Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book and Author of the Month > August 2018 READER Nominations

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Jul 07, 2018 07:45AM) (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2643 comments Mod
This thread is for nominations for READER category for August 2018.

READER books need to be currently in print in both paperback and ebook, and readily available through most of the normal places to get books. They must be Space Opera, which means a spaceship has to be involved in the story somewhere. If it is part of a series, it needs to be suitable to being read without having read other books in the series.

RULES:
* you may nominate one book on this thread.
* you may second as many nominations as you like on this thread.
* it is okay to nominate the same book on more than one nomination thread, as long as it meets the criteria
* don't nominate a book we already have on our bookshelf
* If a book you nominate or second is selected, you are expected to post at least one comment about it on the thread about the book.
* In about two weeks I will draw a book randomly, with each second being one raffle ticket for the book. That is, a book with three seconds (so four of us want it) will get three chances in the pool.

It is likely helpful if you know something about a book that has been nominated if you mention it in this thread, whether it is for or against the book.

Recently nominated and seconded, so would be good to nominate again:
Ringworld by Larry Niven
Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds
Scout's Progress by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller
Hellhole by Brian Herbert
Sassinak by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Moon

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I nominate Berserker by Fred Saberhagen

message 3: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Ringworld

message 4: by Kateblue (new)

Kateblue | 3 comments Scout's Progress by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller

message 5: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

I gladly second Scout's Progress!

Unfortunately Berserker appears to be out of print in paperback. Is it possibly in print as an omnibus edition? If not it will have to wait until it fits the theme for our Themed nomination thread.

message 6: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 15 comments An Enemy of the State (The LaNague Federation, #1) by F. Paul Wilson An Enemy of the State by F. Paul Wilson

Winner of the Prometheus Hall of Fame Award – a skillful blend of space opera and idea-centered science fiction from F. Paul Wilson.

Peter LaNague’s voice was low but his eyes blazed as he spoke:

"I propose a revolution, one without blood and thunder, but one that will shake this world and the entire outworld mentality as no storm of violence ever shall. History is filled with cosmetic revolutions where a little new paint is daubed on an old face or, in the more violent and destructive examples, a new head set on an old body. Mine will be different, truly radical . . . which means striking at the root. I’m going to teach the outworlds a lesson they will never forget. When I’m through with the Imperium, the people of the outworlds will swear never again to allow matters to reach the state they are in. Never again!"

Meet Peter LaNague—citizen of the planet Tolive, devotee of the Kyfho philosophy, revolutionary agent provocateur.

But LaNague is planning a unique revolution. One that not only topples the entrenched Outworld Imperium, but fundamentally alters every outworlder’s concept of government as well. To accomplish this he must ally himself with a madman, trust the word of the last of Sol System’s robber barons, make incisive use of the consummate warriors from the planet Flint without letting them run amok, confound at every turn the omnipresent forces of the Imperium, and every now and then make it rain money.

But those are the easy parts. His greatest challenge will be to see his plan through to successful completion without becoming the very enemy he has vowed to destroy.

message 7: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Jul 14, 2018 03:47PM) (new)

Summary so far:
Ringworld by Larry Niven Ringworld by Larry Niven. Nominated by Patrick. Awaiting seconds.

Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6) by Sharon Lee Scout's Progress by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Nominated by Kateblue. Seconded by Teresa.

An Enemy of the State (The LaNague Federation, #1) by F. Paul Wilson An Enemy of the State by F. Paul Wilson. Nominated by Danielle. Awaiting seconds.

Disqualified for this category as not currently in print in paperback: Berserker

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 101 comments Courageous by Jack Campbell

Onward, to book 3

message 9: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Jul 14, 2018 06:49PM) (new)

Courageous is book 3 of a series but we have previously read the first two so it’s approved as a nomination. Question for those who have read it : do we need to read those first two books?

message 10: by Erynn (new)

Erynn Wilson (3rynn) | 2 comments I'd like to nom - Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds.

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Teresa wrote: "Summary so far:
Ringworld by Larry Niven Ringworld by Larry Niven. Nominated by Patrick. Awaiting seconds.

Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6) by Sharon Lee [book:Scout's Progress..."

It is available in Kindle for $4.99

message 12: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 898 comments Mod
Teresa wrote: "Courageous is book 3 of a series but we have previously read the first two so it’s approved as a nomination. Question for those who have read it : do we need to read those first two books?"

It's been a while since I read these, but I don't think they can stand alone. I think you need to have read the preceding books.

message 13: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 42 comments I second Ringworld Ringworld by Larry Niven

message 14: by LelaineMarie (new)

LelaineMarie | 9 comments Teresa wrote: "This thread is for nominations for READER category for August 2018.

READER books need to be currently in print in both paperback and ebook, and readily available through most of the normal places ..."

Kateblue wrote: "Scout's Progress by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller"

I heartily second - a really really good book.

message 15: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Scout’s Progress is also available in omnibus editions. Previous one Pilots Choice. Current one The Dragon Variation.

message 16: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary so far:
Ringworld by Larry Niven Ringworld by Larry Niven. Nominated by Patrick. Seconded by Adrian.

Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6) by Sharon Lee Scout's Progress by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Nominated by Kateblue. Seconded by Teresa and LelaineMarie.

An Enemy of the State (The LaNague Federation, #1) by F. Paul Wilson An Enemy of the State by F. Paul Wilson. Nominated by Danielle. Awaiting seconds.

Courageous (The Lost Fleet, #3) by Jack Campbell Courageous by Jack Campbell. Nominated by Mary. Awaiting seconds.

Revelation Space (Revelation Space, #1) by Alastair Reynolds Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. Nominated by Erynn. Awaiting seconds.

Disqualified for this category as not currently in print in paperback: Berserker

message 17: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Unless we get more seconds, the random drawing will be between Ringworld and Scout’s Progress. I’ll close nominations tomorrow.

message 18: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Nominations are now closed. The random numbers picked Ringworld. One of these days we will get Scouts Progress though......

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.