Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist bio) > Do you know me already? I'm sure you do! ---Max Ernst

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments "_______ was born into a middle-class Catholic family of nine children...._______first learned to paint from ___ father, a strict disciplinarian who was deaf, and a teacher who held an avid interest in academic art....never received any formal training in art: thus ___ was responsible for ___ own artistic techniques.

________ was a shocking and innovative artist who mined ___ unconscious for dreamlike imagery that mocked social conventions...

A soldier ..., _______ emerged deeply traumatized and highly critical of western culture. These charged sentiments directly fed into ___ vision of the modern world as irrational, an idea that became the basis of ___ artwork.

______ devoted much of ___ time to playing and studying chess which ___ revered as an art form.

________ attacked the conventions and traditions of art, all the while possessing a thorough knowledge of European art history. ___ questioned the sanctity of art by creating non-representational works without clear narratives.

_______ attempted to freely paint from ___ inner psyche and in an attempt to reach a pre-verbal state of being. Doing so unleashed ___ primal emotions and revealed ___ personal traumas, which then became the subject of ___ collages and paintings.

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Dali?

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments No but really close!

message 4: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 386 comments Max Ernst?

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Yay Connie!!! You got it!

message 6: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 386 comments A local art museum, the Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford, has a wonderful collection of surrealistic art. School kids on tour are fascinated by the paintings, especially some by Dali. They have at least one by Ernst too.

message 7: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Yes, I visited that Atheneum 40 years ago and recall the surrealist collection. There was a very small surrealist painting by an artist (circa 1938) that I loved and did not recognize the name. He wasn´t one of the biggies.

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments You both and many others are well traveled. That is so awesome! And to be able to remember specific places and the affect they had on you.

I can only say a simple sentence; I think Surrealism is my favorite movement.

I study a lot of psychology and inner workings of consciousness and subconsciousness. I also study neuroscience and the physiology of the brain. I think Surrealism fits well with my interests and helps me study my own consciousness and subconsciousness. A lot of it is in what you ‘think’ you see, not just what the artist is showing...IMO

message 9: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Right on Heather. I wish I had studied more psychology. My grades were highest in Psych and I had a strong interest in it. You´ve got Surrealism down pat. It´s about the id.

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Thank you Geoffrey!