Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > CEELEE'S JUNE READS

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 211 comments Another great reading month for me! I only finished two books though: . SUNBURN by Laura Lippman which I really enjoyed even though I didn't like Adam or Polly much! and THE SILENCE OF THE LIBRARY by Miranda James, #5 in the Cat In The Stacks Mystery series. Loved it! I also got really nostalgic when they were talking about the old Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and Trixie Beldon books and i might even pull some of them out and read them again! :)

I am nearly finished with MY COUSIN RACHEL by Daphne du Maurier. I have really enjoyed this book! I know I read it a long time ago in high school and didn't care for it but I don't think i really understood the subtleties of the novel. This time I am loving it! I just started FEBRUARY by Lisa Moore and think it is going to be pretty depressing for summer but I am reading it for a Canada Day task on SRC Summer Challenge. I also just started CRIMSON LAKE by Candice fox. Wow...what a great book! It is funny and quirky, serious and creepy at the same time. I also like that it is set in Queensland Australia.

Getting closer to finishing SLEEPING BEAUTIES by Stephen King! The story focus has shifted and it has become more interesting again. This book definitely has too many POVs! I am also taking on THE SILENT CORNER by Dean Koontz. It is OK, but I don't feel like it is living up to its hype yet. I really liked the scene i read yesterday where it was raining, we need rain so much but it has been evading us so I will take my rain any way I can get it! :) I am making a lot of progress with A LITTLE NIGHT MURDER by Nancy Martin. It woks really well as a summer book for me. I am glad i set it aside last winter. And finally I am reading an ARC of THE DRAMA TEACHER by Koren Zailckas. To my disappointing it has nothing to do an acting class or even the theatre. It is a story of a woman who learned how to be a con from her father. Pretty good story actually.

OK that's it! Stay cool and please send any wet weather to North Texas and/or Colorado! There is a terrible fire threatening my guy's cabin! Scary! We were there just last week and there were Fire Weather Warnings every day!

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments When you like what you read the numbers don't matter. There are still fire warnings all over the state here in CO. We've had some rain in the fire areas over the last few days, but nowhere near enough. We got some rain here in the Denver metro area the other night, but could use so much more. Fireworks shows were cancelled all over the state on the 4th due to fire hazards everywhere.

message 3: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 211 comments It is terrible Melodie! We were up near Aspen where the Christine Fire is near Basalt. It started July 4 when a couple guys at a shooting range were shooting illegal I think they called them open rounds. They were arrested and charged with fourth degree arson. I am back in Texas now and we have had some fires around here too but nothing like Basalt. The entire West and Southwest could use some good soaking rain!

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments Ceelee wrote: "It is terrible Melodie! We were up near Aspen where the Christine Fire is near Basalt. It started July 4 when a couple guys at a shooting range were shooting illegal I think they called them open r..."

They were shooting tracer rounds. I didn't even know you could buy them. There was no reason for them to be shooting them.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15059 comments Ceelee: nice list! Most of the time when I don't like any of the character I don't like the book, but Sunburn was an exception.
I hope the fires are contained soon; so very scary.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1654 comments Ceelee, I really enjoyed your reviews! Love the Miranda James series.

message 7: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 211 comments Thanks Melodie! You can tell I don't know much about firearms.! Things are better today. Cabin is still standing and some people were allowed to go back to their homes and even some businesses are open. We have a friend in the area keeping us posted.

message 8: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 211 comments Ann...I am the same way! I tend to like books based on how much I like or relate to the characters. Sunburn was really good though. Maybe it was because I have read Lippman before and clicked with the familiarity of` a writer I "know."

message 9: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 211 comments Susie..I think one reason I like Cat In The Stacks series so much, besides the library setting and a feline in residence, is the main character is a guy and that is so rare in cozy mysteries. I can't even think of another cozy that has one.
Plus I have a major crush on Diesel!

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15059 comments Ceelee: I may have to give this series a try!
Ceelee wrote: "Susie..I think one reason I like Cat In The Stacks series so much, besides the library setting and a feline in residence, is the main character is a guy and that is so rare in cozy mysteries. I can..."

message 11: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments Ann wrote: "Ceelee: I may have to give this series a try!
Ceelee wrote: "Susie..I think one reason I like Cat In The Stacks series so much, besides the library setting and a feline in residence, is the main ch..."

The Cat in the Stacks is a fun series. Diesel is a Maine Coon cat and after reading these books, I want one!