Play Book Tag discussion

The Girl She Used to Be
This topic is about The Girl She Used to Be
Archive: Other Books > The Girl She Used to Be / David Cristofano - 2**

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6388 comments The Girl She Used to Be by David Cristofano
The Girl She Used To Be – David Cristofano
2**

From the book jacket: When Melody Grace McCartney was six years old, she and her parents witnessed an act of violence so brutal that it changed their lives forever. The federal government lured them into the Witness Protection Program with the promise of safety, but the program took Melody’s name, her home, her family, and ultimately her innocence. Now twenty years later … when the feds spirit her off to begin yet another new life in yet another new town, she’s stunned by a man who accosts her and calls her by her real name. Jonathan Bovaro, the mafioso sent to find her, knows her, the real her, and it’s a thrill Melody can’t resist.

My reaction
That last half-sentence from the book jacket should have warned me (that is, if I’d read the jacket in advance). But I’ll get to that later.

On the positive side, Cristofano writes a fast-paced suspense filled story full of twists and turns. Like Melody herself, the reader doesn’t know whom to trust, which story is factual, which person truly has her best interests at heart. I was quickly hooked and turning pages far into the night. But then …

That “thrill” that Melody feels coming from the Don’s son, Jonathan... Sure he buys her nice clothes, corrects himself when tempted to swear in front of her, comes to her defense when a college boy bothers her in a bar, and buys her wonderful meals with fine wine. But he’s hardly a candidate for “best boyfriend.” WHAT is she thinking?! What is HE thinking?! The situation just stretches credulity too far in my opinion.

At the end I’m left just shaking my head and muttering “Huh?”

LINK to my review

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

While you did not like the book, I loved your review! I don't want to read the book but you broke it down very well.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6388 comments Thanks ....

Amy N. | 256 comments Oh my gosh, I read this once and forgot about it! Your review sounded so familiar so I read some other reviews and it's totally the one I was thinking of. I think mine had a different cover. Man, when did I read this...? It must have been college. I remember liking it, but also thinking it was just beach read material. Wow, what a trip haha.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6388 comments Amy N. wrote: "Oh my gosh, I read this once and forgot about it! Your review sounded so familiar so I read some other reviews and it's totally the one I was thinking of. I think mine had a different cover. Man, w..."

According to the GR record ... first published in 2009.