young man (12 yrs old is manhood in this time period) survives. The Earth, ruined by nuclear war in 1997, is recovering, but mankind has been blasted back to the Stone Age- no one has figured out the technology from before. This has made people more civil in some ways, and more savage in others. The plot revolves around different groups trying to get yellow rock to make the 1 Big 1 again, and have all the political power.
This is written in what seems to be a made up language- it really is more phonetic spellings, with some made up words, and some "adjustments" of others. At times the language is humorous, other times it's hard to understand unless you read aloud. Once I got the hang of it, the story moved much faster.

This is worth a read if you like the experimental- but it is pretty violent. No badgers were hurt, though.

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3104 comments :) I'm so glad that Francis can continue to have bread and jam.

The secret lives of children's authors can be very interesting.

message 3: by Amy N. (new) - added it

Amy N. | 256 comments That made up dialect looks fascinating! I love language-y things like that. Definitely going on my tbr list.